Incense and Bakhoor

Discussion in 'Incense Sticks and Bakhoor' started by Ouddict, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

almost all my Japanese incense is gone, have some random low-grade Indian stuff left and Tibet ones like the Holy Land 1 & 2 and this random assortment pack of Tibet incenses that I got from incense-traditions in Canada (website)
    I've not burned any of these really, hmm! This will be my next incense to use for the next few months

funnily, my neighbour's cat walked into my house earlier (I had the kitchen door open) and we're cool with each other, and he came in and went sniffing around and eventually came across the Tibet incenses in the corner where he stayed for a good 2-3 minutes smelling them :Roflmao::Roflmao:

20190712_202858.jpg

2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

TMC Holy Land (Deer Musk version)
    I don’t pick up the sandalwood/agarwood content, if any, but it is a very pleasing stick, a little rough and rustic, but that doesn’t detract from it.

Woodland Note, Dan and Mr.P like this.
  3. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Do you have a source for that type of holy land incense?

4. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

I am burning this now too!
    Not sure if it's the musk version, but that's what the cat was sniffing above - and seemed quite taken by it! Mine seems quite rough as described by @Oudamberlove - a little animalic and a bit "out there" for an incense

@Mr.P I got mine from here - https://incense-traditions.ca/shop/tibet/holy-land-grade-2/

Woodland Note, Dan and Oudamberlove like this.
  5. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

After Deer Musk was banned, the newer versions don’t contain any. Not available anymore, but I believe you have a small piece.

Dan and Sproaty like this.
  6. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

My Shoyeido Silk Box collection.
    From left to right...
    Sho-kaku, Myo-ho, Go-un, Ga-ho, and Nan-kun

3B757EBB-1800-4FB3-9CB9-4CD3393A7F1D.jpeg

7. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

IO Walla Patta sticks
    Just as Walla Patta oils can be pretty, likewise, these sticks give-off sweet perfume.

Woodland Note, Martin and amanitamusc like this.
  8. joev

joev True Ouddict

Stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

9. joev

joev True Ouddict

If I’m not mistaken if you acquired musk tincture before it became illegal it was still ok to use until your supply was gone.

10. joev

joev True Ouddict

Cat has good taste in incense and watches.

Woodland Note and Sproaty like this.
  11. joev

joev True Ouddict

Anyone have thoughts on Fun-in Agarwood Raygun?

12. joev

joev True Ouddict

Gimmme!

13. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

I believe the situation with musk is more nuanced but this is another gray area where online lore doesn’t seem to match what many have experienced here. What I keep hearing is that there is in fact a certain quantity of musk that is legally harvested in Siberia and which can be purchased without consequence. I wonder to what degree this is true. I also wonder if this was discussed here earlier at a time when I wasn’t really following the conversations.

Does anyone have any solid information about importing Siberian or other musks into the United States? Other countries? Apologies if this is already covered somewhere in the forum.

If someone purchases legally harvested Siberian musk online and has it shipped, is this a kind of black market type situation ?

14. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Fu-in is a registered trademark of Minorien.

Their Kyara Rugen is the second from the top of their line of incense sticks, just below the Kyara Chokoh no.5, but is no less impressive (and that is not an overstatement).

joev likes this.
  15. joev

joev True Ouddict

I have both. But the rugen gives off waves of burning rubber. I have many other agarwood, including Translucent Path by Shoyeido, which is much more expensive. I get that. But rubber?

Oudamberlove likes this.
  16. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

When you light a stick........something’s burning:Roflmao:

But seriously, the Fu-in series uses no dyes and no chemicals. I just lit the Fu-in Aloeswood, Kyara Rugen, and Chokoh no5. This is a case of interpretation. I do smell your interpretation of burnt rubber. It’s in all three sticks, but more so in the Rugen. I always interpreted it as cedar over fire, but as with oud oil, how we perceive and interpret notes will be different for certain individuals, and/or different for an individual during different occasions. Bottom line, yes, I do get your interpretation.

Here is an interesting study:

Just last week, I had a nice very resinated piece of Habzoud sinking Filipino. I chiseled it in half to see how deep the resination was, and sure enough, it ran deep. So I decided to keep that piece in my incense box, so that when I light my incense, I will also burn some of that wood with my lighter. I’ve been doing that all week, scorching the tip of that Filipino wood. Lovely smell indeed, but I also get burnt plastic:eek::eek:. I wondered..”how can this be?”, “it’s practically all resin”. So I took that same piece of wood, sliced a few slivers, then gently heated it on my heater. Well, no burnt plastic. So I came to the conclusion, that resin at combustion heat levels, smells like burnt plastic. A lot of Japanese sticks have added aromatics and borneol to help mask the burning resin note, not to mention a certain mix of binder to keep the temp low. The Fu-in formula of Minorien certainly uses a mix with a certain wood that I do not find often in other sticks, I am guessing Cedar, but not sure. I bet that the resin in the woods of their formula, is responsible for the burnt rubber note.

Funny though, I never thought of it as burnt rubber until you mentioned it today.

Just like the bugsy note of Sultan Afnan, I never interpreted it as bugsy, but a couple other ouddicts have. I can see their interpretation, but I still stick with my original experience, as should you with that Rugen stick.....nothing wrong with that:praying:

OudGood, Woodland Note, Dan and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Fu in minoren, to me, reeks (in the best sense!) of vetiver. I recreated (somewhat) the essence of this scent by dabbing Haitian vetiver on an old straight up aloeswood incense stick from China.

Woodland Note, Dan and Oudamberlove like this.
  18. joev

joev True Ouddict

Thanks for the response. I will light another stick before smelling it and keep the idea of other blends in mind as I inhale the smoke. The openness may lead me to another odorants besides rubber!

Joe

Dan and Oudamberlove like this.
  19. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Another study session with Yamadamatsu Shu-ju series.
    Manaka, Manaban, Sasora, Rakoku, Sumotara.

The regional profiles are there, but very subtle.
    I think the intention of this series is more for the tastes: soft, salty, hot, sweet, sour.

Woodland Note and Dan like this.
  20. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Started with Shoyeido Myo-ho for a kyara cloud effect, then I followed with Shunkohdo Kyara Seikan....Man! with this stick I feel like I’m snuggling up to a campfire made with agarwood logs, so comforting and attractive. I’d even roll out a sleeping bag and nap beside the burning agarwood logs. Such a fantasy, because the resin in an agarwood log might smell like burnt plastic....therein lies the beauty of sticks.

Promote Oud!