Dean

Kinam King
Curious how this oil holds up considering it’s supposed to be minimum 50% kyara wood distillation....

Mr.P

oud<3er
Well it says “50% kinam species wood”. That is not the same as saying it is made from 50% kinam grade agarwood. I also am curious about the idea of “kinam species“ - is kinam from a single species that has been identified? Anyway, no doubt it will be one juicy agarwood oil. I have the original royal kinam and it is an interesting and vibrant oil that (I think) is Aquilaria sinensis? Would love to get a whiff of this one.

Last edited:

Dean

Kinam King
Your right, he further explains that within that 50% those trees were either forming kinam or already had developed it... so how exactly can you tell if kinam is forming on the tree?

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Vietnamese Kinam
Cambodi Kinam
Chinese Kinam
Brunei Kinam
Borneo Kinam

White Kinam
Black Kinam
Yellow Kinam

I think I must have forgotten many more.

Now, Royal Kinam! Of course, it must be the very best among the best. One of my friends acquired, wore and adored. It must be a very good oil.

A couple of years before, a thread had been started here about Kyra and Kinam. I started the thread after trying Kyra Ltd.

A single tree with Kinam is a new aspect. Hope those who have enough experience regarding heating Kinam, their comments will be beneficial. But a couple of years before, Kyara and Kinam oils had been only kinamic without Kinam.

Now two oils on the market have earned fame: JK and AA's.

Last edited:

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Curious how this oil holds up considering it’s supposed to be minimum 50% kyara wood distillation....

I have smelled both Royal Kinam and Royal Kinam v2 and Kyara LTD and Kyara LTD v2. I can't comment on the claims of the wood used - Ensar knows best about that and questions should be directed to him, but given the economics, I think even he would concede that these oils don't actually contain any significant amount of Kinam, if anything at all. However, what is clear, is that the oils are claimed to smell like Kinam/Kyara and this is probably an olfactory art that Chinese distillers have probably taken years to develop and perfect. Do they smell like Kinam/Kyara? I don't really know as I am not familiar with the scent of burning Kyara chips - I have a small chip at home, but never placed it on a heater. JK has kindly sent a ting sample of his Blue Kyara oil and I will get to compare the Kyara LTD with it and perhaps write up a review, bearing in mind that the Blue Kyara is a CO2 extraction, while the Kyara LTD is a distilled oil.

As far as the different versions of the Royal Kinam and Kyara LTD are concerned, I have compared both side by side and to me, there is not much difference, if any, between the Royal Kinam and Royal Kinam v2, but the Kyara LTD definitely was stronger and deeper than the Kyara LTD v2 - possibly due to the difference in age.

Dean

Kinam King
I have smelled both Royal Kinam and Royal Kinam v2 and Kyara LTD and Kyara LTD v2. I can't comment on the claims of the wood used - Ensar knows best about that and questions should be directed to him, but given the economics, I think even he would concede that these oils don't actually contain any significant amount of Kinam, if anything at all. However, what is clear, is that the oils are claimed to smell like Kinam/Kyara and this is probably an olfactory art that Chinese distillers have probably taken years to develop and perfect. Do they smell like Kinam/Kyara? I don't really know as I am not familiar with the scent of burning Kyara chips - I have a small chip at home, but never placed it on a heater. JK has kindly sent a ting sample of his Blue Kyara oil and I will get to compare the Kyara LTD with it and perhaps write up a review, bearing in mind that the Blue Kyara is a CO2 extraction, while the Kyara LTD is a distilled oil.

As far as the different versions of the Royal Kinam and Kyara LTD are concerned, I have compared both side by side and to me, there is not much difference, if any, between the Royal Kinam and Royal Kinam v2, but the Kyara LTD definitely was stronger and deeper than the Kyara LTD v2 - possibly due to the difference in age.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of Blue Kyara compared to these oils my friend haha

Imran S

Oud Fanatic

I have Royal Kinam 1.0 for comparison

4370ff01a7dbb2e58fe88956a8895644.jpg

Bigboy

True Ouddict
I just felt the need to chime in here and say that I have to wonder how much kyara ...or even kinam folks at home are actually heating (if your burning it you should have it taken away and your hand slapped ). Show of hands! How many people who have actually heated a decent sized sliver of green or black oil kyara and think ANY oil ever distilled with the name kyara or kinam ACTUALLY smells like that? I'm not saying it does not exist I've just never smelled one. And I hope I dont! I'll be broke! What I get from all the oils with said namesake is near the same I get from most Chinese oils : really piercing astringent almost Tabasco spice that drys down into a sort powdered version of the same.

I LOVE Kyara! love the smell when the slightest heat hits just that perfect spot where the the scent molecules burst into the air in deep waves of evenesscent whiffs of woody powdery the feeling of life being alive all around you aroma that leaves you entranced.

Back to sniffing my sweet b3k on one arm and some nice zbh hindi a la sasora jinko on the other. Funny I hate barn in hindi but love it in Cambodi. Guess I'm more of a fruit and feces kinda guy than a more natural combo like hay and feces :)

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
I can’t wait to hear what you think of Blue Kyara compared to these oils my friend haha

I am going to write a blog entry about this at some point in the next couple of months as I have sampled the Blue Kyara from JK. The Blue Kyara is a fantastic oil and the real deal as far as the materials used are concerned and I have asked JK to keep some aside for me so I can get hold of it at some point this year, but that does not detract from the genius of that Taiwanese distiller who made the Oriscent oils. Both oils are superb in their own right. The blog entry will review, compare and contrast JKs Blue Kyara, Oriscent Kyara LTD, Shoyeido Kyara chips and Shoyeido Translucent Path Kyara sticks.

Bigboy

True Ouddict
Would you mind giving a very brief synopsis of your most basic answer of whether any oil you have smelled actually matchs the shoyido kyara chips you heated? Even just a yes or no would be valuable feedback because it would run counter to my own experience and provoke me to further inquiry. To me all those oils smell like Chinese sinensis, perhaps higher grade, but still not close to kyara or kinam. To be fair, I also own translucent path , and to me they really bury the kyara note under a blanket of spices and smoke and that's the most expensive kyara incense I know of. I suppose my point is that combineing kyara with anything else let alone to "distill " it, which in and of itself when made of a single species of a single grade from a single region oul can come out so very different smelling from the actual wood from batch to batch let alone when combined with other species of alos. There is a STRONG inhibitory knee jerk reaction for me to using what is the rarest and most profoundly beautiful aromatic raw material in such a way....I think most of us when we go from heating standard or high grade woods to kyara we change to a clean mica plate and use several more mica plates or at least a thicker one SPECIFICALLY so we dont mix any aromas of lesser providence .....the whole idea is akin to throwing a gram of Japanese Named black oil kyara onto your mica plate with a gram of high grade meruake chips and maybe some hindi chips for good measure. While we are at it maybe we can throw some frankensese as well . :)

I want to be clear this is in no way an attack on useing the term kyara to discern higher teir oud oils from mid range oils, nor on injecting other precious aromatic elements to create a unique artistic compound of beauty. Rather it's my long winded way of saying how very difficult it is to recreate the precise smell of the wood from one distilleation to the next so it seems insane to me to mix pure kyara into any distilleation with anything else, but not because it's such sacrilege to the purists (that's a different conversation I think had been had) but because you run the risk of creating an oil that does not even smell like kyara. The prosecution rests your honor. Going to take some imodium for my verbal diarrhea .

Last edited:

BrandonGilbert

Not that Brandon
I have Royal kinam 2.0, White Kinam, Brunei Kinam, Kyara Ketone, Kyara de Kalbar, and AA Royal Chen Xiang. Plus some authentic Kyara(Green and black) chips that I have heated.

Each has kinam elements but none really smell identical to a kyara chip of low heat, but they have many similarities. The other thing to understand is that it is not always about the exact scent but more so about the overall qualitative experience and which aspect of the kyara spectrum the oil is focusing on. Kyara itself is not a fixed or fully defined thing, it’s more of a spectrum and qualitative experience.

Out of these oils I would say AA Royal Chen xiang is the most straight up kynam aroma and experience. All of the others have kinam elements through the lens of the region, China, Borneo, Sri Lanka, etc.

Lastly in my opinion aroma is secondary and qualitative experience is primary, ie how does it make me feel, what is the full experience, etc.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
i absolutely love royal kinam 2.0. in fact, from a subjective personal standpoint, i prefer it over nha trang and kyara ltd. having said that objectively speaking kyara ltd 2.0 is a superior oil and has more shapeshifting qualities than RK2. as far as nha trang ltd goes, it is to my nose the closest oil i have tried that comes close to the profile but more importantly the energy and emotions that kyara evokes, but the scent itself is quite narrow in profile and unitone start to finish. royal kinam is similar to hailam ltd, another top hainan wood distillation. while hailam is more green and focused profile, RK2 is broader and sweeter with more progressions and changes, just not as much as kyara ltd 2.

my 2 cents