RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
I was just responding to this question and thought I should share here, as well :) Figired I’d elaborate a little...

Well, there's several ways of making use of them...

I have folks that use them in atomizers.

I’ve been known to apply a swipe to a cotton ball and add it to a clothing drawer or suitcase when I’m traveling (nothing beats pre-aromatized cloths when on the road!)

Sometimes I like to apply a drop to the inner lapel of my shirt where the fabric is thick and stains won’t show (usually behind a button hole or the inside of a shirt on the exposed threads)

But when it comes to wearing - many folks aren’t sure what’s the best way to apply...

Arabs generally swipe on the back of a hand, then gently rub the backs of both hands together, then apply to beard, behind the ears, and sometimes to hair. This produces a nice “aroma bubble”

Most of us in the West simply swipe a hand or wrists, or add a drop to the back of a hand.

Personally, I generally apply a drop from the tip of the applicator to the meat between my index finger and thumb on the back of my hand, and then use a finger to gently spread it a little. I generally only apply to my left hand.

Why only the left hand??

In our culture, we shake with the right hand. When shaking a persons hand, this will put your hand essentially right under their nose. By placing on the left hand you are less likely to be thrusting your beloved When shaking a persons hand, this will put your hand essentially right under their nose. By placing on the left hand you are less likely to be thrusting your beloved Oud molecules right up another person’s smell holes. It’s more polite :)

Attars and Ouds can get kinda pricey...are they worth it??

Attars and Ouds are very economical to use, especially in the manner in which I suggest folks to use them. It’s not unusual to get 300 - 550 applications the way I teach it.

The Arab method generally gets 75 - 150 applications (uses a lot more oil). Sometimes less depending on the individual’s swipe.

Considering a 100mL EdP generally gets somewhere between 5 - 14 pumps per mL (meaning 500-1400 pumps per bottle), and most folks apply 3 - 7 pumps at a time (roughly 70 - 460 applications) - Attars generally get way more bang for your buck.

As an example, consider a $500 bottle (yikes!) as I suggest applying it.

At 300-550 applications, each application would cost somewhere between $0.90 and $1.67

Ouds and Attars - even crazy expensive ones - as we can see can be quite economical and last us longer and allow more wears than even a 100mL bottle of a spray fragrance. Not too shabby!

Last edited:

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
One disagreement i might have is the edp.

I feel its 10 - 15 sprays an ML.

So 10 ml requires 100 sprays on average?

Our pal @Sproaty might be the expert here.

It really can vary, I decant a lot of my sprays and doing 5ml samples can take (what feels like) 70 or so sprays. It really varies on the bottle, Dior sprayers put out a lot more juice per pump, generally