Rai Munir

Musk Man
Sounds nice. Does it lean toward the gourmand, or is the rose and musk out front?
Rose and honey notes lead the rest. No gourmand at the moment. The honey note is the outcome of Saffron and Musk. Borneo has a light and soft shade in the beginning, but not strong at all. Later, Musk Rose nuance lasts longer.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
“. I didn't find any low standard woody buttery notes ”

I found this comment interesting. I often hear these same notes used in a positive sense when reading reviews of particular batches. I wonder how far off our various perceptions of what constitutes a good sandalwood are from each other? Now you’ve got me wanting to smell a bit of a sandalwood that matches your criteria for lacking low standard notes.

Are you thinking of the government steam distilled / rectified oil from KSDL or Cauvery and such? These used to be a source of the good stuff, correct?

Yes very interesting.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Sir, in another thread you used the word 'bland'. This is what I wanted to say. Such Sandal oils that are monotonous and BLAND do NOT suit Musk. Even they cannot be worn on a regular basis. In fact, I have no criterion other than the Sandalwood burnt in my home in my childhood. I have seen chunks in kilos. Oil enters my life quite late. Yardstick, for me, is that wood. Nostalgia. Tyson's Inkenyazi and Aluhalaza are perfect examples of my favourite Sandal. Agar Aura's Santal is quite famous as well, but I haven't tried that.

Sandal is always woody and creamy. But that woody creaminess is wrapped in a subtle lemony citrusy scent. Subtract that delicacy and lemony citrusy elements, the rest is humdrum and bland buttery woody oil.

Respected Farid once pointed out that steam distillation is more delicate and saandaleen. He was right. But it doesn't mean hydro distillation is inferior. Wood and distillation technique and the distiller's creative sensibility do matter.

Edit: 'NOT' is added in the sentence.

It might also be the case that due to the history of conflict between the two nations you were not receiving the best of mysore sandalwood and maybe some other sandalwoods sold off as mysore, which unfortunately has always been the case. This would surely affect your perception.

What many people do not realise is the worlds largest consumer of sandalwood is India itself, and it isn't for oils but for a chewing consumable called paan. They would buy sandalwood from all over the world including Australia and very recently they have found the Osiris from Africa whilst the smell isnt great, the taste works well with paan. My point here is, the adulteration was never an issue at the government companies that made sandalwood oil the adulteration was in the export of the wood and in the eating of paan. So maybe the paans were not always high quality mysore :D :D :D

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Ceylon Oud, Santal, Jasmine Sambac, Tibetan Musk Maceration: After Hindi, I found Ceylon Oud perfect for Musk.

PS: Has somebody tried Jasmine from Ensar Oud? If yes, is it an absolute or 'ruh'? Nothing is mentioned in the description, I think.

cau

Oud Fanatic
SP Reve Narcotique. A riff on vintage Opium by YSL. Leans feminine obviously, but still very nice and wearable.