• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Brugmansia

hedycent

True Ouddict
Not sure what the tree on the right is intended to represent, the climbing plant growing up it looks like campsis.
In botany old world and new world is a loose way of reference to the americas- new world, and the rest is the old world.

James1

True Ouddict
Not sure what the tree on the right is intended to represent, the climbing plant growing up it looks like campsis.
In botany old world and new world is a loose way of reference to the americas- new world, and the rest is the old world.
Datura is also native to the Americas. I believe they are quite different from each other, not just versions of each other. Datura is more of a bush with upright flowers and brug is a tree with hanging flowers. There are some other differences as well. I understand they are related but from a different genus.

Last edited:

hedycent

True Ouddict
You are absolutely correct, just did a bit of cross referencing. The book I had read some years ago was incorrect. A good few datura do originate in the Americas. I’m grateful for your post James1

TDK

Oud Fanatic
I have a datura plant which is very similar and I have also wondered if this can be done but I personally wouldn't mess with it because it's very very very dangerous. I wouldn't even recommend handling the plant with your bare hands. It contains tropane alkaloids which are very potent poisons and neurotoxins, and they WILL absorb through your skin. Even if you used a small amount where you didn't notice the effect of it, it could still likely cause/ induce latent dementia, schizophrenia or other mental issues. If it were concentrated and put on your skin, you could very likely be dead an hour later. It's a potent deleriant and if you're lucky you will simply be incapacitated and unable to take care of yourself for 12-48 hours. If you take it alone you are also likely to do very very stupid things because you will not be yourself during that time, but you will have the physical ability to walk around and do things.

It is unfortunate though because it has a very beautiful and seductive scent. I think if a perfumer wanted to use brugmansia or similar plants, they would have to be extremely well regulated, testing every single batch for traces of tropane alkaloids. I certainly wouldn't recommend experimenting with it at home.

Until someone figures out how to make perfume, just stick to enjoying it for the beautiful plant that it is.
Yes. This is something not to be messed with if you value your sanity or for that matter, your life. I watched this video years ago. I would not even think of using it as an EO.

James1

True Ouddict
Yes. This is something not to be messed with if you value your sanity or for that matter, your life. I watched this video years ago. I would not even think of using it as an EO.
Yes I've seen that documentary also and that is one of the chemicals present in datura, brugmansia, etc. Scary stuff. It would still be interesting if someone could remove the dangerous chemicals and keep the scent intact but I don't think it would be a simple distillation.

hedycent

True Ouddict
Let’s not compare a purified poison used for abuse, with the fragrance of a night garden.
Lots of what nature provides can be abused. Doesn’t make natures gift malevolent.
A poisoner could use apple seeds if they wanted. Lots of toxic members in Thymelaeaceae too

James1

True Ouddict
Let’s not compare a purified poison used for abuse, with the fragrance of a night garden.
Lots of what nature provides can be abused. Doesn’t make natures gift malevolent.
A poisoner could use apple seeds if they wanted. Lots of toxic members in Thymelaeaceae too
This is not the same as apple seeds. A very small amount of datura is toxic and if you were to make essential oil from it I'm almost certain it would have horrible effects and very likely kill you.