1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Ambergris Resinoid

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Jan 2, 2019.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Given that if may contain some bacteria and fungus and whatnot that's why id prefer to do a reduced tincture and then apply that to the tea leaves even spray it on the tea . There are lots of weird things in it that are not soluble that id want to remove , water just wont cut it in my opinion, im sure there are ways im not familiar with :D. The resinoid though I have consumed in chocolate and also I put it on a spoon and every time you take a bit you taste your food or tea or desert with the ambergris . Quite lovely with a vanilla sorbet . or a creme brulee .

2. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

I have a guy who get a couple grams every other month,says he add it to his food like seasoning:Unsure:.His first time purchasing I told him i would not recommend it but he seems to know what he doing.

3. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

I’d definitely want to go Tyson’s route if for some reason I felt the urge to eat it. The idea of eating it raw... there was an article I read recently about the pathology of ambergris formation in whales. I can’t really get past it. I don’t know whether it’s appropriate to share it here or if I should just keep it to myself. Don’t want to ruin it for everyone since this little bit of knowledge kind of took the wind out of my (ambergris) sails, as it were.

Woodland Note and tyson like this.
  4. Mr.P

In this case “seems to know what he is doing” equals “didn’t die of gastroenteritis since the last purchase”!

tyson and riviera274 like this.
  5. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

EXACTLY

tyson likes this.
  6. soulfoud

soulfoud Whats this Oud About?

Check out "Floating Gold: A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris" by Christopher Kemp. It includes a few anecdotes (historical and firsthand) on eating the stuff.

tyson and VPhong like this.
  7. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

That’s great! Thank you for sharing. Definitely opens up the use of ambergris to more than simply perfumery. I wonder if ambergris could be viewed and even used in the same way as truffles when it comes to adding something special to the world of food gastronomy. What are your thoughts on the difference between the white and black ambergris resinoid when used as food? Does the taste differ by much?

tyson likes this.
  8. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Moderator Staff Member

Well...

Well, not exactly a vomit... more like a poo...

But seriously I can see how it could be great for enhancing aroma of certain dishes, like eggs. When I sniffed ambroxide for the first time I immediately have thought it would be a good idea.

VPhong and tyson like this.
  9. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The last black fresh ambergris i had was lab tested at 28% fecal steriods so its got all the health benifits there to take internally . That 1000 year old ultra pure white ambergris was 99 percent Ambrein
    Ambrein is a triterpene alcohol that is the chief constituent of ambergris, a secretion from the digestive system of the sperm whale, and has been suggested as the possible active component producing the supposed aphrodisiac effects of ambergris

So are you going for a aphodisiac food effect or something for it health benifits , if the health benifits id ingest the fresh black , if making a special desert for a special someone to share id go with the white .
    Fresh black resinoid in virgin coconut oil over eggs would be an ideal way to ingest it

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    VPhong likes this.
  10. Mr.P

So the fecal steroids are thought to be healthful?

tyson likes this.
  11. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

]
    yes very much so especially with increasing testosterone in males and estrogen in females
    There was substantial rise in testosterone, estradiol, prolactin, insulin, cortisol, thyroxin (T4) levels and body weights after ambergis administration on male rats[9].Aphrodisiac activity Ambrein, a major constituent of ambergris has supportive activity on masculine sexual ability on rats. The copulatory studies were conducted by caging males with receptive females. After observation the copulatory behavior of treated male rats, ambrein formed repeated incidents of penile erection, a dose-dependent, strong and repetitive rise in intromissions and an amplified anogenital investigatory performance [10,11]. This study has been proven to increase sexual behavior in rats, which providing some support for its traditional aphrodisiac use.Anti-diabetic activityAmbrein reduces the blood glucose level of normal and moderately alloxan treated diabetic rats by enhancing glucose utilization. Ambrein did not reduce the hyperglycemia of glucose loaded rats in the presence of mannoheptulose but it reduced the hyperglycemia of glucose-loades rats in the absence of mannoheptulose [12].Analgesic and antinociceptive activity Ambrein have been shown to act as an analgesic by reducing thermal sensitivity or nociceptive sensitivity in rodents [13]. Indian Traditional Formulations and their usesThere are number of formulations which are traditionally used in Indian traditional system of medicine such as Habbe Ambar Momyai which is used as cardiotonic, nervine tonic, aphrodisiac and removes the weakness of noble organs; Habbe Nishat used as brain tonic, cardiotonic and is beneficial in sexual disability; Majoon Piyaz used as aphrodisiac and strengthens the kidneys; Habbe Jadwar used as aphrodisiac, strengthens the brain and in premature ejaculation [14,15]; Khamira Abresham Sheera Unnab Wala used in the treatment of tuberculosis, dry cough, debility, anxiety, palpitation and weakness of eyesight; Majoon Mumsik Muqavvi helps to treat impotency, sexual debility, premature ejaculation [16]; Khameera Abresham Hakim Arshad walais beneficial in Amraz Qalb (Cardiac Ailments), Khafqan (Palpitation), Malekholia (Melancholia) and Nazla (Catarrh) in summer. It is used as Muqavvi Jiger (Liver tonic), Muqavvi Qalb (Heart tonic), Muqavvi Dimagh (Brain tonic) and Muqavvi Aaza Raisa (Vital organ tonic); Khameera Gaozaban Ambari used as Muqavvi Hafiza (Memory enhancer) and is also beneficial in palpitation [17].

12. Mr.P

This is interesting. I see lists like this for every random herb in some of my old “herbals”. Seems like every weed is anodyne, febrifuge, aphrodesiac, emmenagogue, antipyretic, vermifuge, sudorific, etc.. I remember as a kid reading through these and trying to figure out which plants had any actual effect and which of the 500 traditional uses would actually be more than a rumor, trying to find the signal through all the noise of anecdotal and mythological stuff (which often includes valuable information of course). I quickly learned not to take the list itself too seriously while at the same time looking for repeated themes report or verified by multiple sources.

What stands out to you, of all its possible effects?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    tyson likes this.
  13. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Definetly an increase in hormone production related to male a and female testosterone and estrogen . Also a potent a aphrodisiac. I dunno about the others

14. Mr.P

Thanks - wonder if it has effects if vaporized? Little sprinkles on a subitism...

tyson likes this.
  15. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Im sure it would , one of the best incenses i ever made was sinking grade philipino agarwood dust soaked in ambergris resinoid and thed dried . Later i spread some of that dust on a flat plate and heated it up . O my it was divine . Definitely for those tender moments with a loved one !!

16. Mr.P

There was a shoyeido chipped mixture that (I am told) is based on ambergris scent. The Japanese version(I am told) actually had visible little white ambergris specks back in the day. I bought a box and it seems they may be using a substitute though it is clear it is supposed to smell like Ambergris.

tyson likes this.
  17. hedycent

hedycent True Ouddict

Best thread in ages, thanks all

tyson likes this.
  18. Mr.P

The shoyeido ambergris-themed chipped mixture is called shi-un or “fragrant cloud” and is about $90 for a box

tyson likes this.
  19. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Im sure id be a big fan of this shi-un incense ! Im going to check it out now thanks
    do you have a link to it i cant seem to find it

20. Mr.P

I feel that there is an emphasis on sweetness / vanilla / benzoin type notes, perhaps in reference to some of ambergris’ sweetness (?). The box I have is 10 years old at least... very nice quality agarwood chips make up 95%+ of the mixture. If I recall, the additional fragrance comes from little nuggets of blended incense (almost but not quite as if a stick were smashed up).

tyson likes this.

Promote Oud!