Leander

True Ouddict
Isopropyl alchool is not good cuz it has a big odor ,high vapor presure ,you need something like DPG or BB /TEC , without smell of alchool

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Had never heard of DPG. Have a little 2oz bottle on the way to see how it works. Thank you!

AbuTominaga

Oud Gangster
Had never heard of DPG. Have a little 2oz bottle on the way to see how it works. Thank you!
I suggest a ratio between the ethanol and DPG, as both have solvent properties for different molecular polarity. that's why we use both in perfumery design.

you use DPG for water-soluble molecules, and you use denatured ethanol (96+%) for the alcohol soluble molecules.

as for the alcohol smell, you add about 5% of distilled water to overcome that.

Good luck.

Mario P.

Jinkoh Store
If you add water in oud will be cloudy , ethanol will affect the smell of smooth notes ,only bb and dpg is good for oud oils...but who will destroy good ouds with alchool ? [emoji1787]
Btw is not any ratio to add in oud because you supose to dont do that ,put it can be 30% oud and 70% alchool ...if you want spray version you need ethanol aswell ,but if you stick to swipe ,i suggest only dpg ,will improuve the longevity aswell because contain some glicerin and other isomers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

AbuTominaga

Oud Gangster
from my experience, diluting oud in alcohol or any solvent will change the smell properties to an extent. especially at low concentration rates. you'd be amazed by the notes you'd encounter.

if you're after extracting the leftovers of a sample I personally would add some sandalwood oil and enjoy the fusion.
if you're after making a tiny sample say 1 or 2 mls spray, you can use 95% ethanol and 5% distilled water.
you can look at DPG and water as somewhat interchangeable as both are used for water-soluble molecules.
the water help also in smoothening the alcohol initial burst.

The cloudiness happens when you add too much water and the molecules don't mix in. from my experience most of the molecules that we deal in are usually soluble in ethanol. that's why when adding water you gotta tread carefully not to break the mix and turn it cloudy.

aside from all this technical stuff, I personally do the following:

enjoy the leftovers with sandalwood,
wash them off with ethanol then put that solution in one big bottle, and after accumulating 10 to 20 mls I'd experiment with it and make a personal perfume (samples and bottles leftovers washed with ethanol)+ other oils and roses.

hope this helps.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Sandalwood and oud... not good for me. the oud drowns in the sandalwood very time I try this.

Sandalwood seems to me like it is a big heavy olfactory blanket and kills the subtle scent of oud. I love burning oud and sandalwood but I hate the combination oil form so much I won't even layer them on the same arm.

Use alcohol to wash out those samplers things I think. I find sandalwood modifies scent of oud too much for me.

Last edited:

Mustafa

True Ouddict
Sandalwood and oud... not good for me. the oud drowns in the sandalwood very time I try this.

Sandalwood seems to me like it is a big heavy olfactory blanket and kills the subtle scent of oud. My oud sandalwood experiments have come out quite drab every time. I love burning oud and sandalwood but I hate the combination oil form so much I won't even layer them on the same arm.

Use alcohol to wash out those samplers things I think. I find sandalwood modifies scent of oud too much for me.
Brother I can't agree more with you. Sandal + oud is a no go for me. Unless of course it's used in a Attar where various other ingrediants are present.

Kashi

Oud Beginner

Sandalwood seems to me like it is a big heavy olfactory blanket and kills the subtle scent of oud. I love burning oud and sandalwood but I hate the combination oil form so much I won't even layer them on the same arm.

Now oud + frankincense is entirely different story. I'm totally addicted to this combo.

Ahmed S

Oud Beginner
When adding frankincense which oil do you use? Is there any brands of perfumers products that you recommend?