Yawar ibn Saeed Al-Hindi

Resident Artisan
Gona give you special trick : a mini drop right under the nostrils on your mustache hair for discret application and long self enjoyment.

Lol I do this so often. It's like telling my oud oil you are all for me and I m all for you! Not even one of your molecule shall be shared with anyone except with me:p:D

Feroz Alloo

Resident Artisan
Hi/as salaam alaikum

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to make oud last longer on skin? Also how to apply it for better sillage and projection

Apologies in advance to the admins if this is in the wrong section

Thanks

Maybe your question has been answered by others and I might be late in my contribution. One observation I have since I'm following this forum is that most enthusiast talk about applying 100% oil on the body, now don't get me wrong because for certain ailments I personally use 100% blend of essential oils e.g. insomnia relief or pain relief but when it comes to be used as perfume the experts recommend dilution in a carrier oil. Dilution apparently extends the longevity of the aroma when applied on your body, at least that's what most authors/experts of aromatherapy and perfumery say. Try either with jojoba or refined sweet almond, don't use virgin almond because it has aroma of almond and may skew the notes of agarwood unless you like it that way.

The good thing about blend is that you are extending use of precious agarwood you have purchased, for e.g. if you bought 2 ml of agarwood and you added 8 ml of almond or jojoba carrier oil, you now have 10 ml of agarwood blend that most likely will last much longer than 2 ml of agarwood. It's win-win because you are now able to get lot more bang for your buck and the carrier oil is supposed to extend the aroma as opposed to using undiluted.

Not everyone might agree to this theory but I suggest one should try and you may reveal another way your oud to last much longer. We all know oud is extremely strong in aroma, any dilution between 5% and 25% will save you significant money and will stretch your dollar or euro.

My two cents ... :)

jalil

Oud bully
o_O

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
Maybe your question has been answered by others and I might be late in my contribution. One observation I have since I'm following this forum is that most enthusiast talk about applying 100% oil on the body, now don't get me wrong because for certain ailments I personally use 100% blend of essential oils e.g. insomnia relief or pain relief but when it comes to be used as perfume the experts recommend dilution in a carrier oil. Dilution apparently extends the longevity of the aroma when applied on your body, at least that's what most authors/experts of aromatherapy and perfumery say. Try either with jojoba or refined sweet almond, don't use virgin almond because it has aroma of almond and may skew the notes of agarwood unless you like it that way.

The good thing about blend is that you are extending use of precious agarwood you have purchased, for e.g. if you bought 2 ml of agarwood and you added 8 ml of almond or jojoba carrier oil, you now have 10 ml of agarwood blend that most likely will last much longer than 2 ml of agarwood. It's win-win because you are now able to get lot more bang for your buck and the carrier oil is supposed to extend the aroma as opposed to using undiluted.

Not everyone might agree to this theory but I suggest one should try and you may reveal another way your oud to last much longer. We all know oud is extremely strong in aroma, any dilution between 5% and 25% will save you significant money and will stretch your dollar or euro.

I think this may be possible or contemplated if you are using cheap thai/ hindi plantation oil produced by a large factory. However most people on this forum would not sacrifice performance, projection, and progreesion of an oil by diluting it, i think most would consider it sacrilege! Artisan oils are produced very delicately and yes some can be "strong" however most have average silage with many subtle notes to be uncovered by the wearer. The twists and turns an oil takes are the most enjoyable and desired facets of Oud(h).

Back to the question, moisturising the area (wrists, neck etc) with a non aromatic oil/ cream and then applying oud seem to stretch the oil best. Or failing that applying on clothing works very well.

Feroz Alloo

Resident Artisan
I think this may be possible or contemplated if you are using cheap thai/ hindi plantation oil produced by a large factory. However most people on this forum would not sacrifice performance, projection, and progreesion of an oil by diluting it, i think most would consider it sacrilege! Artisan oils are produced very delicately and yes some can be "strong" however most have average silage with many subtle notes to be uncovered by the wearer. The twists and turns an oil takes are the most enjoyable and desired facets of Oud(h).

Back to the question, moisturising the area (wrists, neck etc) with a non aromatic oil/ cream and then applying oud seem to stretch the oil best. Or failing that applying on clothing works very well.

By diluting you are not sacrificing performance though it may seem that way, in fact carrier oils are supposed to enhance the performance of essential oil and you'll find many experts agreeing on this. Even IFRA suggests dilution for essential oils, the ultimate body of fragrance regulation.

However it comes down to an individual and their personal preference on usability.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
By diluting you are not sacrificing performance though it may seem that way, in fact carrier oils are supposed to enhance the performance of essential oil and you'll find many experts agreeing on this. Even IFRA suggests dilution for essential oils, the ultimate body of fragrance regulation.

However it comes down to an individual and their personal preference on usability.

I red this once in specialized perfume blog !

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support

I ‘liked’ your post as it seemed well thought out and detailed and then I saw Jalil’s face and read it again.

I get what you are saying about dilution and indeed there is a long discussion on the (now unavailable) Basenotes Oud thread regarding this. Some people seemed to feel that dilution also drew out notes that were otherwise drowned in the sheer complexity of the Oud scent profile. So there may be some merit in this.

However this forum is full of Oud purists (myself included) who wouldn’t dream of diluting their Oud oils. Hence Jalil’s reaction. I think some of this is due to the revulsion at widespread adulteration of Oud within the industry.

Personally I don’t think there is anything wrong with some experimentation and I’m not dogmatic in the sense that I would summarily dismiss your experience. At least you’re honest and open about it.

Feroz Alloo

Resident Artisan
So for example if I put 2ml of oud oil in 8ml of jojoba oil the smell and intensity etc would be the same but with better longevity?

That's correct, the blend does not change the aroma or its chemistry especially if it's blended with a correct carrier oil, they ought to be bland though such as in the examples above. It's a common practice in aromatherapy and perfume industry ... Oud oil in my opinion has the strongest aroma of all oils we sell, rose damascena being second when it comes to longevity of aroma.

For those who are hesitant and nay sayers, the best thing to do is start with higher blend percentage, say 50 and keep reducing until you get the desired blend. The industry recommendation (IFRA) is 3% for dilution but you don't need to follow it precisely. Most high end perfumers who buy our expensive oils they use extremely low dilution rate but they are in business so its given.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
For me is about laying the oil thick and not thin. Also making sure a bit ends up on the cuff part of my sleeve. Wool and cotton I find hold the scent of oud for weeks. Literally. My shirts get washed after 1 use but my jacket still has scent from weeks ago

Adweeya Mufriha

Oud Mystic
Thanks for a great thread!!!!!

So, far I have been using the inner and outer arms or wrists (making careful not to "rub in": so a thick swipe, or a drop, that remains visible), clothes and mustache but had not thought of the lower beard (I have a long one, which goes far awys form the nose), nor of using a neutral oil like on the skin beforehand.

I will make sure to try both, as they seem great ideas (though I am already loaded for the time being)

For the mustache right below the nostrils, while I love the initial feel, I feel it does actually weaken the whole experience: like my nose is being used to it and tunes out accordingly.

Last edited:

Azaad

Oud Fanatic
Your nose becomes trained to the smell after a few applications. What’s obvious to others becomes oblivious to you.

I have Jo Malone diffusers in my house and after a week or two I can’t smell a thing. But anyone else who comes into my house compliments the fragrance.

I have a few kilians, and same again. I can’t smell it at all after 20 mins, but a guy on the other side of my work area starts shouting who’s carrying that smell... it stinks. I just pretend I don’t know and save myself the embarrassment at that point lol.

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Swipe more :D
Sure, you can put a "dot" on and spread that lightly around, but where's the fun in that? For work I usually tip the bottle upside down so that the whole applicator gets covered and then wipe it dry across my arms. Use up all the oil on one arm and then do the same on the other :D
Extreme? maybe! I'm usually walking out of my house looking like a tiger with various brown splotches covering my arms :Roflmao::Roflmao:

tyson

Oud Alchemist
Distillers/vendors, not asking for proprietary secrets but is there anything in distillation that accounts for longevity or projection?
Oils distilled on high heat or distilled for a very long time would have more of the heavier molicules , this would give more longevity , if i take the first fraction of hojary oil on low heat the smell is gone withit a hour , while the later fractions will keep on my arm much much longer .