• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Baeiedo Kyara Kokoh +

language scent

Oud Beginner
So I just got 6 x 6.5inch sticks from japaninsence.com along with a bunch of other kyara sticks from Kunmeido Kyara Tenpyo, and Kyara enju from Seijudo.....Is it me or are the kyara notes covered with a bunch of other ingredients? I even did a low heat at around 120 on the heater instead of lighting the sticks.. Anyone know what %'s of Kyara is in the mixture?

language scent

Oud Beginner
It’s not you, they’re all blends IMO, and I’m pretty sure that the Incense Companies will not tell you how much Kyara is in their recipes.
i dont think there is more then 10% kyara in the mix. room temp and it doesn't smell anything like kyara or even agarwood. this is insane that they call it kyara at all. If kyara is the highest quality aloeswood in its purest form then how does a mix of spices and agarwood with minimal kyara in it get the name of kyara incense from such a giant company?

Well, put a pinch of kyara, and call it a kyara stick. Just like oud oils with kinam in their name, without any kinam inside😂

I guess when expectations are high, disappointments may follow.
With Japanese sticks, there is no ingredients list.
Personally I enjoy them as blends, and don’t expect them to be pure kyara sticks, and even pure kyara sticks may be a let-down, because combusted kyara is not as refined as heated kyara.

language scent

Oud Beginner
Well, put a pinch of kyara, and call it a kyara stick. Just like oud oils with kinam in their name, without any kinam inside😂

I guess when expectations are high, disappointments may follow.
With Japanese sticks, there is no ingredients list.
Personally I enjoy them as blends, and don’t expect them to be pure kyara sticks, and even pure kyara sticks may be a let-down, because combusted kyara is not as refined as heated kyara.
thats why i do not light them up. i heat them and if they are good enough i tincture and then evaporate, collect resin heat it...heavenly!

zeedubbya

True Ouddict
I think you have to be prepared for what the Japanese incense companies offer in the way of Kyara incense. If someone didn’t already prep me (thanks @BrandonGilbert and @Oudamberlove) I would have been super disappointed as well. Since I was prepared for the blast of spices and perfumey ingredients I was more able to “get” them.

With this in mind, I do think Kyara Kokoh is a great incense. Is it pure Kyara the whole ride? No. Does it have more whiffs of Kyara than most incenses and does it leave a Kyara scent behind after being burned—yes. Is it worth $35 a stick…..maybe/maybe not? Capturing, for a brief few moments, the highest level of fragrant wood on the planet? I still haven’t bought a box yet, but haven’t ruled it out for more stable financial times..

language scent

Oud Beginner
I think you have to be prepared for what the Japanese incense companies offer in the way of Kyara incense. If someone didn’t already prep me (thanks @BrandonGilbert and @Oudamberlove) I would have been super disappointed as well. Since I was prepared for the blast of spices and perfumey ingredients I was more able to “get” them.

With this in mind, I do think Kyara Kokoh is a great incense. Is it pure Kyara the whole ride? No. Does it have more whiffs of Kyara than most incenses and does it leave a Kyara scent behind after being burned—yes. Is it worth $35 a stick…..maybe/maybe not? Capturing, for a brief few moments, the highest level of fragrant wood on the planet? I still haven’t bought a box yet, but haven’t ruled it out for more stable financial times..
good agarwood and especially kyara is many times more beautiful in the air. For sure tho, everyone has different taste.

zeedubbya

True Ouddict
good agarwood and especially kyara is many times more beautiful in the air. For sure tho, everyone has different taste.
You are traveling down an extremely subjective path. Your experience is yours and yours alone, but please don’t forget Baieido has been at this since the 1300’s. One can spend a lifetime only studying Kyara and not learn everything there is to know about it. I gently encourage you to gain some additional experience with Kyara and come back to the incense. Don’t write it off so quickly.

language scent

Oud Beginner
You are traveling down an extremely subjective path. Your experience is yours and yours alone, but please don’t forget Baieido has been at this since the 1300’s. One can spend a lifetime only studying Kyara and not learn everything there is to know about it. I gently encourage you to gain some additional experience with Kyara and come back to the incense. Don’t write it off so quickly.
While I agree with you and totally respect Baieido, I have many types of kyara, from cultivated to mid to very expensive and for a really really good reason most of the superior is from japan. Now there is something about the depth of the aroma of the high quality ones and even the mids that is very bold and undeniable that is just not achieved with the kyara incense. I'm sorry but you can not take pure gold and compare it with a gold alloy that is labelled pure gold jewelry just because there is % of pure gold in it even if the alloy itself has a beautiful color.

Now, I can totally see if it was 80-90% kyara and there were secret ingredients added that complement the original scent and give it an extra edge or interesting twist, even then that would be wasting a natural relic so I get the low % in a way, but most of these are way overpowered by spices and herbs other than aloeswood. Could I learn to love it? Sure, I believe that after a long duration of exposure I may even come to love it as I am sure someone may come to love a sexual act with someone they do not love but do I want to spend more money and reach this point instead of joining some kyara auction instead? NOPE LOL

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Ive found i enjoy more the lowest tier Dr Incense agarwood sticks (they actually smell like agarwood) to any Japanese sticks I've ever smelled. I'm still trying to offload a box of baiedo I bought early on for 100 bucks that I NEVER burn bc to me it just smells like perfumed sticks with zero agarwood.

For the same price, you could buy from kyarazen, Dr. Incense, craft incense, or many others and get a higher percentage agarwood stick that more directly represents a regional agarwood signature. I've even been disappointed with some of the "off-label" Japanese incense manufacturers selling "single-origin" style sticks - the cost to quality ratio is puzzling to me.

I think there's totally value in learning to love something over time but at nosebleed prices, I don't think an initial response of disappointment is fair either. It's gotta be a balance.

language scent

Oud Beginner
Ive found i enjoy more the lowest tier Dr Incense agarwood sticks (they actually smell like agarwood) to any Japanese sticks I've ever smelled. I'm still trying to offload a box of baiedo I bought early on for 100 bucks that I NEVER burn bc to me it just smells like perfumed sticks with zero agarwood.

For the same price, you could buy from kyarazen, Dr. Incense, craft incense, or many others and get a higher percentage agarwood stick that more directly represents a regional agarwood signature. I've even been disappointed with some of the "off-label" Japanese incense manufacturers selling "single-origin" style sticks - the cost to quality ratio is puzzling to me.

I think there's totally value in learning to love something over time but at nosebleed prices, I don't think an initial response of disappointment is fair either. It's gotta be a balance.
Exactly!! incense sticks really do not make any sense. i paid like 230usd for 6 sticks that are like 2.75g and probably have like .2 low-medium grade kyara in them with that money high quality agarwood could have been bought and enjoyed much much more