Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

@Oudamberlove I've used this as my guide for wood storage a short but as always very informative write-up from KZ https://www.kyarazen.com/long-can-fragrant-woods-kept/

2. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

Thanks for the pic @Joe King ..didn't quite understand the " I wrapped the wire ends around the posts and then wrapped them around the wire back to the centre heating part."

Zarrar and Arsalan like this.
  3. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly Staff Member

Earlier I was burning the Khao Yai Super wood that arrived today from Al Hashimi.
    Bandarnban chips by Royal Bengal Ouds. Great price for some awesome smelling wood!

I'm sorry...I struggle to "explain" the smells I get from burning!

I made a post in here earlier this week (early Sunday morning) about some incense sticks that I bought from @RisingPhoenix during the Oud Fayre. They're based on Nag Champa - and wow! It's been what, 4, 5 days since I burned it, and whenever I come back into my house I can smell this scent lingering really strongly! I quickly adjust and go noseblind to it, but it's pungent upon first entering, a deliciously sweet smell.
    JK will be releasing these shortly - watch out! Very recommended :)

4. Bryan-I

Bryan-I Oud Fan

Hindi from Zak. Spicy goodness.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Chip Burns and Oudamberlove like this.
  5. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

@Sproaty I see you're quite the burner as well... I'm waiting for my Al Hashimi Khao Yai as well should have it by tomorrow. InShaAllah (god willing)
    You and me both brother. I know profiles that are established like "Hindi Assami" or "Borneo Kalimantan" apart from that I struggle to articulate the subtle nuances that I find in each piece of wood that I heat.
    thinking of taking or developing an aroma training kit with essential oils to better acclimate me with the notes that could possibly be used in my descriptive attempts.

6. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Hopefully this pic is clear enough to show what I mean. By twisting the wires together at this part it reduces the heat produced in this section of wire.

Attached Files:

Sproaty and Chip Burns like this.
  7. Sproaty

Glad that I'm not the only one! Yes I found it great to smell Feroz's essential oils to know the individual raw materials in isolation instead of mixed into a scent (plus they're great!)

RisingPhoenix and Chip Burns like this.
  8. Bryan-I

Bryan-I Oud Fan

Imperial Oud wild Burmese. This seems most unique. Piercing medicinal note that floats above a Hindi like spiciness. Fills the whole house.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

9. AZsmell

AZsmell Oud Fan

Feel Oud - Maroke Life
    I haven't burned any oud in quite some time. Every time I burn oud I wonder why I don't do it more often. This wood isn't the highest quality but the price is great and the aroma is very nice.

Sproaty, Chip Burns and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  10. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

Makes sense. Oil rich vs. resin rich.

11. Rasoul Salehi

Push comes to shove if I had to choose one or the other I think I’ll go for wood. The ceremony of it. The engaging, in the moment, and art aspect of it...

Chip Burns likes this.
  12. Rasoul Salehi

Agreed. Good one. So is their Burma oil.

Bryan-I and Chip Burns like this.
  13. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

Agreed on all counts!!
    The Maroke Haya (life) is a special wood that I particularly enjoy from Feel Oud ... are you using coal or an electric option?

Zarrar, Rasoul Salehi and Sproaty like this.
  14. Sproaty

some frankincense from Al Hashimi on the go (I never know how big of a frankincense ...err, "ball" to burn at one go) - very sweet scent filling me room. Frankincense should kinda melt down right?

Chip Burns and Arsalan like this.
  15. Arsalan

Arsalan Oud Fan

Yes it should melt down...if the temp is too high though it kinda gets seared on the outside.

Another thing...various types of frankincense have different oil/resin/gum ratio...so some may maintain their shape more if they have a high gum content and not completely “melt down.”

Chip Burns, Rasoul Salehi and Sproaty like this.
  16. Rasoul Salehi

And the oil. You should try it. Easily the most approachable maroke and one that I think of as pretty and feminine. In a good way.

Chip Burns likes this.
  17. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Al Hashimi Sinking Filipino

Nice heating session, filled my room with aroma, and during the late part of the burn, I got a Walla Patta vibe.
    I wonder if the wood could be Gyrinops:Geek:

18. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

Adam @ Feel-Oud in his generosity slipped in a sample of the oil, as much as I hate to admit (being an avowed wood guy), I must say the oil is wonderful and definitely leaves a lasting impression surpassing the wood.

Zarrar, Rasoul Salehi and Sproaty like this.
  19. Sproaty

:eek::eek:

Chip Burns likes this.
  20. AZsmell

AZsmell Oud Fan

I use a subitism from KZ for all my wood heating. The voltage adjuster is vital. I used to use coal but too messy and I don't like the smell of burning coal. Also I dropped a coal once and burned the kitchen rug. Wife wasn't very happy.

Chip Burns likes this.

Promote Oud!