Woodland Note

True Ouddict
I have a few grams of this molequle since a while. Interesting stuff. One of the two main components responsible for the scent of ambergris. Obtained by chemical synthesis from sclareol (extracted from clary sage). I would like to ask if anyone of you dear ouddicts have any experience with it? For me this fragrance behaves a bit like scent of violets, in tricky ways, it pops up and disappears. I know it’s there but at times I can smell it strongly, and some other times I almost smell nothing. Did you experience it as well?

Mr.P

oud<3er
Yes I have experimented with this. Capricious and violet like (in the sense of resisting being pinned down). Also behaves strangely when diluted - fragrance changes from candy like (crystals) to somewhat ambergris like when diluted.

I am no fan of aroma chemicals, but I actually like this stuff even on its own. If you don’t mind synthetics in your blends, this adds a nice sophisticated note reminiscent of ambergris and laundry detergent.

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
Well put Mr.P. That is exactly my experience with ambroxide too. Thank you for sharing! :Thumbsup:
I don’t mind synthetically produced molecules at all, as long as they are not harmful and they are pleasant. However I do mind most of the mainstream mass produced perfumes, colognes, deodorants. Most is not pleasant to my nose, and many are even irritating.

Josephdavid

Oud Fan
There’s a synthetic fragrance called molecule 02 by escentric molecules that, at least to me, smells very much like ambergris, to me smells like nothing but straight ambergris in its mid and drydown.
It’s a single note fragrance of just Ambroxan. The smell comes and goes, but it lasts forever on clothes.

I don’t use synthetics fragrance except for this one and their other fragrance called molecule 01, which is also a very nice single note woody/cedar type smell, good as a base for layering oils on if you want to change things up a bit.

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
Did you know that there is now a natural isolate ambroxide (chemical name for ambroxan, ambrox brands)? It is pricey but very nice to my nose. It’s produced via fermentation basically some kind of micro organisms manufacture it as part of their metabolism, and it can be purified from that. Same way we get acetone.

I am toying over whether I want to use it in some of my blends or not.

I’m not sure if this is a genetically modified organism or just something that was prospected for in nature. I know that there are organisms that decompose mammals that release ambroxide into the soil so it’s at least possible that this is not from a GMO. Not an issue for me personally, but I imagine some folks would have a hard time considering that to be natural.

I agree that this is so nice to layer with. Also makes cheap oud much more tolerable… something to do with those purchases I regret lol

Another good one if diluted way the heck down is laevo-muscone. This is literally the main aromatic compound (and specific isomer) found in authentic musk. When I think about trying to make classic perfumes, I think it would almost be crazy not to use it unless you were able to use actual musk.

At full strength is extremely soapy and doesn’t really smell like natural musk at all. diluted to 1% or less in alcohol it really does start to have that classic musk heart (obviously lacking all of the singing top note aspects of tinctures and other subtle nuances of actual musk). This is another one that used at just around the threshold of perception can make other things smell so much nicer.

It is also “hard to smell” for some. The first time I applied it neat my wife and daughter were both overwhelmed by the musky soapiness. I could barely smell it. Over the course of a week I gradually became more attuned until eventually I had that seem overwhelming soapy / musky reaction my family had.

Last edited:

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
There’s a synthetic fragrance called molecule 02 by escentric molecules that, at least to me, smells very much like ambergris, to me smells like nothing but straight ambergris in its mid and drydown.
It’s a single note fragrance of just Ambroxan. The smell comes and goes, but it lasts forever on clothes.

I don’t use synthetics fragrance except for this one and their other fragrance called molecule 01, which is also a very nice single note woody/cedar type smell, good as a base for layering oils on if you want to change things up a bit.

Molecule 01 is Iso E Super, IIRC

Oilperfumes

Oud Beginner
Did you know that there is now a natural isolate ambroxide (chemical name for ambroxan, ambrox brands)? It is pricey but very nice to my nose. It’s produced via fermentation basically some kind of micro organisms manufacture it as part of their metabolism, and it can be purified from that. Same way we get acetone.

I am toying over whether I want to use it in some of my blends or not.

I’m not sure if this is a genetically modified organism or just something that was prospected for in nature. I know that there are organisms that decompose mammals that release ambroxide into the soil so it’s at least possible that this is not from a GMO. Not an issue for me personally, but I imagine some folks would have a hard time considering that to be natural.

I agree that this is so nice to layer with. Also makes cheap oud much more tolerable… something to do with those purchases I regret lol

Another good one if diluted way the heck down is laevo-muscone. This is literally the main aromatic compound (and specific isomer) found in authentic musk. When I think about trying to make classic perfumes, I think it would almost be crazy not to use it unless you were able to use actual musk.

At full strength is extremely soapy and doesn’t really smell like natural musk at all. diluted to 1% or less in alcohol it really does start to have that classic musk heart (obviously lacking all of the singing top note aspects of tinctures and other subtle nuances of actual musk). This is another one that used at just around the threshold of perception can make other things smell so much nicer.

It is also “hard to smell” for some. The first time I applied it neat my wife and daughter were both overwhelmed by the musky soapiness. I could barely smell it. Over the course of a week I gradually became more attuned until eventually I had that seem overwhelming soapy / musky reaction my family had.
Mr P I am trying to get some ...from where did you order it ?

EJayB

True Ouddict
IMG_6483.png

No gmo in this process that seems to be the most widely used. Looks like something fun to make in the laboratory, might look into this for my personal educational purposes and it just looks like a fun experiment
Not natural! A synthetic

Last edited:

Oilperfumes

Oud Beginner
I am not sure about the epi pens since I use a IFRA banned oakmoss in my daily perfume..but in order to claim natural(in EU) , it needs a certificate . The material does have a US certificate...I checked.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I was just trying to be funny. Sorry for the confusion! it’s just interesting the difference in regulations in the United States versus other parts of the world.

Oilperfumes

Oud Beginner
The message kinda confused me :) .. anyway in the US the regulation is not very stringent . I know there is a lot of talk about natural molecules and what is considered one (forums) . Well , what passes for natural in US is not necessarily natural in EU. If a raw material starts from natural stock but the chemistry involved is not approved..then in Eu that material becomes synthetic . For example a natural molecule like hyaluronic acid is irradiated ,to kill all bacteria, then that HA is considered synthetic. (I am involved in cosmetics)

Oilperfumes

Oud Beginner
I am afraid that Ambrofix is not natural. I am still waiting for Ambroxan made by one last supplier (that has the US approval), If not I am moving to ambergris

Oilperfumes

Oud Beginner
Just updating , one ambroxan manufacturer has both Nat EU and Nat US certificates...so yes from a legal standpoint it is a natural products depending on the manufacturer.