Zax85

Oud Beginner
Has anyone tried/or bought oud from Hikayat Fragrances? (previously known as OudHub)

They are based in Malaysia and have connections with Taha (Agar Aura); he was the perfumer for a couple of their attars.

I'm actually interested in their oud oil Karas Utama.

Thanks

Last edited:

pcmm

Oud Beginner
Hi Zax85,

I've tried Hikayat. The quality is great, especially, considering the price. The ingredients used are beautifully showcased. I didn't expect any less from Taha. You can tell that this is his work. Perhaps it's not on part with the likes of Kinam Attar, but it's a very nice woody scent. Karas Utama did spark my interest, too. I hope this helps.

Zax85

Oud Beginner
Hi Zax85,

I've tried Hikayat. The quality is great, especially, considering the price. The ingredients used are beautifully showcased. I didn't expect any less from Taha. You can tell that this is his work. Perhaps it's not on part with the likes of Kinam Attar, but it's a very nice woody scent. Karas Utama did spark my interest, too. I hope this helps.

Thanks pcmm. Yeah I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on Karas Utama.

Have you tried Gunung Ledang? that's another one that has my interest.

pcmm

Oud Beginner
Hi Zax85,

Alas, I haven't. I think I'm going to order Perintis (I got a sample from a friend who blind-bought it). I like Taha's work and this one is definitely a great one, especially for the price! I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Karas Utama, especially, in terms of how it compares to the likes of Ensar.

Last edited:

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
I’ve tried Perentis and unfortunately it wasn’t for me. If you’d like to know more shoot me a dm and I’ll give details.

Zax85

Oud Beginner
I’ve tried Perentis and unfortunately it wasn’t for me. If you’d like to know more shoot me a dm and I’ll give details.
Perintis didn't catch my eye. I've just ordered Karas Utama and Gunung Ledang with the current 10% off, so will post my thoughts once I have them.

pcmm

Oud Beginner
Looking forward to your thought on Karas Utama and Gunung Ledang. Perintis is nice, but I would stick with Taha's Agar Aura creations if the budget allows for it.

Zax85

Oud Beginner
Hello,
Did you receive the oils?

Karas Utama definitely comes across as a wild Malaysian oud, very green with subtle hints of cola sweetness. An aura of oud chips on low heat can be imagined. This won’t blow your mind but it's decent considering the price point. For my personal preference I would enjoy it more if it was much less green.

Gunung Ledang which is a natural perfume and not an oil, comes across very natural, fruity/citrusy and sour. I get a lot of cherry from it. Spices can be picked up. I am reminded of the Agar Parisien opening because of the citrus blast or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me because I know this was formulated by Taha 😁

Christopher Houston

Oud Beginner
I swiped it a few hours ago. It's better than I thought it could be to be honest. It's green, bit of diesel, spiced fruits are mild not loud. The air around me smells pretty strong. I do not have much experience with malaysian, but it's mossy and green after maybe 30 minutes. Still has the turpyness that I appreciate. I had my friend smell it who has never experienced oud, and he said he smelled cinnamon and wood. Not a great review I know, but my experience today. It's very pleasing and I'm happy with it. I get the cola a bit mentioned above as I read it again.

Attachments

• received_2805981129717182.jpeg
    received_2805981129717182.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 153

pcmm

Oud Beginner
Karas Utama definitely comes across as a wild Malaysian oud, very green with subtle hints of cola sweetness. An aura of oud chips on low heat can be imagined. This won’t blow your mind but it's decent considering the price point. For my personal preference I would enjoy it more if it was much less green.

Gunung Ledang which is a natural perfume and not an oil, comes across very natural, fruity/citrusy and sour. I get a lot of cherry from it. Spices can be picked up. I am reminded of the Agar Parisien opening because of the citrus blast or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me because I know this was formulated by Taha 😁
I've managed to try Karas Utama. I think it's my favorite from the bunch. I did a side-by-side test with EO TR. It does come across as a wild Malaysian oud. It's beautiful and the projection is quite good.

Gunung Ledang was more intriguing than Perintis (to my nose at least). You can definitely sense Taha's blending skills. On my shirt it lasted for over 24h, but to me, the citrusy blast is very short-lived. It's more spicey-resinous.

I've also tried the sandalwood oil which is creamy in the opening and develops nicely into a slight sharpness/spiciness with a touch of woods.