1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Ambergris Oil

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by marwan, Apr 7, 2020.

1. marwan

marwan Whats this Oud About?

Hi
    I purchased more than once the white ambergris oil which is soaked ambergris with sandalwood oil
    It did not smell ambergris or sandalwood, but it was very beautiful smell
    I noticed that the sandalwood oil was light in color, so I thought because of the mixing machine
    So I said I do this thing, and since I have a laboratory mixing device, it will speed up the ripening process
    I Put 2 gram white ambergris in 12 ml sandalwood oil
    I did the mixing, but instead of turning it into a light color, it becomes a darker color that is close to black
    Why did it not turn to a light color near white
    Do you think that perfumers put Ambrein instead of ambergris

Andrew Salkin likes this.
  2. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time! Staff Member

Yeah that sounds like bs to me - I have ambergris in sandalwood and its turned sticky and dark, not white.

Oudamberlove and Rai Munir like this.
  3. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

A nice thread, respected Marwan.

Well, I myself acquired enough white ambergris of a very good quality. I had in my mind the maceration won't turn dark or light dark, if it makes sense. But the result was opposite to my expectation.

I used both white and grey ambergris in separate jars, but the colour was the same.

So far as scent of white and grey ambergris go, there were differences. Let's see what would be the scent profile in sandal, but colour appears to be the same.

Oudamberlove likes this.
  4. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

My experience is different. I had some white ambergris a very high-quality that produced a pale yellow tincture. A lower quality light gray ambergris produced it kind of deep reddish brown color. The quality, age, and color of the ambergris makes a huge difference in the color of the tincture.

Oudamberlove and Rai Munir like this.
  5. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Well, did you macerate that Ambergris in sandal oil too?

6. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I never had a piece of totally white ambergris,
    my pieces were all in the lighter color categories,
    and each turned shades darker than it’s original
    color, both in sandalwood and alcohol.

I have a couple oils that I purchased a while back, both have synthetic ambergris notes, not sure if they contained ambrein or ambroxide, but they sure do not smell like natural ambergris.

7. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

In fact, I was not familiar with white ambergris before joining this forum. When I contacted the vendors, they told me only grey ambergris is liked here, and is considered superior to white ambergris. But this forum made me curious to try that as Tyson was the man who offered white ambergris and white ambergris based attars.

Keeping in view one of Tyson's attar, I thought the maceration won't turn dark, but it was not the reality. Of course, I concluded the Ambergris I used was either fake or was not white. Anyway, now through this thread, some definite learning will take place.

I shared my experience regarding maceration in Santal oil, not about tincture.

8. Mr.P

Yes - also quite pale in color. This was unusually fine ambergris though, at least in terms of how it smelled to me. I have zero doubt as to its authenticity. It lacked all of the halitosis notes of the gray and darker types of ambergris.

Rai Munir likes this.
  9. marwan

marwan Whats this Oud About?

I think whether white or gray will turn dark when we put it in sandalwood oil
    I think that the perfumers extract the Ambrein from the ambergris and put it in the sandalwood oil, and then it will not turn into dark.
    Do you agree with me?

10. Mr.P

It depends on the ambergris. Also the concentration. I would say golden yellow for very pale ambergris.

Rai Munir likes this.
  11. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

If possible, can a pic of raw ambergris be posted here? It will be very helpful if pics of tincture and maceration oil be posted here. Thanks

12. DubOudh

DubOudh Aster Oudh

I purchased this white very old ambergris recently. Beautiful salty/lite fecal scent strong from the box...from the western coast of Ireland is it sourced.

Attached Files:

13. DubOudh

DubOudh Aster Oudh

This is ambergris sourced from the Scottish coastline purchased from Hamza at The Attar Store.
    A lighter scent. Not fecal at all. Freshness yes...
    Small lumps I bought....crushed it into powder for maceration. Both produce dark colour in sandalwood oil.

Attached Files:

Promote Oud!