OudGood

True Ouddict
Dr Incense Processed Sinking Jayapura

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Some days I find this incense very ordinary and somedays outstanding. Since sinking grade wood was used the stick doesnt burn unless you heat it up first with flame. Last time I burnt it I found it exquisite.

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
oh weird - do you have the most recent version or earlier? I don't have any issue keeping them lit.

I like just opening the jar and smelling the sticks unheated - all of these give off excellent region specific aromas at room temp that are really helpful as I learn.

Homemade Indonesian stick

I used the last bit of it, and can’t wait to make another batch....improved version.

Something about the Nippon Kodo Indonesian Kizami that is addicting. Funny......because the first time I tried this wood, I wasn’t impressed, that reminds me of IO Walla Patta sticks, they didn’t impress me at the start, but now they’re solid good:thumbsup:

Update:

Just finished making more Indonesian sticks.

A finer grind, seived, with a pinch of makko and tragacanth gum, but still incurred extrusion problems.

Made another batch with a pinch of makko and some guar gum.....bingo!!
Very smooth extrusion!!

So I did a side by side comparison....
took some tragacanth and some guar gum, added water, then put the goo in between my fingers so I can feel how slimy, and how sticky they get. They were both equally sticky, but the guar guam was very much more slimy/slippery.

Then I smelled the goo....
guar gum had a very mild neutral smell,
while the tragacanth gum smelled a little like smoked salmon:confused:
So I threw the tragacanth into the garbage.

Now I just have to find the ideal proportionn of guar gum.

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Update:

Just finished making more Indonesian sticks.

A finer grind, seived, with a pinch of makko and tragacanth gum, but still incurred extrusion problems.

Made another batch with a pinch of makko and some guar gum.....bingo!!
Very smooth extrusion!!

So I did a side by side comparison....
took some tragacanth and some guar gum, added water, then put the goo in between my fingers so I can feel how slimy, and how sticky they get. They were both equally sticky, but the guar guam was very much more slimy/slippery.

Then I smelled the goo....
guar gum had a very mild neutral smell,
while the tragacanth gum smelled a little like smoked salmon:confused:
So I threw the tragacanth into the garbage.

Now I just have to find the ideal proportionn of guar gum.

Can you share?! Whenever I extrude. The second I press on the plunger, all the water in the mixture just gets pressed out and I'm left with a super dried out cylinder of expensive ground up mush!

Proportions - even ballpark would be awesome!

What's what guar gum do?

Also - what is your strategy to keep them straight while drying?

Can you share?! Whenever I extrude. The second I press on the plunger, all the water in the mixture just gets pressed out and I'm left with a super dried out cylinder of expensive ground up mush!

Proportions - even ballpark would be awesome!

What's what guar gum do?

Also - what is your strategy to keep them straight while drying?
Exactly! Same here, only the liquid squishes out, leaving the mush stuck inside. At first I thought that I needed to grind the wood finer...which I did...but same thing again, then I let the dough sit for a while, thinking that the wood needed time to soak up the moisture, but that didn’t help. Tragacanth gum is not slippery enough, but guar gum is the best. Of course, you could just increase the makko instead of adding gum, but then it will be mostly a makko stick:(
I think I used 5% guar gum this time, and that may have been too much, the sticks were plump and are now drying to a skinny. I haven’t experimented with methods to keep them straight while drying either.

I saw a YouTube video from Shoyeido, how they place the sticks beside each other on flat board, then as they dry, they move them closer some more.

Update:
I think I used too much guar gum.
I also think that I should weigh my ingredients next time, so when I find the right combination, I can replicate it more precisely :Geek:

Update on update:
The sticks with too much guar gum became really hard, so I ground them up and added a lot more agarwood with a tiny bit of makko. Next time, very minimal guar gum.

Last edited:
Gyokushodo Kumo No Sho

I get the agarwood and operculum upfront,
then I’m treated to a birthday cake (vanilla cake with sweet creamy icing plus some fruity confetti on top)

Reactions: Dan

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
TMC Holy land grade 2. I haven't burned it at least 3 months.
Oh boy, this stuff is so pungent! it's so unique and mysterious.
so musky, floral, and animalic. what a mind-boggling incense!

Reactions: Dan