• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Attar Making Advice For A Beginner

Johnnyboy

Whats this Oud About?
Hey there, I am relatively new to the world of oud/attars/natural perfumery but I have been feeling really inspired recently and would like to venture into creating my own attars/mukhallats.

My current understanding is that all of the components in it should be as undiluted as possible to make the composition as powerful as it can be. I have been running into a few problems though.
  1. Would solid absolutes such as beeswax, oakmoss, vanilla tobacco etc be pre diluted in order to make them more viscous and pourable? or do you just try to dissolve the solids straight into the composition? If diluting, is alcohol/fco/sandalwood preferred?
2. What are some recommended dilution rates for animalics? specifically ambergris, castoreum, hyraceum and civet

3. Obviously when working in very small quantities, certain oils can completely overpower a composition. For example I have added jasmine absolute before and had it take over the entire mix. In these cases is it best to pre dilute the absolute with something like sandalwood? Obviously I can add more of the oils that were previously in the mix to even out the ratio but then I end up using alot of oils and potentially wasting a lot of $$$.

4. I am also wondering about how to go about constructing them in terms of order of ingredients/composition. Is it best to start with base notes and work my way up? Start with heart notes and build around that? Either or? Maybe its better to build accords and then add them in separately?

5. Do attars generally follow the same principles as making an edp with the only difference being no carrier? Or are them some particularities that need to be taken into account when making such a concentrated perfume?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. Let me know what you guys think~

Mr.P

Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist
You know it sounds like you need a general introduction to pefumery in addition to the mukhallat specific tips - while I don't have any definitive answers to your questions there have got to be some great books on this out there! Maybe not specifically on the mukhallat style attars though... Someone should write a book about that.

Al Shareef Oudh

Resident Artisan
I second Mr.P's recommendation you seem to learn the basics of fragrant materials and then the specifics of attar and mukhalat composition.

There certain things that are trade secrets but other than those happy to help specific questions.

You know it sounds like you need a general introduction to pefumery in addition to the mukhallat specific tips - while I don't have any definitive answers to your questions there have got to be some great books on this out there! Maybe not specifically on the mukhallat style attars though... Someone should write a book about that.

Johnnyboy

Whats this Oud About?

Okay thats probably a good idea. In the long run I am definitely more interested in making attars vs edp but maybe I should continue on the fundamentals before venturing off into that. Gotta walk before I run! I guess mostly what I was wondering about are the dilution techniques for making mukhalat (not sure if that is crossing over into asking for intellectual property though....:Unsure:). Ive found a few tips/resources by scouring forums like this and basenotes and finding a few youtube videos here and there, but in general theres not a lot of resources out there when it comes to making attars/mukhallat. Most natural perfume resources I have found are at lot less oriented on the staples that are used in attar/mukhallat (oud/sandalwood/animalics). Someone please write a book!!!