Attar/Mukhallat of the Day/Night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by Ouddict, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Anwar

Anwar Oud Fanatic

AWI East Timor Roots Sandal distillation.

Tarik likes this.
  2. Tarik

Tarik Junior Member

Hi anwar
    What do you think about this sandal oil ?

3. Anwar

Anwar Oud Fanatic

Interesting, but don't love it. May be useful for certain mukhallats. I am intrigued by the damp, broken stem/branch note in the opening. To me it gets very buttery with a bit of spice. Once, I smelled a mint note, which I thought added to the other notes and made it more complete. Haven't smelled that again though. Pleasant.

His heartwood distillation was amazing though. Much louder (which doesn't, by itself, make it better), with a vanilla cream soda, perfectly spiced, elixir vibe. Effervescent, with this beautiful ginger note. Bubbly, strong, sweet. I want to drink something like that.

Actually, have you tried the Pepsi 1893 Ginger version. Like a stronger, sweeter version of that.

Rai Munir and Joe King like this.
  4. Tarik

Tarik Junior Member

Rai Munir likes this.
  5. Anwar

Anwar Oud Fanatic

Rai Munir and Tarik like this.
  6. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Amber Imperial III by Melifluence , the best so far, I feel this will definitely get better with age.

Shamrose and Sproaty like this.
  7. Shamrose

Shamrose Whats this Oud About?

Boozy oceanic vanilla bomb this one. Lasts weeks on clothing. Creative , Innovative attar maker. Love it :D

Joe King likes this.
  8. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Jasmine “florasol” from Peter Wilde. Freaking epic jasmine. Only grandiflorum I can really wear these days...

cau likes this.
  9. Anwar

Anwar Oud Fanatic

RPP Scottish White ambergris macerated in AWI East Timor sandal also on the arm. Spicy ginger and newborn baby. Close to the skin.

cau likes this.
  10. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Sandal Saffron Maceration: Mild Santal creaminess and gentle Saffron-y warmth. Relaxing into relaxing.

cau likes this.
  11. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

A sandal with top coppery note or top to toe woody note is to be avoided if musk is to be macerated, in my opinion.

Mr.P and Tarik like this.
  12. cau

cau Oud Fanatic

Revisiting my Sultan Pasha samples. Wearing Cuir de Russie; quite feminine, the blood orange provides a good aldehyde impression. No leather in the head or mid notes. I can't say I like this, but one never regrets wearing a Sultan Pasha.

Rai Munir likes this.
  13. Mr.P

Agreed. I do not like the smell of musk blended with strong woody sandalwood.

Tarik and Rai Munir like this.
  14. Anwar

Anwar Oud Fanatic

This again. Bergamot with depth.

Joe King likes this.
  15. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

(Concerning on of my Al Ghaliyah blends, which had a high-pitched, almost acidic vibe)
    I added 4 drops of Ulugbek’s Turkish Rose, and a touch more of Civet. It somehow did the trick, and knocked down the high-pitched vibe. I am really happy with the outcome.

Rai Munir likes this.
  16. Mr.P

I have a near empty bottle of Aussie plantation santalum album and I have some great news. That oil was kind of “turbo oxidized” sitting as a 3-drop residue in the bottom of a 5ml bottle for the last year. All I can say is WOW! Now this is an utterly different animal than when I first got it. This smells like classic old Indian sandalwood - it has that deep atlas cedar oily wood note, fuzzy warm sandalwood aroma, less of the awkward nutty and buttery top notes that must be the hallmark of young oils I guess. Smells like a much more expensive oil, I think(?)

I had no idea plantation oil had this much potential. I am gong to buy a larger bottle when I have the chance and just set it aside! I suspect it will still not be the greatest in the dry down stage of its development but we shall see!

Arsalan, Joe King and Rai Munir like this.
  17. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Sahm Sandal Oil by Habzoud: it hits the bull's eye even being a 'raw fresh' sandalwood scent.
    The moment I smelt the applicator, copper flashed in my mind. But, after a few minutes, its Mysore nature started swelling forward. Beauuuuutiful! Its aroma suits the word ELEGANT.

Caramelized or not, the scent profile is an enigma for me. Ceylon copper, Mysore copper, Mysore. No problem as the scent is outstanding.

It seems to be extremely fresh with a lot uneven edges. Aging is a must to enjoy sandal sobriety and gravity. If used as base for attar making, different intrinsic shades of the oil would play a vital role.

Impressive oil by Habz. Thumb up!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  18. cau

cau Oud Fanatic

SP Nankun Kodo.

Sproaty likes this.
  19. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

E.O. Tongan Musk

Rai Munir likes this.
  20. Mr.P

99E353A3-31BB-4181-9BD2-180528DE5A1E.jpeg Not an attar or mukhallat...

I put in a big chip bed of finely shredded alder chips. Scattered these around under a bamboo grove around one side of our house. It’s about 3 yards of chips scattered over there and whenever I walk around the property if the wind is blowing the right way I get this big waft of wood chips smell it reminds me of oud in some ways. There is this bright woody tang on top of all the fresh mulchy and leafy smells that these fresh wood chips bring with them. I specifically put this wood chip bed in to attract wild mushrooms. Literally its only purpose.

one funny thing - bamboo leaf mulch smells like borneol... whenever I rake the bamboo leaves up I am always reminded of Japanese incense.

Attached Files:

Rai Munir and riviera274 like this.

Promote Oud!