Josephdavid

Oud Fan
Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what some of the best aquatic or oceanic aromatic/attar that you can really kind of get that aquatic or ocean feel.
Was recently in one of the beauty stores with my wife and came across the fragrance section and was reintroduced to the designer aquatic edp’s and edt’s. Though I don’t really buy or wear synthetics much at this point I was intrigued by the smell and almost purchased a specific one for that profile. I resisted and thought I’d try to find a natural one instead.

So any ideas of some attar or aromatic that is comparable? I’m thinking more along the lines of oceanic. Not just a nuance of it to be oceanic, but the entire composition to be of a obvious oceanic nature.
I did not post this in the “natural aromatics wanted” section of the marketplace because I am asking more along the lines of research and information in order to eventually make a purchase.
Would love to have the smell of the ocean with me when I can’t actually be there, especially this time of year here on the US!

Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

Last edited:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what some of the best aquatic or oceanic aromatic/attar that you can really kind of get that aquatic or ocean feel.
Was recently in one of the beauty stores with my wife and came across the fragrance section and was reintroduced to the designer aquatic edp’s and edt’s. Though I don’t really buy or wear synthetics much at this point I was intrigued by the smell and almost purchased a specific one for that profile. I resisted and thought I’d try to find a natural one instead.

So any ideas of some attar or aromatic that is comparable? I’m thinking more along the lines of oceanic. Not just a nuance of it to be oceanic, but the entire composition to be of a obvious oceanic nature.
I did not post this in the “natural aromatics wanted” section of the marketplace because I am asking more along the lines of research and information in order to eventually make a purchase.
Would love to have the smell of the ocean with me when I can’t actually be there, especially this time of year here on the US!

Thanks ahead for any suggestions!
Probably not of help but I'll mention it anyway.
I got some old Tongan sandalwood from @Hamza H about two years ago and have macerated some white ambergris along side some Mongolian musk.
It's two years old now and gives off the most wonderful salty, ocean notes I have in any bottle.
It's different from Indian sandalwood in its scent profile. Still got the trade mark sandalwood creamy, vanilla, woody notes but more sea scents.
I post this as for you to consider making something that brings that scent closer to you
Your own creation.
Just a thought....😇

Josephdavid

Oud Fan
Not sure if t
Probably not of help but I'll mention it anyway.
I got some old Tongan sandalwood from @Hamza H about two years ago and have macerated some white ambergris along side some Mongolian musk.
It's two years old now and gives off the most wonderful salty, ocean notes I have in any bottle.
It's different from Indian sandalwood in its scent profile. Still got the trade mark sandalwood creamy, vanilla, woody notes but more sea scents.
I post this as for you to consider making something that brings that scent closer to you
Your own creation.
Just a thought....😇
Thank you for the idea,
I was also actually thinking along those lines of making something. Perhaps something with seaweed absolute, ambergris, and a certain Sri Lankan Oud (that is the Oud oil to me of all the ones I’ve smelled that has the most oceanic smell).
Actually, I’m not sure if Ingredients like those would even blend 🙂, or what to add or take away to make it work, but it’s the best I can think of with what I have seen available as far as materials with that profile, though I e never actually smelled the seaweed so I’m not 100% sure.
Would just like to capture that ocean in a bottle type of scent. I guess I can ask a family or freind back home to mail me a seashell and I can smell it as needed, but an oil seems far more exciting! 🙃

Adweeya Mufriha

Oud Mystic
It is worthy to be aware that a natural perfume will likely differ in the oceanic feeling from what you experienced in this shop as industrial perfumers use several synthetic molecules that do bring those notes convincingly (calone 51, cascalone, oceanole, azurone, etc.)

Beyond ambergris and seaweed absolute, one lead for your current quest coming directly from the sea that hasn't been mentioned yet is the muricid opercula (mollusk seashells) that have been used for millenia in sacred incense, perfume and traditional medicines. They are still used nowadays as rare ingredients, typically in some middle eastern Bakhoors.

To many, this opercula lid has the most potential of being the true mythological Onycha ingredient mentioned in the bible as a key constituent of some sacred incences, and in other ancient texts (though the point is not proven and is debated). No surprise though, that it is often marketed with the addition of that name nowadays for added effect, eg : Operculum onycha.

The dried lids of the seashell since ancient times have been widely used as a fixative in incense mixtures and perfumes in the Arabic peninsula, Ethiopia, India, Tibet, and Japan, etc, where they are prepared using different methods usually involving crushing and cooking in fat, thus slowly drawing out a kind of fragrant resin that resides in the shell into the fat, and getting rid of unwanted notes.

It is an ingredient I like and that you will find around without too much difficulty.

Seemingly, cuttlefish bone seems to have also been used for incense, perhaps something could be done with that too? But I have no first hand experience of that.

And just in passing, I remember a beautiful oceanic note in a Malaysian oud : Malay Cola circa 2017-18 (La Maison Khenata), that I used to discuss with brother Farid, who produced it. But it was only part of the profile, of course.

Good luck! Keep us posted of your explorations / experiments

Last edited:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Not sure if t

Thank you for the idea,
I was also actually thinking along those lines of making something. Perhaps something with seaweed absolute, ambergris, and a certain Sri Lankan Oud (that is the Oud oil to me of all the ones I’ve smelled that has the most oceanic smell).
Actually, I’m not sure if Ingredients like those would even blend 🙂, or what to add or take away to make it work, but it’s the best I can think of with what I have seen available as far as materials with that profile, though I e never actually smelled the seaweed so I’m not 100% sure.
Would just like to capture that ocean in a bottle type of scent. I guess I can ask a family or freind back home to mail me a seashell and I can smell it as needed, but an oil seems far more exciting! 🙃
Worth a little experiment perhaps.....I might myself....😏

Loudover

Oud Fanatic
Some sri lankan and Indonesian ouds have salty sea type smells. More like mossy rocks on a sea shore. Nakh choya is the Indian dry distillation of onyka shells - again that represents a fish and shell from sea. "Ocean feel"is a very lose terminology, meaning different things for different types of beaches and environments