Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Hello in my experience and view ageing works wonders for oils. Its great if you have purhased a fresh oil and follow it through its journey whilst it ages you can smell the change in notes. Some people have the view that ageing doesnt always have a positive impact on an oil this may be the case in some odd cases but i have not yet experienced an oil which has gone bad due to ageing. You could for example decant 1ml into a v vial and keep it for ageing and use whats left, air in a bottle will oxidise and force age an oil i dont always think this is a bad thing as some oils like this have smelt great and others not. Its best to experiment with different techniques yourself and this is a better learning experience.

Aleata

Oud Mood
Hello in my experience and view ageing works wonders for oils. Its great if you have purhased a fresh oil and follow it through its journey whilst it ages you can smell the change in notes. Some people have the view that ageing doesnt always have a positive impact on an oil this may be the case in some odd cases but i have not yet experienced an oil which has gone bad due to ageing. You could for example decant 1ml into a v vial and keep it for ageing and use whats left, air in a bottle will oxidise and force age an oil i dont always think this is a bad thing as some oils like this have smelt great and others not. Its best to experiment with different techniques yourself and this is a better learning experience.
Thank you very much for this answer, appreciate :)

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan
Hello guys,
I would like to know if an oil improve with years? (if the bottle is not opened/if the bottle is opened, and the oil used)
Thanks you very much!
Barn Yard Oils Tend to age the best , 1 Example , an Old Guy gave me a bottle of Oud in 1997 , when I smelled it I thought the guy took a dump in the bottle or it smell like a real bad dirty baby diaper , There was no way I was going to wear it plus I did not want to offend my brother , So I took the Bottle and left it behind my closet and forgot about it , Fast forward to 2011 , I just got married and I was cleaning out my closet for my wife clothes . what did I find ?, the Poop in a bottle stashed away , I was about to through the Oil in the garbage , I wanted to smell it 1 more time , smelled from the applicator , OMG , no Fecal note , no more Dirty diaper , what was left is pure Woods and Incense , Hence From my experience the Barn Yard Oils age the best , Habs was correct , best thing is to get oils fresh of the Still ( Feel Oud ) and grow with it , put a molecule dot on the arm every 6 months and you will see the journey beginning , One of the mystical Oils that caught me off guard was Bizet ( Feel Oud ) , When I received it the Animalic nuances was to strong for me , I left the bottle aside for 9 months and Barnyard has left building and pure Incense and Woods again , I actually used up the Bizet 3 ML in 1 month , That's how good it was , thank God I purchased a Couple of Bottles , Price was 90.00 when other Vendors would of Sold it for 400.00

Aleata

Oud Mood
Barn Yard Oils Tend to age the best , 1 Example , an Old Guy gave me a bottle of Oud in 1997 , when I smelled it I thought the guy took a dump in the bottle or it smell like a real bad dirty baby diaper , There was no way I was going to wear it plus I did not want to offend my brother , So I took the Bottle and left it behind my closet and forgot about it , Fast forward to 2011 , I just got married and I was cleaning out my closet for my wife clothes . what did I find ?, the Poop in a bottle stashed away , I was about to through the Oil in the garbage , I wanted to smell it 1 more time , smelled from the applicator , OMG , no Fecal note , no more Dirty diaper , what was left is pure Woods and Incense , Hence From my experience the Barn Yard Oils age the best , Habs was correct , best thing is to get oils fresh of the Still ( Feel Oud ) and grow with it , put a molecule dot on the arm every 6 months and you will see the journey beginning , One of the mystical Oils that caught me off guard was Bizet ( Feel Oud ) , When I received it the Animalic nuances was to strong for me , I left the bottle aside for 9 months and Barnyard has left building and pure Incense and Woods again , I actually used up the Bizet 3 ML in 1 month , That's how good it was , thank God I purchased a Couple of Bottles , Price was 90.00 when other Vendors would of Sold it for 400.00

Thanks a lot for this answer!
So, it is ok if I open and use the oil one or a few times ? No oxydation or phenomenon like ?
Thx

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan
Thanks a lot for this answer!
So, it is ok if I open and use the oil one or a few times ? No oxydation or phenomenon like ?
Thx
Oxidation will happen If there is lots of room in the Bottle or Sample Vial, as Long you store in it a dark a cool place it should be ok , and keep a journal to note the nuances when applied and don't forget to date the journal for scents , I had many difficulty to blend Ouds and floral Oils , come back in 9 months the Oud takes over and no more rose or Jasmine gone , So I go back to the drawing board , Hence proper storing is the best and purchasing fresh off the still is the best , but after experience The barnyard Oils age the best kinda like Parmesan cheese that's aged over 40 years does have a unique and funky smell , but once the tongues touches the aged cheese , Pure bliss baby

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
Don't worry about opening the bottles bro :)

My father have bottles that he have had for over 15 years. He open them and use them like normal and they smell amazing. If I tell him dad be careful they might oxidize he would most propably laugh at me. I think this is much of an hype.

Not that oxidation isn't occurring but I mean people care too much about it. In the end this is a perfume that should be used right?

For some ouds I like my super oxidized sample more than a fresh new bottle of the same oil.

TDK

Oud Fanatic
This is great information as I have purchased several fresh oud oils with heavy animalic tops which I really like. I was also wondering how the oils age which have camphoric or green forest tops or the ones that smell like the sea and smoked fish on the top? The dry down is spectacular as is, but these harsh tops, which I treasure, can be annoying to others in a public setting.

Last edited: