1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE FORUM WILL UNDERGO A MIGRATION AND MAJOR CHANGE IN DECEMBER 2020 AND JANUARY 2020. PLEASE BEAR WITH US. WE WILL TRY TO KEEP THE DISRUPTION TO A MINIMUM. THE CHANGES SHOULD RESULT IN A MUCH IMPROVED AND RESPONSIVE SITE. SOME OF THE DATA ON THE FORUM THAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE LAYERED ON THE FORUM PLATFORM WILL BE LOST - FOR EXAMPLE TRADER FEEDBACK. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Growing Shiitake Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Other Things We're Into' started by Leander, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Leander

Leander True Ouddict

More Pleurotus . I really should have labeled my photos better. Oh well.

Attached Files:

DubOudh likes this.
  2. Leander

Leander True Ouddict

Some Lion's Mane

Attached Files:

DubOudh likes this.
  3. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Hmm...the reishi sawdust bag I was sent is overgrown with penicillium mold.

Was hoping to use spores from this to start my own cultures. Time to see if I can get a replacement I guess. Nice hericium!

Leander likes this.
  4. Leander

Leander True Ouddict

Oh man! That sucks. I HATE contams. I have some reishi wedges. No idea what kind. They are 5 years old, but I bet I could grow out a couple plates from them. Or I could send a few of them to you so you could grow them out. Growing from spores in my opinion is very time consuming. Lots of contams to get rid of. I don't order any spawn from anyone anymore. I got so many bad bags that I figured out how to do it myself. At least most of the time. Don't know if the mycelium would get to you without freezing at this time of year though.

DubOudh likes this.
  5. Mr.P

I have some sources of spawn, but thanks all the same.

The bag was a gift so it's just for fun I'm getting a replacement to see if the producer can get me one that'll work.if not I'll get some other supplies from them with the credit

6. DubOudh

DubOudh Aster Oudh

So what do you do with them after growing them...eat them?
    They look beautiful and all....but how long do they grow for? Are they similar to potted plants?
    I grow mold or I should say it has chosen a corner of the house to take up residence in....not eatable though!!!

Leander likes this.
  7. Leander

Leander True Ouddict

Yes. The kind I grow, you eat. Others grow medicinal mushrooms also. Some people try to get more than one harvest from them. Sometime like 3 harvest. The yield diminishes with each harvest. They trick is to not get contamination after that first harvest. Because I don't like worrying about the contams, I just harvest once. Maybe twice. Then I throw them outside, and if the weather is rainy and cool for a few days, I might get a few bonus mushrooms.

DubOudh likes this.
  8. DubOudh

DubOudh Aster Oudh

A very interesting hobby......I grow cacti over here in rain soaked Ireland...I like a challenge, do I...

Leander likes this.
  9. Leander

Leander True Ouddict

Couple of substrate bags in the pressure cooker. Two hours at 15psi. Will use shiitake 3782 for them. Also found 3 different strains of shiitake from 5 years ago that I never got around to growing out. West Wind, Miss Happiness, and Chocolov. Will be trying to make spawn from those wedges this week I hope.

DubOudh likes this.
  10. Mr.P

That's great. My teaching job and parenting are sucking me dry. Mushroom hobby must wait, for now.

Leander likes this.

Promote Oud!