1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Embarking On Incense Making

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by Oud_learner, May 2, 2018.

1. Oud_learner

Oud_learner Junior Member

Since I had gathered a decent amount of raw material, I decided to try my hands on incense making just for the fun of it!

Royal Green Hojari resin and powdered (from ApothecarysGarden)
    [​IMG]

Left to right: Myrrh powdered, Boswellia Carterii powdered (both from ApothecarysGarden), charcoal (Shoyeido)
    [​IMG]

Left to right: Cloves, sandalwood, borneol (cloves and borneol from Shoyeido)
    [​IMG]

Will continue to procure ingredients as I go along!

2. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

I've just started to make my own incense sticks just for fun aswell! :) it's alot of fun but can also be a bit tricky.

My favourite that I've made so far had theese ingredients:

Sri lankan: oud, sandal, clove and cinnamon and to that I added some camphour and ambergris(I added it to the oud after I powdered it and left it to "macerate" for some months)... it became like a oudy perfume. Really surprised it turned out this nice.

A small amount of ambergris with the powdered oud does MAGIC to the oud. It makes the oud smell like a perfume rainbow with different notes.

Really looking forward to hear about your and others experiments:)

3. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Tech Support

Great post! Will you make further posts on how to actually make them?!

PersonelHigh and RisingPhoenix like this.
  4. HeidiJoBotanicals

HeidiJoBotanicals Whats this Oud About?

There is some really great information on how to make incense at http://incensemaking.com/making-incense.htm
    I've been making cones for a little while now (haven't gotten an extruder for sticks yet). Cones are incredibly easy to make, but I suppose if you are working with agar wood and other more expensive ingredients (I haven't yet!) the joss stick form makes much more sense!

5. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh True Ouddict

My nose has appreciated more than any other gift this year, the gift I put off giving because frankly they aren't the most beautiful, an electric incense warmer. I want to buy everyone one. Since I got mine last month I too have been making incense. One of my favorite ingredients is bee propolis. I added some Ylang Ylang I infused in oil and juniper berries. The trees where I walk my dog are dripping in blossoms. I'm not sure how good my blend it is, but with time I hope to improve. I used to only burn once a month but now with the warmer I can indulge all day everyday. My lungs are too sensitive for burning. Do people trade incense, that would be cool? I too used the green Frankincense in my blend too. I'm so excited I can start to use my stock pile of Sandalwood oil that I haven't been able to use either. I'm allergic and get pink eye. If anyone ever wants to know if their Sandalwood is authentic, you can send to me. My pink eye test is full proof. Now I can add all the precious Sandalwood that I've collected to my incense blends and actually use them and enjoy rather than stock piling.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Kabir Attars, jalil, Grega and 2 others like this.
  6. Oud_learner

Long overdue post! After procrastinating for so long, finally started making incense.

Sinking Papua New Guinea

[​IMG]

Sinking Mysore sandalwood

[​IMG]

7. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Wow! Can we see what molds you used?

Oudamberlove likes this.
  8. Oud_learner

Oh it is hand extruded using disposable syringe. Very painful but rewarding.

Oudamberlove and Andrew Salkin like this.
  9. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Oh that's impressive. How do you get them to be so uniform and straight?

When I tried doing this. I used a pepper Burr grinder and it took hours to get just a few grams of powder. Not all of it gets powdery though - some stays kinda stringy and I didn't sift it which I think is why mine didn't work well.

Also when I tried it, it was nearly impossible to get the right consistency. Always too wet or too dry! And when I would extrude it, it wouldn't stay the same wetness in the syringe - the pressure would basically squeeze out a bunch of juice and then dry everything in the syringe where it would just get dry and stuck! Im seriously impressed!

Oudamberlove likes this.

Promote Oud!