Burnt Oud After-stink

Discussion in 'Agarwood' started by Mr.P, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

ok, I have a problem with oud it seems. I burn oud in one room of the house. Always smells decent when burning the wood, but a few hours later or the next day the residual smell is not pleasant. This is true for basically every oud I burn except kyara and some Cambodian chips I have. To me, the residual smell of almost all agarwood is like and unclean “old person” smell. I can’t think of any other way to describe it. This is the last freaking thing I want my house to smell like... I wonder if what I see as a kind of old person stench is somehow appreciated as a pleasant woody after-scent by most. I would never, ever, want anyone not intimately familiar with oud to enter my house an hour or two after I have burned oud. It’s just nasty. I end up setting off a frankincense “bomb” to mask the odor, but that barely works. How do you all deal with the old person stink of oud residue? My wife smells the same thing. Are our noses broken?

Don’t tell me it’s my oud - I have lots of high grade chips and don’t burn bottom shelf wood chips at all. My instinct is that Malaysian and Indonesian oud chips generally are the most likely to leave a strong old-lady residue on everything. Ugh.

2. NoLimit2Light

NoLimit2Light Whats this Oud About?

Have visitors commented on the scent, describing it as such? Wondering if it's your perception of the scent vice what others perceive?

Is this the same experience for Hindi locals?

Very interesting as I (nor family) percieve old people or unclean scents after fumigation. As well as the time after the burn.

Maybe the scent is interacting with something else in your home, like a carpet or curtains???

3. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Good idea - could be the curtains. I should wash them and then mist them with vetiver oil.

Maybe I just have worse quality ouds than I realized!?! Maybe I am hypersensitive to some fecal note that smells more subtle or in-balance to others? Wish I knew!

NoLimit2Light likes this.
  4. NoLimit2Light

NoLimit2Light Whats this Oud About?

I wish you luck!
    I know I don't like some Indonesian ouds. I love others. I'm enamored by wild Vietnamese; but I had some that smelled like a dirty turtle tank raw and burned. It was traumatic! I have never encountered Assam oud that I wasnt in love with. It's a fun/funny journey with oud. Albeit expensive.

Martin likes this.
  5. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I get a “barnyard in the air” after-effect,
    but that’s with certain incense sticks.

There is always a strong breeze running through my room window,,,a few hours with the windows open...and the air gets refreshed.

NoLimit2Light likes this.
  6. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

I think you mean the “stale smoke smell”. This is a term that is actually used amongst smokers a lot (cigarettes/cigars) but it is applicable with many burnt items. I also get it. My experience is that it generally occurs when I push too hard and burn the oud chip beyond a certain limit. Also it is more likely to occur with oud chips that has more wood fibers and less oil and resins. This is just my observation from my own heating and burning experience. Hope it helps.

RisingPhoenix and NoLimit2Light like this.
  7. Azzam

Azzam The Alchemist

Burn pure resin, there are no wood fibers that will give nasty smell.

VPhong likes this.
  8. amanitamusc

amanitamusc Oud Fan

I mainly burn on low heat.No smoke and the room is left with a (Clean old man smell):Whistling::p:Roflmao:
    On a serious note.I only remember a bad smell after burning sage.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    VPhong likes this.

Promote Oud!