1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Attar/Mukhallat of the Day/Night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by Ouddict, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Ame Sombre (Sultan Pasha) - my take. Probably my most worn fragrance in the last 2.5+ years - love it.

2. I think it gets better with every wear. Incredible.

I just dumped out nearly 2ml of ame Sombre on to my tshirt. I was pumped to wear it again after this message. Now:(

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  3. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Oh no! That's very unfortunate. :(
    Not sure if it will work: If you have grain alcohol at hand and the oil is spread in a smaller area, just cut oiled area into smaller pieces and dunk those in the alcohol (say 10ml) and then filter it using an aluminium filter after few hours. Ame Sombre tincture!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  4. punmaster

punmaster Oud Fan

Genius idea :clapping:

Ashfaque and Proust Madeleine like this.
  5. soulfoud

soulfoud Whats this Oud About?

Wildfires are closing in on us and the air quality is utter crap today, so a heavy swipe of RPP SKA on one wrist and LMK Sandal Ambar on the other.

6. Love that RPP Attar, Soulfoud. Beautiful rose in it. JK really knows how to blend rose.

Oudamberlove and Taesik Yun like this.
  7. SydnorIII

SydnorIII Barn Bro

Howdy folks!

Wearing Areej's Cuir de Russie for a second time today. It's a really good one, but I haven't smelled Sultan's CdR as of yet either...

Anyone have input on Sultan's?

8. I find them very different in the a) the amount of powderiness (areej is much more powdery) b) the amount of birch tar used (areej has a lot more up front— Sultan uses Cade/Castoreum/Bitch Tar to make a smoky leather accord which starts out more subtle against the classic citrus/violet/floral opening and gets meaner and smoky/saltier when the ambergris hits). I like them both.

9. Taesik Yun

Taesik Yun True Ouddict Staff Member

EA Cohiban Coffee
    I get strong tobacco today. lovely.

10. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

Good news Sir Sproaty! :Cooler:

Attached Files:

11. soulfoud

soulfoud Whats this Oud About?

Tyson's Vajood w/ white ambergris. We're on our sixth day of "hazardous" air quality (rated worst in the world, actually) from wildfires. My small collection of oils have helped me maintain some semblance of sanity.

12. Ouds student

Ouds student Oud Fanatic

Marwan from Mellifuence perfumes, and it smelled alot like aged oud but was mellow to my nose, so I swiped a bit a oud Alamir by Masion Anthony Marmin..a very interesting layering experience, here again oud Alamir just seemed to get enhanced. I was able to smell a deep orange peel accord slightly bittery style.

13. Taesik Yun

EA Iris Chypre. :clapping::clapping::clapping:
    love this classic french style. :Inlove:

Proust Madeleine, Bryan-I and Mustafa like this.
  14. Mustafa

Mustafa Oud Fan

Just beautiful. I have to revisit. thanks for reminding Taesik

Proust Madeleine and Taesik Yun like this.
  15. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Just a quick impression / review of Fougere Noire (Sultan Pasha)

On my skin, Fougere Noire (FN) is greener and less herbaceous than Etude en Fougere (EF). It is also spicy, with hints of sweetness from heart onwards (peekaboo type). The somewhat spicy incense quality is less pronounced in higher temperature (above 20°C).

The oceanic smell here is more non-linear in the sense that it is more reactionary to the temperature than EF. In EF, it is cleaner and ‘more neutral’. Re the oceanic thingy, I also find some similarities with some quite rare Papuan, Sri Lankan and Filipino oud oils - all of which were sourced just off their coasts and nearby. Perhaps that is why it gives me an impression of deep and dark blue colour. It may sound silly, but speculate that it is partly because I saw Planet Earth and The Deep Blue documentary series countless times. Memory triggers are a funny thing!

I also get green tea, chamomile, clary sage, camphour (trace), elemi, something piney, soft jasmine, rose water, lavender, ambergris, and some resinous/ambery and vanillic ‘stuffs’ in the background that I have yet to identify. The ambergris in both compositions come across as very shiny with silvery flutter of pleasantness, devoid any animalic facets of this seafaring gold.

Fougere Noire is the earthy sibling of Etude en Fougere. But here, vetiver and oakmoss are smoother and sweeter. In case someone is wondering, the earthy note has very little to do with geosmine (mitti attar). FN gives off a cold and calming smell. I am having a hard time breaking it down, which is a fantastic thing for me.

16. Fantastic review Ashfaque. The last UK tour I did before Covid, Fougere Noire was my stage scent.

17. Bilal

Bilal Oud Fanatic

Great review brother! Personally I think this is one of the best in line from SPA, so good mA!

18. Wearing Ghaliyat Tareeq al Hareer. Second swipe from this bottle. I understand it and it is beautiful but I’m not sure Elixer’s denser style Attars are for me. I have 1.75ml(maybe 2ml) of this and 1ml of Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme that I may end up selling at a steep discount just to make sure that someone else can enjoy them. Maybe I’ll take another swipe before I do. The heart and drydown is quite lovely on both of them. My nose just doesn’t understand the opening complexities.

Oudamberlove and Taesik Yun like this.
  19. Taesik Yun

GTAH is a really difficult puzzle to solve to me as well. maybe my nose is not seasoned enough to pick up and appreciate fine nuances in it. :oops:

Oudamberlove likes this.
  20. Mustafa

Mustafa Oud Fan

Hi Brother, you are spot on with Ghaliya Tareeq al Hareer. This is a very complex composition. You definitely need a trained nose. This is a treat for those who have the nose for it. For me this is for very very special occations. However, some days I just crave the scent and I would open the bottle and take a sniff or two. This is a composition that will probably never be repeated. Most perfumers would not even dare to attempt it. I am grateful that Ahmed actually went ahead and did it.
    But ya I totally agree with dear Proust Madeleine and Taesik that it is not for everyone.

Promote Oud!