1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Blue Kyara : The Ultimate Mind Bending Experience

Discussion in 'Rising Phoenix' started by RisingPhoenix, Nov 23, 2019.

1. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

2. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time! Staff Member

upload_2019-11-26_18-20-47.png

3. RisingPhoenix

Imran S likes this.
  4. Imran S

Imran S Oud Fanatic

This is got to be the most expensive liquid in the world at whopping approximately USD $15 million per gallon as compared to king cobra venom which sells at USD $153,000 per gallon

RisingPhoenix likes this.
  5. RisingPhoenix

Hadn’t thought of it that way...
    but HOLY #%£€ !!

6. Imran S

Imran S Oud Fanatic

Just received my much anticipated order of BlueKyara and tried it, initial reaction was wow when I unscrewed the cap of the vial and held it under my nose. I wear and Apple Watch and I could see that my heartbeat dropped by 20 points. I got the blue lotus as the top note, then kyara kicked in. It was as if someone had stuck a kyara smoke faucet under my nose. To appreciate this oil you don’t have to wear it, you can simply hold the bottle under your nose. I wish I can acquire a full 3 gr. Vial.

Oudamberlove and RisingPhoenix like this.
  7. RisingPhoenix

I’ve been waiting with baited breath - glad to hear your heart rate didn’t drop too much!

Imran S likes this.
  8. Imran S

Imran S Oud Fanatic

Dropping of heart beat rate for me is associated with meditative state of mind. To me Blue Kyara is not a perfume, it’s a medicine for the heart and mind.

Ouddict and RisingPhoenix like this.
  9. RisingPhoenix

Not everyone’s Hearts are ready to receive medicine like this. Your comment made me smile. Glad you could appreciate it for what it really is ;)

Ouddict and Imran S like this.
  10. RisingPhoenix

More flowing initial feedback ;)

90676D41-1BAC-4168-8E11-309502EF7E24.jpeg

Imran S likes this.
  11. RisingPhoenix

Hey Gang :)

So I've been getting some messages over this oil, and just wanted to clarify any confusion:

1. This oil is 1 of 2 oils I had produced. The first sold out before making it into the shop.

That first oil went to three private clients - each of whom purchased 1 Tola each (there was only about 3 Tolas made). They are Chinese and, sadly, I doubt that they will ever see light of day. They aren't sellers, nor are they active here. Those will likely get shelved as family heirlooms.

2. There seems to be some confusion as to why I would "adulterate" a pure Kyara oil unless it was poor quality.

I did kinda get a good laugh outta this.

Well...it's not poor quality (as the incoming reviews are showing) - and - I made 2 oils (see above #1).
    This is the 2nd that made it into the shop. :) There were originally "options" - sadly only one of those options made it into the shop.

I know it's a big financial risk to take, even on a small amount.
    There's a reason I included in the listing "THIS IS NOT A GIMMICK" haha. Smelling is believing. :)

3. I had someone ask me if this is "a few drops" or "only a small %" of Kyara oil mixed into Blue Lotus...

Nope. This is 99.5% Kyara - yes, KYARA - that has been C02 extracted, to which I added just a pinch (0.5%) of a one-of-a-kind Indian DISTILLED Blue Lotus Essential Oil from 2005. Think of it like adding salt to food. The Oil was spectacular already. The Blue Lotus EO is only there to enhance the effect of the Kyara, not to detract from it. If you're fortunate enough to smell it...you'll understand. See review in post above.

4. I've been collecting material for this project for over 4 years now.

I also had several colleagues pitch in material in exchange for some of the yield. Without their help...this project would have really been out of my financial grasp. Their generosity gave us a rare opportunity to produce an oil at (and I say this carefully) - "an affordable price".

They sent the material here, and I had this extracted in the US of A.
    Most of the oil went back to my benefactors on this project. What remains is what has made it to the shop :)

I know it's an expensive oil, but IF the material hadn't been gifted to me, the cost of this oil would have been even higher. We have some old collectors to thank for taking a risk with me.

I know it's an expensive oil, and it's a risk to take at this price level. I promise I'm not yanking anyone's chain.
    I also promise that you'll recognize the scent of Kyara immediately. This oil, if there ever were such a thing, is a safe bet. No shenanigans. Doesn't "smell like kyara" or "smell kynamic". It is Kyara.

Oh - and expect a full day of wear on skin ;)

12. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

I think I can also pitch in to say that that Blue Lotus oil is mythical - distilled by one of the legends of the distillation community named Jack Chaitman. If people don’t know about him I would highly recommend they look at his website (scentsofknowing.com). I believe that Tyson has used some in his anointing attar as well, plus I remember Taha mentioning it in glowing terms when I was at his place in Kuala Lumpur...hope Im not making a mistake in thinking it is the same oil in all cases.

I have to say, I really think I would have been too terrified to add anything to a Kyara oil, but I can imagine an extremely sure-footed perfumer doing so. Plus in the end it comes down to a certain philosophical approach, and everybody has their own...

Ouddict, ander.s and RisingPhoenix like this.
  13. RisingPhoenix

You are correct! It is a 2005 Blue Lotus distillation by Jack Chaitman.

There was another 2001 BL distillation he had made that I had had the opportunity to purchase awhile back, but I passed on it because I liked the 2005 better.

I understand the sentiment of “why oh why did he add it” - keeping in mind that there were originally TWO Kyara oils (one a pure Kyara scent, which sold out - and this the creative Kyara scent). Plus, if you get a chance to smell it...it’ll all make sense :)

The decision for combining was one of those serendipitous occasions...

I had happened to smell the 2005 Lotus while I was wearing a smidge of the Kyara, and BAM ! Wasn’t a difficult decision from there.

It’s important to remember that I come from a bit of a food and medicine angle. I think of distilling a bit like making tea (the similarities are quite akin to gong fu cha - fractioning like each wash, or combining the fractions for a complete Tea taste). My pure Ouds aren’t fractioned, btw - but the concept of pulling and combining the fractions is the same.

Making Attars I see like making Chinese Medicine formulas or food. Sometimes a sprinkle of salt or a dash of wine or vinegar can really make a dish pop. Dishes should have Umami. Folks who try my oils know that they don’t ever “taste” flat. This comes down to quality and technique.

In incense making we talk about “pure scents” - a “pure Sandalwood” or a “pure Agarwood” stick. Yet - that pure scent may contain musk or Ambergris, kaiko or borneol - not there to detract from the scent, but to enhance it. Shoyeido’s top shelf Kyara stick is a perfect example - it contains all 4 of the above mentioned, + charcoal and the binder. We all think of it as a pure Kyara stick. Is it? Does it matter?

Don’t take this as an insinuation to mean that I add something to every oil - That’s not at all what I’m saying, and if anything is ever added to one of the Pure Sandalwood or Oud oils, I mention it. Notice BK is the only oil I’ve mentioned so far having done this with - nor do I consider it an Attar.

All I’m talking about is a philosophy regarding how I want my oils to smell and perform. With Umami. With refinement. Like nothing else you’ve smelled before (try Oliang, for god’s Sake! ;) )

If I had never mentioned that a dash of 2005 Blue Lotus was in BK - likely no one would have ever guessed that it wasn’t just how it smelled on its own.

BK was 1 of 2 Kyara oils I made, and I had produced both of them differently. One “pure” (sold out), and one creative (BK). The Blue Lotus isn’t there to detract from the scent. Ask anyone who’s tried it ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  14. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Moderator Staff Member

I’ve never smelled blue lotus, so I can’t comment much on the subject. But I agree that adding a bit of another ingredient might enrich a scent profile, making it better, more hmm... articulated. I add a bit of stronger hindi/cambodi ouds to enrich the scent profile of thai Trat oud every now and then. Adding a tiny bit of quality sandalwood might change things too, modulating the scent to something more (hmmm... I lack the word to describe it), but yet more rich. Some things really don’t work well together, some create some entirely new things together, but some work in a synergistic way, boosting the desired effect. It’s a bit like with music.

15. RisingPhoenix

Agreed. Pretty much all the oils Gulf companies sell are blended or enhanced with something.

This oil was already incredible. Now it’s supercharged!

Imran S likes this.
  16. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

I can’t imagine adding something to kyara oil without feeling like I would be contaminating it, but that’s because I have never seen kyara oil I guess.

no doubt this is a lovely perfume and I guess (in a world in which kyara oil exists as more than a whiff or .1ml sample) it makes sense to use it as a material rather than a perfume in its own right. Sometimes raw materials are lacking in themselves and a little tad of something can really shift the scent in a favorable way and reveal something special. I’ve seen this with some ouds in my collection but always layering never contaminating the source.

I do understand those who think adding ANYthing to a kyara oil would be a mistake, but that is because I live with an utter “scarcity mentality” when it comes to oud, especially rare stuff and for me I see preservation of the raw material as being of utmost importance. I also am utterly interested in single source raw materials to learn from them and interpret other scents in light of the raw materials. I think it’s because of the proprietary nature of blends - they are more of an experience and less of an education.

I personally would be tempted by pure kyara oil (not that I could ever afford even a sample) for the educational value, but somehow the minute it is blended, it moves to an entirely different category. For what it is worth (essentially nothing since I
    am not a high roller): Hypothetically I would pay way more for a drop of distilled blue lotus and 99 drops of kyara than I would pay for 1 drop of lotus mixed with 99 drops of kyara. The former is educational, the latter is just pure pleasure I guess.

I’m not challenging Rising phoenix’s choice as that stems from their relationship with oud which is much more deep and complex than mine. I am interested if other consumer-ouddicts share my feelings about blends versus isolated naytural products of single origin. Heck, I see any agarwood blend (even a mix of two agarwoods) as less valuable than the same amount of these oils kept separate.

Maybe it’s a thermodynamic thing. So much energy is required to separate things, and so little is required to combine them. It just feels like going in the wrong direction (not RP’s blend - this stems from their abundant oud reality and clearly the right direction for RP). This is why I NEVER buy perfumes or mukhallats and have literally no interest in them other than to learn how to layer my own raw materials. This is a little crazy though because isn’t it ultimately all about pleasure??

17. RisingPhoenix

I hear ya, and seems to be a popular sentiment.

It’s why I made a point of mentioning that there were originally 2 oils. The “pure” sold out before it made it into the shop. This is the “creative”. Not unlike how some vendors make tiered oils (2 or 3 “grades” from the same wood / tree. It’s both education and fun.) This was originally intended to be a similar exercise - just so happens that plan was thwarted by the speed at which the first oil sold.

I would caution letting one’s Mind from getting in your way of one’s Enjoyment. ;)

I’m also curious to hear folk’s input. :)

Ouddict likes this.
  18. RisingPhoenix

PS - thanks @Mr.P for your thoughts and input.

Promise folks aren’t gonna hurt my feelings sharing their thoughts :) Just keep an open mind on what ya might be missing ;)

19. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

That’s great the first oil sold out so fast - doesn’t surprise me at all...

Ouddict and RisingPhoenix like this.
  20. RisingPhoenix

The irony is - I think folks like this second oil even better. Again - hard to understand without having smelled it.

Either way - it’s been a fun exercise :) :)

Ouddict and Imran S like this.

Promote Oud!