wuwei4days

Just Arrived
Greetings, 1st post here -hope im posting this in the right place.- been lurking a while now, only in recent months signed up and giving the 'likes'. Appreciate everyone here and the wealth of knowledge shared. Immense grattitude!

So, I have returned recently from several days trekking here the south point of australia mainland (-a peninsula jutting into the bass strait) with a small bag of natural goodies to play around with.

I am hopeful that one of these goodies is indeed brown ambergris.

I have done the hot pin test to seeming success... fingernail can make an indent if pressed firm... the dry parts are sorta waxy, the wet parts, tacky-sticky...
its slowly drying out over these last few days, dropping in weight by maybe, 300-ish milligram each summer day here...
THe SMell?! sweaty socks, leather, tobacco equine/horse, definately beachy sandy sea but sweetening as its drying out...

everything ive read it seems to tick the boxes, however this piece looks a bit gnarlier than any image i can find... lots of cross section kinda areas displaying structure... most images i see are more rounded out and polished... just thinking this could have not spent so much time being polished out by the elements... but perhaps its just a stanky nectarine pit :Laugh: of course im hopeful... also thinking what else COULD it be??

*the last image you can see the pin burn mark on the left.
*the crystal ruby/amber bits are tree resin crumbs (my storage options were limited so shared the same bag...)
scale.JPG
wetside.JPG
underside.JPG
gnarl.JPG
burn.JPG

-much thanks in advance ouddicts! :raisedhands:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Greetings, 1st post here -hope im posting this in the right place.- been lurking a while now, only in recent months signed up and giving the 'likes'. Appreciate everyone here and the wealth of knowledge shared. Immense grattitude!

So, I have returned recently from several days trekking here the south point of australia mainland (-a peninsula jutting into the bass strait) with a small bag of natural goodies to play around with.

I am hopeful that one of these goodies is indeed brown ambergris.

I have done the hot pin test to seeming success... fingernail can make an indent if pressed firm... the dry parts are sorta waxy, the wet parts, tacky-sticky...
its slowly drying out over these last few days, dropping in weight by maybe, 300-ish milligram each summer day here...
THe SMell?! sweaty socks, leather, tobacco equine/horse, definately beachy sandy sea but sweetening as its drying out...

everything ive read it seems to tick the boxes, however this piece looks a bit gnarlier than any image i can find... lots of cross section kinda areas displaying structure... most images i see are more rounded out and polished... just thinking this could have not spent so much time being polished out by the elements... but perhaps its just a stanky nectarine pit :Laugh: of course im hopeful... also thinking what else COULD it be??

*the last image you can see the pin burn mark on the left.
*the crystal ruby/amber bits are tree resin crumbs (my storage options were limited so shared the same bag...)
View attachment 15526 View attachment 15527 View attachment 15528 View attachment 15529 View attachment 15530
-much thanks in advance ouddicts! :raisedhands:
My first thought is that it is not......unless very very fresh....in which case most likely would be blackish in colour for the most part...Any pieces I have usually have an almost layering look to it in cross section...Perhaps if you place some in a small amount of oil and post a picture of the result...may help...is it all like this or is the piece you are referring too in your post?

wuwei4days

Just Arrived
Thanks for your input DubOudh
I have only the one piece. -I get what you mean about the cross section layering... ive included a photo here that might lean more to illustrating that, where smooth.. but also, perhaps not(!).

yes, it is an odd thing and ive tried searching different images of palm oil and other animal part possibilities.. noting that it would likely be black if fresh, all the more peculiar.
i cant tear it apart really but i can scrape bit of it off...

was planning to use it, not sell, so might slice it for better idea of its inside construction

also a photo of 'it' in a 50 ml beaker... are you suggesting assing something like 25ml oil to see how it sits/sinks/floats/absorbs in it?

Attachments

• R1307851.JPG
    R1307851.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 121
  • R1307853.JPG
    R1307853.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 117

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Thanks for your input DubOudh
I have only the one piece. -I get what you mean about the cross section layering... ive included a photo here that might lean more to illustrating that, where smooth.. but also, perhaps not(!).

yes, it is an odd thing and ive tried searching different images of palm oil and other animal part possibilities.. noting that it would likely be black if fresh, all the more peculiar.
i cant tear it apart really but i can scrape bit of it off...

was planning to use it, not sell, so might slice it for better idea of its inside construction

also a photo of 'it' in a 50 ml beaker... are you suggesting assing something like 25ml oil to see how it sits/sinks/floats/absorbs in it?
Ambergris dissolves in Oil. It is used to macerate and improve longevity in an Oudh...so if it dissolves it may help to understand what it is you have in your possession...

wuwei4days

Just Arrived
OK; i was under the impression that ambergris would need to be mortar and pestled to powder before chance of dissolving much.. .and possibly with some heat added...

Reading your first reply again, i think follow better; Take some bits from this piece and give maceration a go with a sample piece.
Will scrape from the drier side of this mystery clump in daylight tomorrow. -thanks

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
OK; i was under the impression that ambergris would need to be mortar and pestled to powder before chance of dissolving much.. .and possibly with some heat added...

Reading your first reply again, i think follow better; Take some bits from this piece and give maceration a go with a sample piece.
Will scrape from the drier side of this mystery clump in daylight tomorrow. -thanks
You can ground it down...but equally I have put small pieces in Sandalwood and they still dissolve...