• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Help Me Recognizethis Wood Please

Antani2

Oud Beginner
Hi friends,
month ago I bought this wood in Qatar and the seller told me it is oud from Bangladesh

PfyiRkz.jpg

This oud was quite cheap and the smell is good, but not super.

Recently I bought this instead

edFfw09.jpg

The smell is super and the price slightly higher but I forgot to ask the seller where this come from.
Watching other pictures online it seems be from Vietnam, but I am not sure...
Can you help me?

Joe King

AttitOud
Hi friends,
month ago I bought this wood in Qatar and the seller told me it is oud from Bangladesh

PfyiRkz.jpg

edFfw09.jpg

The smell is super and the price slightly higher but I forgot to ask the seller where this come from.
Can you help me?
Very difficult to give exact location from pictures of wood alone, better chance from smell of the wood.
The top picture I would say is farmed wood, you can see nail holes.

tpemnl

Oud Beginner
I have an agarwood that has been kept for almost 10 years. When i burned a piece of it, the room smelled like wood. Almost like the smell you get from a carpenter workshop. It smelled like sawdust. And it times it had a cottonball smell to it like a bit of cinamon in the smoke. The room would smell like wood for up to a week. I wonder if anyone have any comments about this..Although it does not have any bubbling from the resin, the scent coming from the wood is very much alive.

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_232326.jpg
    IMG_20191221_232326.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20191221_232311.jpg
    IMG_20191221_232311.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 246

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I have an agarwood that has been kept for almost 10 years. When i burned a piece of it, the room smelled like wood. Almost like the smell you get from a carpenter workshop. It smelled like sawdust. And it times it had a cottonball smell to it like a bit of cinamon in the smoke. The room would smell like wood for up to a week. I wonder if anyone have any comments about this..Although it does not have any bubbling from the resin, the scent coming from the wood is very much alive.

It doesnt look like agarwood

If the room had a lingering smell of wood, then it is not likely to be agarwood. Agarwood should leave a resinous smell in the air. Or......a very low grade of agarwood.....or a scented wood.
Do you care to share with us where you got the pieces?

Godoud

Oud Fan
Hi friends,

this is good grade cultivated wood. all the holes obvious human inteverne, this type of wood, theres alot of wood fibre if you dig down using sharp edges.
the only resinated part is the skin layer

PfyiRkz.jpg

edFfw09.jpg

Can you help me?

Godoud

Oud Fan
your pictures were taken with flash and the wood texture seems flashed. it's not easy to tell though but if your wood is dense, it should be soil specimen, maroake or filaria

Godoud

Oud Fan
Hi friends,

PfyiRkz.jpg

edFfw09.jpg

Can you help me?
cultivated wood

Godoud

Oud Fan
remember, Agarwood tree dont grow in middle east, middle east wood alot is modified to suit their attar inclined taste, dark, oily, etC
when it comes to india or bangala, it is the same grade, good cultivated grade

Oudhly

Just Arrived
Good day guys.. I've got this Agarwood from Kalimantan.. it's from the asli/local people there. Unique scent.. smells herbally from start not like sweet Vietnam ones.. gives a long lingering smell through out the house.. definitely not like the fake ones.. we all have been there I guess..
anyone tried this wood before. Only information I have is that it's Malinau SS Agarwood.. the resins are through out the whole wood..

Attachments

• IMG20210808140358.jpg
    IMG20210808140358.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG20210808135702.jpg
    IMG20210808135702.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 86

Oudhly

Just Arrived
No it's not glue.. I thought it was initially.. it's resin? It's through out the wood.. Smells nice herbally clean and super oily.. I burn it for 2 days about 2 hours.. of course on higher heat the next day.im guessing it's the same.. just wondering.. well it's quite hot selling.. had many reorders..

Attachments

• IMG-20210811-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210811-WA0003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2021-08-10-07-23-18-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-10-07-23-18-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 46

Hakim

Oud Fanatic
No it's not glue.. I thought it was initially.. it's resin? It's through out the wood.. Smells nice herbally clean and super oily.. I burn it for 2 days about 2 hours.. of course on higher heat the next day.im guessing it's the same.. just wondering.. well it's quite hot selling.. had many reorders..
Bring the pieces over and let me take a look at it bro 🙏

AbuTominaga

Oud Gangster
indeed.
Some Kalimantan woods have a frankincense-like resin in them. I had a similar experience with woods from the mid-west kalimantan area.