Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Tyson's ambergris resinoid is my first experience with ambergris. When I first got it, I was like "WTF - who would want to wear this?! It smells like my Grandmas closet + her halitosis, combined with low tide."

I've since fallen in love with the scent, finding that in mixing it with sandalwood, it instantly turns that sandalwood into a capital P Perfume.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'd be super grateful if someone who has actually blended this resinoid with sandalwood oil in the past wouldn't mind posting a video of how they mix these together. The little black glass jar it came in - I'm unsure if it is water tight, so I've held off on doing a "double boiler" heating because I'd be a little upset if it all went to waste. What I've been doing recently (which works really well actually) is lathering up my arm with sandalwood oil (EOC oil is fuego btw for a cheap oil if you guys haven't tried it yet). 10 ML for 20 bucks! And what I like about it in this case, is that it's not super strong or coppery. I like strong sandalwoods, but in this case, I prefer using this because it's a bit thinner and less robust - so the ambergris really shines. I'll use my finger nail to scape a little bit out of the jar, and while my arm is still wet with sandalwood, I'll just spread it in by rubbing it into my skin really hard.

Is there any advantage to actually blending these two together properly other than convenience? Will the two potentiate each other when blended? For those who have that little glass jar with their resinoid, do you think I can just fill the rest of it with sandalwood oil, close it real tight, then submerge it in boiling water for a few minutes, open it and stir with a nail or something? Or is that risky with this kind of bottle? The idea of moving it into a different container seems insane considering how sticky this stuff is.

tyson

Oud Alchemist
Glad to your your enjoying it ! What i do is just add your sandalwood oil to the glass container with the resinoid and then take a lighter and heat the bottom of the glass bottle , dont let it bubble thats too hot , just enough that you start seeing the resinoid dissolve then give it a shake and repeat , after a few mins it will fully dissolve .

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Dope - thanks. About how much Sandalwood would you say fits in that jar on top of the resinoid? I just want to have some idea of what my ratio is. My sense is that with the 1 gram of resinoid already in there, that the jar will probably hold about 2 grams of Sandalwood. Does that sounds about right to you?

tyson

Oud Alchemist
Dope - thanks. About how much Sandalwood would you say fits in that jar on top of the resinoid? I just want to have some idea of what my ratio is. My sense is that with the 1 gram of resinoid already in there, that the jar will probably hold about 2 grams of Sandalwood. Does that sounds about right to you?
sounds like a lovely mix !

Mr.P

oud<3er
I used the method Tyson describes. I had a small 2 ml bottle 1/2 filled with solid resinoid. I topped it off with sandalwood... maybe a 3:2 ratio (sandalwood:resinoid). I heated this with a lighter... gently as the lighter lets you get it moderately hot very quickly which is convenient, but you don’t want to scorch anything or shatter the glass. I placed the bottle on my subitism (set to very low voltage) and gently heated it this way as well. It was challenging to get the last few grains to melt, but I persisted. I see it starting to gel just a tad when the room is cold. Maybe not quite enough sandalwood. I don’t really know what the advantage is of this way of preparing it. Just seemed like something to try. I wanted it in liquid form, but not another tincture... sandalwood seemed like a logical solvent to me.