Arsalan

True Ouddict
I need to do the same. I'm having a better experience from dicing up my chips vs. breaking bits off and burning those, when they're finer they seem to burn better and emit a better scent.
I have the mysore logs from Ish too but need to shave bits off. I should invest in some cutting tool of sorts; right now I am using a scissors.

Correct tool for the job makes it much easier...
You could look into “hobby knives” they are shaped like a pen with little triangular blades, and blades can be replaced...good cheap easy option.
Fine wood working chisel is another option...
But for making shavings, my favourite is the Opinel #6...great little knives, cheap too, historic as well been made for over a 100 years, still pretty much the same...the numbers refer to the size, I find the medium or small sizes are best for shavings as the blade is a bit thinner and easier to handle. Check the Wiki page for Opinel...the ring lock is great for safety, but still gotta be careful...Downside...eventually you gotta sharpen them...but they are easy to sharpen...if you get the high carbon blade, on anything, which are great, just make sure to dry the blade before putting away...

D56933EB-A188-4243-B436-C5846B6462F6.jpeg

Last edited:

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
Sri Lankan chips now. Initially there is a hint of something salty - think of walking on a beach after the rain and the sun is shining. Thus the air is a bit salty. The smell has some similarities with ambergris (tincture/maceration). I also found some similarities with heavily diluted Thai fish sauce on my olfactive periphery. But the fish sauce thing goes away very quickly and gets very incensy with the salty/ambergris like smell taking the back seat. 10 minutes so far.

Earlier, burned some ~300 years old of cedar chips Stephen sent me. Lovely stuff. Thanks a lot @hedycent.:Thumbsup:

Last edited:
Started with a variety of incense sticks, then finished with some old stock Yamadamatsu SS grade chunk. It has a predominantly Kalimantan profile, sunshiney with a vanillic heart..... complex for sure!

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
EO
Maluku ceram. Day in. Day out. Just nuts.
Those iris and lesser extent violet notes. The cream and acacia honey. The mild bitterness running underneath. Just do damn delicious and unique.

I never understood sumatora wood from EO or found much to celebrate in new guniea signature.

But ceram is off the charts.

Kyukyodo Murasakino
I wonder if the musk used is Deer Musk, or a plant based substitute. Sometimes it smells like musk and ambergris, but it’s so difficult to be certain.
Unlike a swipe of oil, where you can monitor the scent progression, incense smoke doesn’t give you much time to pick it apart.
Anyhow, I love the blend:Inlove:

Edward Muller

True Ouddict
Purple Kinam Powder (Chinese Agarwood Vendor)
I ordered 0.5g of this. Have been trying to study the notes of this powder but it have trouble breaking it down into individual notes.
I used a pinch for my electric burner.
It does NOT fill up the entire room like I expected - but then again I am not sure if I am expecting too much from such a small qty.
I am currently about 40 cm away from my burner and I get whiffs of intoxicating creamy oudiness. It is not heavy nor piercing - my point of reference for Kinam type of aroma is Ensar’s distillations. As it is the most distinct and easily recognizable. And then there are oils from Taha and Mr. Al Shareef that captures the Kyara notes, where it feels comforting and creamy.
The wood ‘scraps’ I m heating - is a hybrid of the two. I do manage to pick up the heady note EO’s style but dialed way back. And the full bodied aroma of Taha and ASO’s take on Kyara, but with a little more.
My only bone (maybe two) to pick, is that the scent is very fleeting, like a phantom. One moment it is so strong and prominent, it suddenly disappears and vanish without a trace, only to come back minutes later to do the haunting and repeating the cycle.
And of course being a burner material - I am not able to wear it out [emoji20]
I can understand why some people prefers oud wood over oud oil, as the scent feels much more complete and elegant. And probably the heating process brings another element and dimension to the whole experience. The warmth somehow just completes the picture. It’s like making a chocolate syrup from scratch - Cocoa Powder, water and Sugar make the majority of the recipe, yet without a pinch of salt and vanilla - the syrup is hard to go from good to great - if only there’s a way to bring this aroma around - maybe like a USB charged necklace/bracelet that allow one to heat the oud wood on the go - like a vaping pen that can be left on... and worn like fashion accessories [emoji851]

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
Purple Kinam Powder (Chinese Agarwood Vendor)
I ordered 0.5g of this. Have been trying to study the notes of this powder but it have trouble breaking it down into individual notes.
I used a pinch for my electric burner.
It does NOT fill up the entire room like I expected - but then again I am not sure if I am expecting too much from such a small qty.
I am currently about 40 cm away from my burner and I get whiffs of intoxicating creamy oudiness. It is not heavy nor piercing - my point of reference for Kinam type of aroma is Ensar’s distillations. As it is the most distinct and easily recognizable. And then there are oils from Taha and Mr. Al Shareef that captures the Kyara notes, where it feels comforting and creamy.
The wood ‘scraps’ I m heating - is a hybrid of the two. I do manage to pick up the heady note EO’s style but dialed way back. And the full bodied aroma of Taha and ASO’s take on Kyara, but with a little more.
My only bone (maybe two) to pick, is that the scent is very fleeting, like a phantom. One moment it is so strong and prominent, it suddenly disappears and vanish without a trace, only to come back minutes later to do the haunting and repeating the cycle.
And of course being a burner material - I am not able to wear it out [emoji20]
I can understand why some people prefers oud wood over oud oil, as the scent feels much more complete and elegant. And probably the heating process brings another element and dimension to the whole experience. The warmth somehow just completes the picture. It’s like making a chocolate syrup from scratch - Cocoa Powder, water and Sugar make the majority of the recipe, yet without a pinch of salt and vanilla - the syrup is hard to go from good to great - if only there’s a way to bring this aroma around - maybe like a USB charged necklace/bracelet that allow one to heat the oud wood on the go - like a vaping pen that can be left on... and worn like fashion accessories [emoji851]
My 2 cents

Kinam at medium heat gives an intense quick experience and then poof. Gone. At super duper low temp it is only enjoyable via ultra close up monkoh and then it can go on more minutes. Am sure some kinam with more weight and bit more resin will last longer but good luck to all of us to find them and if and when we do to afford them

Edward Muller

True Ouddict
My 2 cents

Kinam at medium heat gives an intense quick experience and then poof. Gone. At super duper low temp it is only enjoyable via ultra close up monkoh and then it can go on more minutes. Am sure some kinam with more weight and bit more resin will last longer but good luck to all of us to find them and if and when we do to afford them

That is so true! I always had the presumption that kinam will smell stronger and last longer than normal oud (besides the more complex aroma)....

Edward Muller

True Ouddict
Where can we purchase Kinam besides EO?

I purchase mine from a Chinese vendor, though I do have reservations about their quality (as I don’t have any other kinam to compare it to a though I am happy with it so far), I am not aware of any other sources...

Z

Zahir

I purchase mine from a Chinese vendor, though I do have reservations about their quality (as I don’t have any other kinam to compare it to a though I am happy with it so far), I am not aware of any other sources...
Ever tried any from Japanese incense stores?

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Wild Assamese Agarwood: One of the best pieces of Oudwood I ever tried. Feel like bathing in Oudy drizzling. This wild wood is the wood distilled to have Shah Jahan (IO). I love wood more than the oil.

Till today, I haven't experienced some wood fill the room with aroma the way some attar or Oud oil with high projection does. And this is the beauty of Oudwood as it exudes aroma that is soothing. Even the wood, that is named Kynam, smell the way wood has to smell when heated. But the difference I observe in organic and wild wood is the fragrance the wood exudes without heating. I might be wrong but Kynm is a nice cover to add at least $300 to $500 in the price. Otherwise, its aroma is like a nice perfume.

Z

Zahir

Wild Assamese Agarwood: One of the best pieces of Oudwood I ever tried. Feel like bathing in Oudy drizzling. This wild wood is the wood distilled to have Shah Jahan (IO). I love wood more than the oil.

Till today, I haven't experienced some wood fill the room with aroma the way some attar or Oud oil with high projection does. And this is the beauty of Oudwood as it exudes aroma that is soothing. Even the wood, that is named Kynam, smell the way wood has to smell when heated. But the difference I observe in organic and wild wood is the fragrance the wood exudes without heating. I might be wrong but Kynm is a nice cover to add at least $300 to $500 in the price. Otherwise, its aroma is like a nice perfume.

I think that is a very good debatable point: is an oil being labelled Kinam or being described as having Kinamic nuances in order to mark up its' price? Secondly, is the price of the oil (final product) determined by the scent profile or the wood that went into making the oil? In addition to host of other factors that are involved in distillation. Should a consumer even have to 'pay' for the travel expenses that went into distillation of an oil?