AlHindOud

Resident Artisan
Another batch of sandalwood arrived! This time it’s from different region and the material is from sandalwood roots! Can’t be more excited!!!

Wow the place smells sooooo heavenly!

992391D8-9B5C-401E-8DAB-3FEB8840DBAC.jpeg

F93C9F8C-EB27-48F4-8A94-3D12FA6D0C0B.jpeg

EJayB

True Ouddict
That’s such a nice grinding job , that has so much to do with yields
I like the fine shavings like you have over the powdered form because I feel it doesn’t clump or stick to the side of the pot as much and requires less mixing to keep it off the bottom. Don’t want to scorch that sandal !!!
Can’t wait to try it 😎

AlHindOud

Resident Artisan
I read once that you do not want to reduce sandalwood to powder before distilling - prevents clumping and steam from getting trapped in gummy bubbles apparently. You want a kind of coarse shaggy pulp, speaking from ZERO personal experience, lol.
You are correct and for this very reason, mechanical or electric stirring is done consistently.

But I agree with Ed’s statement as well that we get better yield with some fine (not complete powder) grinding. I experienced this with my previous distillation of Mysore sandalwood.

AlHindOud

Resident Artisan
Let it flow!!!!
Very light color
As you get further into it do you raise the heat a bit and “drive” out a final pull ?
Good question. Idk if I pull this out and then for the last fraction, If I rise the temp, that might make it smokier? My focus is on the smell profile right now and I can experiment with the high temperature later. Maybe there's a possibility of raising 20-30F? Let's see.

Last edited:

The Scent Guru

Agarwhoreder
Staff member
That looks wonderful! I wish I could distill :( Dont know where to buy equipment.....!
Equipment is readily available and not too expensive to start with say, a 10L still but the peripherals and materials to distill....and time, energy, experience! I wish I had room, I live in a confined space in the 9th biggest city in the USA....or I'd be all over it.

If @EJayB was a few hours closer I'd be bugging him all the time to let me sit in on the process!

Orristocratic

True Ouddict
Equipment is readily available and not too expensive to start with say, a 10L still but the peripherals and materials to distill....and time, energy, experience! I wish I had room, I live in a confined space in the 9th biggest city in the USA....or I'd be all over it.

If @EJayB was a few hours closer I'd be bugging him all the time to let me sit in on the process!
Its certainly a time consuming process to understand. Wish there were some sort of tutorials or videos teaching this!!