1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

How Would You Describe Malino Wood Scent When Burnt?electric Vs Charcoal Burn?

Discussion in 'Oud Wood' started by alex1971, Jun 24, 2020.

1. alex1971

alex1971 Whats this Oud About?

How would people describe the smell of Malino agarwood when burnt?
    I use both subitisme electric burner and charcoal
    Why the smell different if use electric vs not electric?
    I burn with electric start at 15 volts then after 15 minutes start a smell like sweet,chocolate,vanilla,then make higher to 20 volts
    When burn on charcoal there is not this chocolate sweet smell
    Why?how is best way to burn oud?
    Most oud I burn is from borneo from malinau and tarakan and class super
    When burn double super very different the smell also
    Best wishes to all
    Alex

Oudamberlove and Andrew Salkin like this.
  2. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Just curious - where are you sourcing this wood. I'm no expert but I've heard so many times that malinau and tarakan are two regions that are extremely difficult to find the real deal. I think lots of times - especially with lower grades, it's shipped in or otherwise distorted in some way - actually from another region and sold as malinau, Borneo, tarakan. As jk mentioned in his post yesterday - most of what is sold as tarakan actually is from elsewhere in Indonesia.

Do you have any photos of the wood? My first instinct is to say it doesn't smell the way you want because it's not actually wood from those regions. But I can't be positive of that, it's just the most likely culprit.

It also depends on what subitism you have, the legnth of the coil, and your power source. 15v for you might be radically different that 15v from me. Just depends on your heater. My power supply is 9-24v at 3a. I'm using the subitism that lots of folks have that JK has for sale in his store. For me, 15v is actually on the high end of the spectrum where wood will bubble ALOT - this might be too high and potentially skipping parts of the scent progression that you might otherwise get from a slower and lower temp.

I'd say this - if you aren't getting the wood from a trusted vendor here, it's less likely it's from the region being claimed (with a few exceptions of course for folks like ensar, taha, azman, Dr I, etc). If you really want the malinau and tarakan profiles, my suggestion is to reach out to JK and ask for a kodo sampler pack with the regions you are looking to explore. Then you'll have a "control group" or reference for what that region is supposed to smell like moving forward so when you buy lower grades - you'll be armed with the knowledge you need to make informed buying decisions. Be prepared to spend 30-100/g for high grade wood from these regions.

Hope this helps!

Kabir Attars and Oudamberlove like this.
  3. alex1971

Thanks Andrew
    I usually get from there,from malinau,Malinau is a kabupaten(like a region)from north kalimantan and village of malinau is the capital of this region,and Tarakan is an island to the east and also north kalimantan,not far from sabah
    Well the one I use is grade super,then there are the better grades double super,king,super king(these last ones sinking grade)
    The super is the low grade,but also the lower grade is the dust from cropping the logs that is used to make oils
    Double super I prefer to make accesories,so expensive to burn It.
    I am not expert in oud also but used allways to see It how is processed in indonesia;my father in law used oud since the 50's in west sumatra same as my wife's grandfather but sumatra I allways heard not so good as kalimantan but I can't tell the difference from sumatraVSkalimantan
    One of best in sumatra allways heard was from mentawai islands,no more nowadays,It's gone
    In west sumatra still people take in the wild in pesisir but also there is a lot from plantation and inoculated with the fungus
    Like that I put a picture is from kalimantan
    Best wishes
    Alex

Attached Files:

Rai Munir and Oudamberlove like this.
  4. alex1971

I use this subitism burner that I post in the attached photo
    I start at 15 volts then in a minute starts the smell very sweet then after few minutes smell start fade away then make voltage higher to 18 then start smell like chocolate and vanilla
    I am not good at describe the smell
    Best wishes to all
    Alex

Attached Files:

Oudamberlove likes this.
  5. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi True Ouddict

Malinau and Tarakan are indeed both extremely hard to come by. almost virtually no real deal pieces coming out. Only old stock changing hands. While tarakan is known for its distinct “green” and minty profile, malinau is all “yellow and orange”. Orange cream soda. But also don’t forget the most intense and obvious cinnamon heart candy. Valentine candy. Is basically like a cinnamon note but sweeter, candied and intense. Only other region matching this cinnamon intensity is parts of Walla.

I find borneo species wood do better, much better on lower heat. I find this species to somehow carry more oil along resin than let’s say crassna or any of the gyrinops family. Softer wood too. For that reason I find malinau wood sings better on lower heat. The oil burns acrid on high heat...

Malinau is singular and fantastic when is the real thing. For what I worth I have 5 batches, all sourced from well respected vendors. All participate in this forum but two. the rest are either a shadow of the real deal or almost unrecognizable beyond a generic (still nice) borneo.
    The best to date was sourced via kyarazen. Sure hope for sake of newer to oud fans be comes back with another monkoh set. You guys should all ask him and plead. His sets are as valuable if not more than rikkoku gomi sets.

pls notes I am talking monkoh grade wood when talking about “proper” malinau or tarakan or any region. Usually that means (not always) Well above incense grade. Let’s say tripple super to sink category.

6. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi True Ouddict

That wood Stash in your Picture above, while it can smell very nice, it needs to be cleaned better. Too much none resinated parts. On charcoal you are burning the wood which masks the streak of resin and oil in there, so you won’t get that oudy sweet nectar

7. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Hi, respected Rasoul. Nice to read you. May I be blessed with it at least once a week:praying:, at least.

Well, would you suggest getting only resin is to preferred to getting wood?

Kabir Attars and Oudamberlove like this.
  8. alex1971

Salam Rasoul Salehi
    Yes when burnt on subitism burner have a very nice woody,sweet,mint smell at around 16 volts then I give to 20 volts after smell starts to go away and comes again.
    Then on charcoal It mixes with the smell of the wood the resin and is different but still nice,but nicer on electric;yes if cleaned up more the wood would be nicer;It's a lot of hours to clean wood with carving knifes,so they sell like this and is known as grade super,the next grade is double super
    Sinking grade I never got to burn,I only a few grams and dont want to burn it as for the price I paid for sinking is 3 times the price of double super
    I have been only 3 or 4 years into oud hobby and still not know much
    but love it,I am crazy about oud
    Wassalam
    Alex

Andrew Salkin likes this.
  9. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Might I recommend you reach out to @Habz786 - one of our friendly resident vendors. He has Sri Lankan sinking grade Walla patta wood for a very reasonable price. Here:

https://habzoud.com/product/sinking-sri-lankan-wood/

Starting at 12 per gram - not sure where else you can find this quality for this price. It also smells lovely and bubbles on electric or charcoal. Really nice example of Sri Lankan profile and very clean aroma. May I ask, what are you paying for the super wood and where buying from? Online - do you have a link or are you purchasing locally?

alex1971 likes this.
  10. alex1971

Salam
    I purchase locally to oud hunters in villages when I go to indonesia to visit my wife family in sumatra and java and kalimantan once every two years
    Best wishes
    Alex

Promote Oud!