Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Hi, I've recently swapped to a chisel from this rubbish hand saw that I had - figured it's less wasteful to just chop a piece of wood rather than sawing through it.

However I am now up against a new enemy - bits of wood flying everywhere when I chisel through it! I'm sure that I've lost a bit of wood by doing this.

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding this, and also for splitting smaller chunks of wood where it won't sit "flat" on the cutting board? I had a thick piece last night that I wanted to split but couldn't get the piece to rest on the board in a way that'd let me split it where I wanted to.

BTW I am doing all my chopping on a smallish wooden cutting board which is pretty solid. My chisel was cheap, nothing special but it's quite sharp with sharp sides of the chisel too

Arsalan

True Ouddict
I think we all know the flying tiny pieces of wood...and then you gotta go looking...lol.
A pic of the chisel would help understand your challenge...
Blade shape...straight or angled (which direction, depending on right or left handed?
Shape of handle will determine how you apply force...

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Hey good shout, I should have provided a picture.

20200401_145616.jpg

Mr.P

oud<3er
I use an exacto knife and just gently tap the blade through when cutting with the grain. The thin blade does not apply so much lateral force as a chisel like the one pictured. that blade is a pretty thick wedge so the outward force is going to be strong if you drive it through a piece of wood.

For splitting with the grain I would look a t an exacto knife set with the chisel tips - some of the larger blades may be preferable - and just tap the blade through with a small mallet or homemade equivalent. You can then use a saw for cross-cuts.

Try this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-1651...=1&keywords=exacto+saw&qid=1585838882&sr=8-12

Cross cutting dense resinated wood is always a hassle I think. Maybe this miter box set would help if it is all the right size to fit your chips.
https://www.amazon.com/ELMERS-X-Act...rds=hobby+saw+miter+box&qid=1585839091&sr=8-8

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
You should just toss that pile of half spent chips on a coal some day and fumigate your whole home...

That's the plan! Same with all the dust build up (well, the bigger pile - the smaller is not very good [whici is why it's separate])

I use an exacto knife and just gently tap the blade through when cutting with the grain. The thin blade does not apply so much lateral force as a chisel like the one pictured. that blade is a pretty thick wedge so the outward force is going to be strong if you drive it through a piece of wood.

For splitting with the grain I would look a t an exacto knife set with the chisel tips - some of the larger blades may be preferable - and just tap the blade through with a small mallet or homemade equivalent. You can then use a saw for cross-cuts.

Try this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-1651...=1&keywords=exacto+saw&qid=1585838882&sr=8-12

Cross cutting dense resinated wood is always a hassle I think. Maybe this miter box set would help if it is all the right size to fit your chips.
https://www.amazon.com/ELMERS-X-Act...rds=hobby+saw+miter+box&qid=1585839091&sr=8-8

Good advice - thanks. You're right, the chisel is a bit heavy handed. I'll look into an alternative like these sharp knives

Joyoud

Oud Fan
If you are trying to get (shavings) then you’re best choice will be the Carving Chisel (not the one you have) !
But if you want just cutting (smaller sizes) ,use the Wire cutter ! You might be surprised but believe me it’s works better than
This chisel big time and that’s what I use ,even though I am a sculpture and I have maybe 50+ Carving chisels and all
Kind of small (mini) power tools ,but I use only the wire cutter for my wood.
No flying pcs. and you can control what you’re cutting so easily.

PersonelHigh

True Ouddict
Hi, I've recently swapped to a chisel from this rubbish hand saw that I had - figured it's less wasteful to just chop a piece of wood rather than sawing through it.

However I am now up against a new enemy - bits of wood flying everywhere when I chisel through it! I'm sure that I've lost a bit of wood by doing this.

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding this, and also for splitting smaller chunks of wood where it won't sit "flat" on the cutting board? I had a thick piece last night that I wanted to split but couldn't get the piece to rest on the board in a way that'd let me split it where I wanted to.

BTW I am doing all my chopping on a smallish wooden cutting board which is pretty solid. My chisel was cheap, nothing special but it's quite sharp with sharp sides of the chisel too

Hey Spoats what have you settled on? Or are you still in search?

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Hey Spoats what have you settled on? Or are you still in search?

I'm still using the one pictured in the original post - it's served me quite well. Saying that, I haven't used it much - I tend to choose woods that I can easily (or without too much effort) break off a decent sized piece which will last all day/night.

Lupin fox

Oud Fan
Have you tried the types of flat chisel that come with a good wood carving set? They are smaller and thinner blade so they are easier to control than the big chunky ones and tend to be sharper as well....when cutting smaller pieces at least.
You will still have the odd piece that fly's off into the ether never to return but not as many as you would with a big chisel. Other than that a good scalpel type blade helps.

A piece of cardboard folded around your cutting area like a visor for flyaway's will help to catch most of those that ping....unless they decide to go the other way and hop over your shoulder or try and take your eye out.

And for sawing small pieces I use one of those tamiya model saws. Gives a nice fine powder.

Last edited: