Rahel

Resident Artisan
Hello,everyone! Hope your all well?

Just wanted to talk to you guys about plantation wood. I'm sure this topic is come up thousand times in on here,but recently I had a change of heart towards this particular subject.

I’m guessing everyone here is really into collectors items and really unique unicorn types of products? So this is probably a longshot, but just wondering what your experiences are of plantations wood?
Www.oudbase.com

Last edited:

Arsalan

True Ouddict
I’m ok with “plantation” long as natural inoculation can be assured rather than chemical, although of course there are no guarantees...
For “scenting” in background plantation is ok, but for the times when sitting close to the heater to closely experience & enjoy the wood, of course “wild” wood is certainly the preference....

EJayB

True Ouddict
I received my wood! Very nice scent at extremely low temp and for quite a long time.
If the heat is just a tiny bit to hot the whole piece catches fire and smokes. If I heat it up enough to bubble the resin , it catches fire!
Never had wood that caught fire so easily and you could definitely not heat this on a coal as it would just smoke.
At super low temp it’s very nice and scents the room with a nice sweetness

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
had a similar experience with mine. The scent is great, but it will catch fire if put on above 13.8 on my subitism. Haven't tried yet on coal.

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Unfortunately it's not a 1 to 1 comparison between heaters. Wire gauge, build design, length, and the voltage controller being used (mine is 9-24V at 3A). I do have a heat gun I've been meaning to try out. I'll throw a piece on today and test at what temperature combustion begins.

I've actually been thinking about something. When I used to smoke herb, there were times in college we'd get some great nuggets but they had been over dried or cured for too long, so it was challenging to deal with and harsh to smoke. We'd throw an ounce in a glass ball jar and flick a few drops of water inside, cover it, and wait a few days - the water would rehydrate the buds evenly. Not sure why that happens (any Bill Nye's in here care to explain the science behind this process? :) ). In any event - could the same strategy be applied to oud? Obviously I'd take it slow and start with only a few grams in case the wood got ruined or moldy in some way, but I think the added moisture content would increase the wood's capacity for heat, and ultimately improve the odor as the resin could hit a higher temp without hitting a smoke point. Penny for your thoughts Edward?

EJayB

True Ouddict
I think that’s marvelous! Just not to much and don’t store the hydrated wood. This wood seems a bit thick on the inside and I also got another wood sample and it was super thick on the inside(solid) and some looked like it had been scraped, doesn’t look like incense grade but an up cycling of pot stock.

EJayB

True Ouddict
Wild Khao Yai
464B3F54-5E21-4E9E-B3DE-CEC95D50877F.jpeg

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
OK - so here's a good comparison I've been doing. RPP has a similar cultivated Hindi wood. It's a bit darker than OudBase's but similar nonetheless. The scent is similar and they both struggle with the same sensitivity to heat. Maybe that's just how all Hindi wood is?

Here are some photos for comparison. The single piece photos are all of the OudBase wood. The comparison shot has the RPP wood side by side. RPP on the right, Oudbase on the left. The Oudbase wood is interesting. As you can see, some pieces are pretty well resinated through the center, but some are far less so. For the price, it's hard to complain though. I'll try the rehydrating and report back!

Attachments

• 40426c85-b846-4829-a939-f0a3ef18cc40.jpg
    40426c85-b846-4829-a939-f0a3ef18cc40.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 39158e27-f1f8-4dd8-b3a5-5652c8e412f0.jpg
    39158e27-f1f8-4dd8-b3a5-5652c8e412f0.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 86e07886-4a6c-4cb4-a441-4e9a8e65db9d.jpg
    86e07886-4a6c-4cb4-a441-4e9a8e65db9d.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 2b67a3a3-8b38-46b3-9786-1bdbf3e2f07a.jpg
    2b67a3a3-8b38-46b3-9786-1bdbf3e2f07a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 331

EJayB

True Ouddict
When I look back at oudbase photo of the Khao Yai it looks similar and maybe I should have looked better at the pictures so I would say it’s as pictured on the site. I also tried the Trat oil(80$) couldn’t resist. It is quite nice and I will probably buy more!

Rahel

Resident Artisan
I received my wood! Very nice scent at extremely low temp and for quite a long time.
If the heat is just a tiny bit to hot the whole piece catches fire and smokes. If I heat it up enough to bubble the resin , it catches fire!
Never had wood that caught fire so easily and you could definitely not heat this on a coal as it would just smoke.
At super low temp it’s very nice and scents the room with a nice sweetness
Hi Edward, thank you for your comments. My electric burner his been out of use for a while now, so I’ve been using coal and it hasn’t had that sort of effect. plus I have a video recording of me burning theses oud chips on coal and I probably have burnt round about 200g of this wood, so I quite surprised by the effects it has had on your electric burner. I think I have get my electric working again to see the effects for my self !

Rahel

Resident Artisan
When I look back at oudbase photo of the Khao Yai it looks similar and maybe I should have looked better at the pictures so I would say it’s as pictured on the site. I also tried the Trat oil(80$) couldn’t resist. It is quite nice and I will probably buy more!
Hi Edward, once again thank you for your comments, really appreciate your honesty review. I’ll be selling samples of my oils with free postage soon!

EJayB

True Ouddict
Tried on the coal and it definitely lit on fire.
Very wonderful scent on low temp subitism
Scents the room for a long time.