1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Brunei Kodo Kit (#2) Coming Friday 10/9/20 @ 5pm Pst

Discussion in 'Kodo King' started by KodoKing, Oct 8, 2020.

1. KodoKing

KodoKing Oud Fanatic

Hey Ouddict Members! New Kodo King Kodo Kit being prepped for Friday Release - details are below and I highly, highly recommend trying these woods, they are specimens that do not become available often.

Welcome to Brunei - Independent since 1984 however, rich with historic turmoil since the fall of the Bruneian Empire in 1888. Brunei is known to produce a uniquely spicy Aloeswood scent profile. This has become so popular over the years that there are imitations all over the place. Here is the opportunity to score 4 exemplary Bruneian woods - each unique but true to region.

Kodo Kit includes 1 gram each of the below 4 woods;

Brunei Heartwood - Solid with resonation through both sides.

Top Notes include: Intense Spiciness, cardamom, allspice, clove, as well as dried fruit incense

Brunei Carving Excess - Solid as a rock, fully resonated Brunei Black carving excess.

Top Notes: Rich buttery purple spice - cardamom, cumin, saffron - with a touch of hay

Brunei Nirvana - Soil Tigerswood - resin throughout, pure exotic bliss, smell is fabulous even at room temperature - a personal favorite.

Top Notes: Rush of Spice - Vintage, Nutmeg, Allspice, Dried Cherry Incense

Brunei Soil - Rock Solid, unbreakable, crystalized resin within the grain patterns - old stock Brunei.

Top Notes: Kinamic Undertones on low heat, invigorating Brunei Blue, Spiciness, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Black Pepper - Dried Fruit Incense

IMG_7502.JPEG

2. Mustafa

Mustafa Oud Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up. It would also help if you give us suggestions about the optimum temperature.

KodoKing likes this.
  3. KodoKing

KodoKing Oud Fanatic

I can do that for sure! I will update for the last kit and the new one - but if you’re using an Abdenbi burner then general rule is LOW heat - his heating element is much larger than what I use.

RisingPhoenix likes this.
  4. Taesik Yun

Taesik Yun True Ouddict Staff Member

5. KodoKing

KodoKing Oud Fanatic

So I pulled out the laser thermometer and took some readings - I like to start out at about 130-150* Celsius - and creep the temperature up every 10-15 minutes or so to my ceiling which is about 300*C.

Note that Soil woods will do well with higher heat generally - these for example, I would start at 150 rather than 130 for more delicate, softer woods.

Kyaras and Borneo, Brunei, China, Cambodia Kinam I would lean more towards starting quite low - even closer to 115* - but again, True Kyara and Cambodi seem to require lower heats while the Borneo / China woods can handle higher heat (higher meaning okay to start around 120*)

This will always be a judgement call - more oil heavy woods will thrive on lower heat to not burn the oil. Whereas resin heavy (usually older infection, vintage) woods will like higher heats - I find these to be the most fun because you can typically get a completely different scent on low heat from higher heat.

If you have access to an infrared thermometer (inexpensive on Amazon.com) - I recommend taking some readings - I found that measuring the temp of the wood after leaving at same temp for about 10 minutes works well since the IR doesn't always get a consistent read from mica - and be sure to create a table for reference of the temps at various voltage readings from your dial.

6. Mustafa

Mustafa Oud Fanatic

Thanks you so much brother

KodoKing likes this.
  7. Proust Madeleine

Proust Madeleine Oud Fanatic

Sounds fantastic.

KodoKing likes this.
  8. KodoKing

KodoKing Oud Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Mario P., DubOudh and Taesik Yun like this.

Promote Oud!