Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
ByakudanKokonoeKoh(600).jpg

Byakudan Kokonoe Koh(白檀九重香) by Baieido

Byakudan Kokonoe Koh is primarily made based on Mysore sandalwood.
Unlike other 'sweet, woody, and creamy' sandalwood based incense, B.K.K showcase different aspects of sandalwood.

B.K.K diffuses a refreshing, heady fragrance. it is elegant and mellow.
this fragrance gently fills out space and makes you ease and relaxed.

If you're looking for something that is not invasive and soft, B.K.K might be the right choice for you.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
A good old Tokusen Kobunboku from Baieido.

It always reminds me that I don't have to pay a lot to enjoy the olfactory art. Of course, T.K doesn't give me a mind-bending experience but it always stays with me and gives me joy like a good old friend. Baieido certainly putting much effort to keep their price affordable while maintaining quality. Really appreciate their effort. :praying:

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
random comment

For all of those from amongst us who have succeed in making decent sticks, did you realise where the incense sticks from the big famous japanese houses really stand and how much of it is their successful marketing to make your perceive quality? the more of the boutique sticks i smell by others and myself, i become more and more critical of those houses.

I find it even more interesting that people continue to regurgitate the same marketing material, as though they havent learnt nothing about smelling over the many years, the power of words...

random comment

For all of those from amongst us who have succeed in making decent sticks, did you realise where the incense sticks from the big famous japanese houses really stand and how much of it is their successful marketing to make your perceive quality? the more of the boutique sticks i smell by others and myself, i become more and more critical of those houses.

I find it even more interesting that people continue to regurgitate the same marketing material, as though they havent learnt nothing about smelling over the many years, the power of words...

Finding a connoisseur level stick from the current batches available at the big Japanese incense houses is a daunting task. Even the older batches, you’ll get some good stuff and some not so.

For the most part, I find sticks to be like Mukhallats and Oud Oils. The blended ones can be exquisite to poor, depending on the quality of the ingredients and the composition, and the sticks made from agarwood alone, can carry a complex and wonderful profile, as if it were a composition, but only to the extent of the quality of the agarwood used, and how the stick was formed also.

Last edited:

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Finding a connoisseur level stick from the current batches available at the big Japanese incense houses is a daunting task. Even the older batches, you’ll get some good stuff and some not so.

For the most part, I find sticks to be like Mukhallats and Oud Oils. The blended ones can be exquisite to poor, depending on the quality of the ingredients and the composition, and the sticks made from agarwood alone, can carry a complex and wonderful profile, as if it were a composition, but only to the extent of the quality of the agarwood used, and how the stick was formed also.

What are considered to be the top most end sticks from the major Japanese houses?

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer

Yes I have to agree. I definitely feel that they arent that great in blending or as you say the mukhallat genre.

My expectation is based a bit on the older stuff when it comes to their single origin oudhs as well. I find that i can smell way too much binder and combustion material in them.

Last edited:
Yes I have to agree. I definitely feel that they arent that great in blending or as you say the mukhallat genre.

My expectation is based a bit on the older stuff when it comes to their single origin oudhs as well. I find that i can smell way too much binder and combustion material in them.

I reach for some select Japanese sticks, when I crave their aromatic blends/recipes. Sometimes those standard ingredients like clove, anise, and tree resins really “hit the spot”.

But for agarwood sticks, I go artisan and homemade.

Btw, my ASO Five Rivers sticks have purposefully been excluded from my daily rotation. I had a gut feeling that the processing of this stick made me require to age it a bit for optimal enjoyment, and boy oh boy, I just lit it today, and it’s spanking good:)

Last edited: