Kunmeido Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo

Very glad I got more,
I like it more now, than I did two years ago.
I’d say it’s an acquired taste,
and based on my preference.

So I can’t say it’s a “must buy”.

zeedubbya

True Ouddict
Kunmeido Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo

Very glad I got more,
I like it more now, than I did two years ago.
I’d say it’s an acquired taste,
and based on my preference.

So I can’t say it’s a “must buy”.
I have been tossing around buying more of it (with @BrandonGilbert) It’s a very nice incense—lingers forever for me. It took me 3 sticks to get acclimated to it, but now I’m enjoying it.

Today I burned some of Kens latest stuff while cleaning around the house. The Himalayan creation surprised me. Off the stick I thought I would hate it, but it’s really nice. Not what I expected. Also, the newest Devaradu Timber of the Celestials. Although the Frank seems to almost dominate this series of incense, these are ALL masterful creations. This newest one with Ambergris is a major hit. Last months was excellent and the rose version is next level. So good. I wish I would have bought more of them.

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
Ken’s Dragon Clouds today. Pretty stunning example of Tibetan Incense but modernized. The ambergris and frank adds such a nice creamy touch. It feels a little more Japanese than it does Tibetan and I love that.

I followed up that burn with Ken’s Sovereign. He’s on fire lately. I think I like what he’s doing the most out of all the craft incense makers.

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
Not too impressed with Doc’s Rejuvenating Spirit Sinking Coils edition.

I was hoping to get something different from Samadhi but this essentially smells in the same ballpark as Samadhi but not quite as sweet. It’s a very heavy blend and a bit Smokey for my tastes. Not sure how this compares to his other offerings but I’m kind of bummed I spent $100 on this. Learned my lesson that’s for sure!

zeedubbya

True Ouddict
Not too impressed with Doc’s Rejuvenating Spirit Sinking Coils edition.

I was hoping to get something different from Samadhi but this essentially smells in the same ballpark as Samadhi but not quite as sweet. It’s a very heavy blend and a bit Smokey for my tastes. Not sure how this compares to his other offerings but I’m kind of bummed I spent $100 on this. Learned my lesson that’s for sure!
I’ve noticed with the coils, it seems they take some time to settle in or something. When I first picked up the Samadhi and Brunei coils I was thinking same thing you did. Too much heavy woody smoke, not enough scent. Finally, now the Samadhi coils and the Brunei have become really good. No idea why this is? I was actually VERY grouchy about the Samadhi coils because it’s one of my favorites (if not my favorite) and I kept thinking—I’m not doing this again. Any way.. I hope this is your experience as well and the money wasn’t wasted.

As for my incense of the day—I have been patiently burning my way through a bunch of Japanese sticks. I keep going back and forth if I like certain ones or not. Just can’t make up my mind. Seems there’s a vast difference in some sticks. It really drives me crazy that some of these sticks are sold as “Kyara” when they DO NOT smell like Kyara at all. Keep coming back and burning small pieces of Kyara Kokoh and thinking, is this really worth the price of admission. It’s so so good in almost every way, except for price. I really wish I could find a stick of Shoyeido Translucent Path to compare, or maybe I don’t because it’s out of stock. Haha. Maybe some kind-soul on here will reach out and take pity on me and sell me/trade me one. 😉. These non-Kyara smelling sticks sure do make me chatty. 😂

BrandonGilbert

Not that Brandon
Kens Tarakan stick - first time I smelled this stick I thought of Kyara enju and other kyara sticks. The aroma makes me think that perhaps companies might use wood like this instead of actual kyara, since when I burn this I definitely get kynamic elements quite similiar to enju and en no sho. Could be my imagination, but perhaps other noses here could take a gander and see what I mean?

Kunmeido Asuka

Robust agarwood.
But I’m always confused about
Reiryo Koh, it is often listed as
Lysimachiae Herba (Gold Coin Grass),
or Foenun Graecum (Fenugreek).
I guess I’ll have to heat those ingredients myself to unlock this confusion.

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
I’ve noticed with the coils, it seems they take some time to settle in or something. When I first picked up the Samadhi and Brunei coils I was thinking same thing you did. Too much heavy woody smoke, not enough scent. Finally, now the Samadhi coils and the Brunei have become really good. No idea why this is? I was actually VERY grouchy about the Samadhi coils because it’s one of my favorites (if not my favorite) and I kept thinking—I’m not doing this again. Any way.. I hope this is your experience as well and the money wasn’t wasted.

As for my incense of the day—I have been patiently burning my way through a bunch of Japanese sticks. I keep going back and forth if I like certain ones or not. Just can’t make up my mind. Seems there’s a vast difference in some sticks. It really drives me crazy that some of these sticks are sold as “Kyara” when they DO NOT smell like Kyara at all. Keep coming back and burning small pieces of Kyara Kokoh and thinking, is this really worth the price of admission. It’s so so good in almost every way, except for price. I really wish I could find a stick of Shoyeido Translucent Path to compare, or maybe I don’t because it’s out of stock. Haha. Maybe some kind-soul on here will reach out and take pity on me and sell me/trade me one. 😉. These non-Kyara smelling sticks sure do make me chatty. 😂

I wish there was a better way to learn about what goes into these blends to get a better idea of the overall scent but I’m starting to get the picture that all Tang/Song Dynasty recipes are essentially similar sweet spikenard, Agarwood, mugwort, clove, and sandalwood blends.

I absolutely adore Samadhi and feel it’s a superb composition but the coils are so incredibly strong that the 10 pack will last me years.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
sandalwood incense from a local vendor Yizhi incense.
not the top-notch, but better than average. I like this extra short(approx 5cm) incense.
it's easy to light up when you don't have much time.