Himanshu Sharma

True Ouddict
West Malaysian Agarwood sticks from Ken's august release.
Mildly sweet, incensy goodness. I find this stick is very simple, yet very layered. Simple because it's not a blend, just agarwood from malaysia. Complex, because the agarwood itself has spicy peppery clove like undertones.
It's like malaysian agarwood on a heater at medium. Resinous, incensy with subjucated roasted spices.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
CultivatedKinam.jpg

Today I received cultivated kinam(don't ask me) incense from China. I bought it just out of curiosity. how good it can be?

yes, it has a kinam-like scent profile. it gives off an airy, silky, cool sweet fragrance. (very sweet)
however, it lacks something I can't put my finger on. 'extra kick'? 'chi'?

$14.5 for 5gram at this quality? well, I can't deny it's pretty impressive.

I haven't smelt enough kinam to tell much about the differences between real(wild) kinam and this cultivated kinam.
my only kinam reference point is Yamadamatsu's Hojo series.
to me, this one feels like about 20~30% close to what I imagine decent kinam would smell like.

my concern is that I have no idea what they used to cultivate kinam trees. maybe there might be potential health issues
here is the link if you'd like to try this incense https://tinyurl.com/y2yq3zxu

Edit: burned a few more sticks. meh, I'm underwhelmed as I expected. :confused: it gives me a slight tingling itch feeling back of my throat. won't burn it again.

Last edited:

punmaster

True Ouddict
KZ Merauke

I’m sold on the Merauke profile :Inlove:
More about the woods and smoothness,
than sweet pretty stuff.
One of my 1st few experiences with burning oudh was with oudimentary East Indonesian.

https://oudimentary.com/collections/raw-oud-wood/products/east-indonesian?variant=30926613807194

In those early days I thought it was fake oudh because of how light and flaky it was . But now when I heat it, I know its meruake lol. They don't look like regular agarwood.

Shunkohdo Yoshino no haru
and
Kunmeido Asuka

Two similar sticks featuring the
Reiryo Koh herb.
The Asuka has a bitterness,
and more agarwood:)

Then I followed with
Kunmeido’s Kyara Tenpyo
....which has some reiryo koh
....and for the first time,
I’m perceiving it’s kyara notes.

Doing side-by-side comparisons
sometimes makes certain notes
more noticeable....same with oud oils,
but at the same time,
some notes may affect each other.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
Tibetan medical college - holy land grade 2
brilliant blend... the more I burn, the more I get surprised by its extremely potent musky scent.
very aggressive and rough. mind buzz stuff. :confused:
maybe I should explore more of Tibetan incense.

tip: only burn an inch or so. it's super potent.