Distilling Tahiti Vanilla ?!

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Feb 11, 2019.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

A friend is sending me 4 pounds of AAAAA grade Tahitian Vanilla Beans from last years harvest. Im not even sure it will make any oil but were going to find out . I can only imagine what a magnificently magical essence oil this will potentially make .
    Anyone who guesses the amount of oil produces will win a full bottle of the ambergrisvanillahojary.
    awnser down to the 0.1 ©2014VanillaFromTahiti-4a.jpg Tahitian beans are usually shorter, plumper and contain a higher oil and water content than Bourbon beans.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Martin, Sproaty and Grega like this.
  2. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

I’ll guess 3ml of oil.

tyson likes this.
  3. Elixir Attar

Elixir Attar Oud Fan

7.1 ml

tyson likes this.
  4. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

I am guessing you will not get even a single milliliter. So I will guess 0.75 ml

Good luck.

tyson likes this.
  5. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

0.5ml

tyson likes this.
  6. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The person who im doing this for sells hydrosols so he will at least get his money back from this test... It is a bit of a gamble I have to say , im going to assume that it will be less than 1 ml but who knows maybe there will be a pleasant surprise

Sproaty likes this.
  7. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

0.82 :)

tyson likes this.
  8. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

0.1 ml

tyson likes this.
  9. Bryan-I

Bryan-I Oud Fan

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

tyson likes this.
  10. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

I’m revising it downward. Less than 0.1 ml, basically a light skin of oil on the surface.

Vanillin’s boiling point is like 500 F or close to it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    tyson likes this.
  11. Kabir Attars

Kabir Attars Just Arrived

12. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Looks like your the winner powdernose , will send your prize off later this week :) send me your shipping addy please :)

The tiny drops were not really oil but a butter much like orris root . The smell was off the charts fantastic , buttery nutty vanilla with this magnetic pheromone note that really blew my mind. My condenser has so many coils that it also absorbed any of the vanilla butter , not the best condenser for getting such tiny bit of oil but that's just a drawback for distilling a gram or less so really not that much of a concern for 99 percent of applications .

Bryan-I likes this.
  13. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Thanks!

Pheromone smell? sounds like it was worth the olfactory adventure.
    How's the hydrosol?

14. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The hydrosol was beyond my expectation , its so close to the scent of the bean and when you drink it , it feels very powerful . I think alot of the water soluble chemical properties were infused into this water . There are 500 different chemicals in vanilla and only 250 of them are known so its hard to say what came over but you really feel it when you drink a little , pure magic ! A hydrosol fit for spritzing oneself or used in culinary masterpieces .

15. noobie

noobie Just Arrived

0.1 ml from 4 pounds?!

tyson likes this.

Promote Oud!