GLTASN

For me I love the smell of puppy breath and my dogs paw fur. I like Hopps gun oil to use when I clean my gun as it has a very unique aroma. As a child I loved the smell of my grandpa's medicine called Paregoric(smells like anise). I just found a bottle on ebay and it brings me back to my childhood when I smell it. Cant believe I bought old meds laced with opium on ebay,lol.

jensz

Administrator
Staff member
The smell of skunks. I actually like it in brief and diffuse whiffs. I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it if I got sprayed. Where I live near Los Angeles, if you smell a skunk unfortunately that usually means that one has been hit by a car. ):

jensz

Administrator
Staff member

Whoa, thanks for the link JohnH! Very interesting indeed. I never would have come across this. I appreciate the vendor's claim that the glands come from skunks killed for other reasons -- ie, the skunk wasn't taken just for glands. Some day when I decide to do some blending of my own maybe I'll get it.

Phoenicia Perfumes has a fragrance called Far NWest that claims a skunk note . . . the only one I've come across. But the skunk element was very flat, I found it foul-smelling, whereas fresh skunk has so much depth. I don't know if it was real or synthetic skunkiness. The other issue may have been that the skunk was too prominent; skunk's appeal is limited to small and diffuse -- albeit fresh! -- doses.

Last edited:

5MeO

Speaking of skunk - I love the smell of high quality cannabis - so many different types - it's dried flowers, essentially, what's there not to love? Interestingly I don't generally like smoking or otherwise consuming cannabis - but when someone has some and are preparing to smoke it, I will frequently ask to smell their goods :p

Kc3dl

The scent of rain on earth... petrichor...

Here's what I wrote to Taha, three years ago, when I first smelled Oud Supreme...

I inhaled a little of the Malaysian oud and caught a clear whiff of
rain on dry ground. That scent is apparently called “petrichor”; I
didn’t even know it had a name until I looked it up. And that
“rawness”, yes, like grass crushed and rubbed together between my
palms.
The etymology of the word is really interesting -- blood of stone, or "the liquid which flows through the veins of gods".
Here's a good summary of petrichor.
http://theconversation.com/the-smell-of-rain-how-csiro-invented-a-new-word-39231

Gimme that New Car smell :)

Plus, even in my pre-teen years, I had a habit of crushing fresh leaves of every type of plant-life to see what they smelled like, even mosses.

rojas

Gimme that New Car smell :)

Plus, even in my pre-teen years, I had a habit of crushing fresh leaves of every type of plant-life to see what they smelled like, even mosses.
Oudamberlove , even i have the same habit of smelling fresh crushed leaves!!

Crushed fresh leaves of mango, eucalyptus , basil , guauva ,picking up the dried oozing resin from huge tree trunks ( love the ambery , sweet ,deep woody resinous smell )

When I was 20, I would hold the hand of this girl I was courting for 2 hours straight, then on my way home, and while at home, I kept sniffing my palm. There was a perfume-like aroma, and it wasn't cologne or perfume related. I guess aside from pheromones, we can emit a beautiful scent. (not just musk deers) Anyhow, I ❤️ that scent,

jalil

Oud bully
When Iam in Magreb and I visit an old medinah and there is an ancestral souk, it smell bakhoor with spice and fresh tanned goat leather. if its quite the norm for arab citizen, Its the sort of scent you cant find in France

Mr B

The smell of a forest after a midday drizzle. the earth, the dry leaves, the fresh stream, the rocks, the tree barks and pine leaves..... some tobacco, barn and leather from mammals who have passed through. Maybe a bonfire.

Smelling the sun come out of the clouds and transform the scent around me to honeyed gold resin, oozing from the tree barks.

The crescendo of the flowing water hitting rocks, insects hissing, birds chirping, the wind dancing through the pine leaves, the scent dancing in the breeze.

The wood workshop in the middle of the forest, saw powered by a water mill. the smell of freshly cut wood lying in the store and the aged wood, used to construct the shak.

Last edited:
Speaking of "unconventional scents", I received some civet paste from Apothecary's Garden on Etsy. I was ordering from them because they have Frankincense Frereana (Maydi, chewing Frankincense), and I thought I'd give their civet paste a try just for fun. WOW! On it's own, it's way too much, but when I layered it with some sandalwood and Cambodi oud, the scent was golden. As in, it really conjured up images of fine gold powder, dusting my arm, my nose, the whole room. I was in a cocoon of golden light!

Anyway, I know there is a lot of argument over the use of things like musk. I really appreciated reading Dan's (at Apothecary Garden) take on the subject of civet musk.

http://apothecarysgarden.com/2015/02/27/ethical-civet-a-view-from-the-foothills/

GLTASN

Speaking of "unconventional scents", I received some civet paste from Apothecary's Garden on Etsy. I was ordering from them because they have Frankincense Frereana (Maydi, chewing Frankincense), and I thought I'd give their civet paste a try just for fun. WOW! On it's own, it's way too much, but when I layered it with some sandalwood and Cambodi oud, the scent was golden. As in, it really conjured up images of fine gold powder, dusting my arm, my nose, the whole room. I was in a cocoon of golden light!

Anyway, I know there is a lot of argument over the use of things like musk. I really appreciated reading Dan's (at Apothecary Garden) take on the subject of civet musk.

http://apothecarysgarden.com/2015/02/27/ethical-civet-a-view-from-the-foothills/
I have the civet paste that is aged for 50+ years, its very likable and powerful at the same time. a little goes along way. Ive got 3 batches of sandalwood oil blends with a hint of civet I just started a few weeks ago. neat stuff! https://www.etsy.com/listing/254119...usk-perfume-paste-rare?ref=shop_home_active_8