Aging Oils

Discussion in 'General' started by janturk47, Oct 14, 2018.

1. janturk47

janturk47 Whats this Oud About?

Hello folks!
    I have a question; can i store natural attar oils for years in regular 3ml bottle, where is plasticstick inside? I am a attarcollector and i like to aging some of my oils many years. Thank you.

2. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Recommended to decant into a high recovery vial and keep out of sunlight at room temp. I have had no issues with bottles over the years which have had a plastic dipstick.

3. janturk47

I will get back to this subject. To me is still unclear, why normal regular 3ml bottle where is plasticstick inside is is bad for long-term storage of oil?
    Does the oil leak from the bottle? This thing bothering my mind. Is there an effect on storage if you tap the mouth of the bottle? I have seen this done.
    Could someone explain to me? Thank you.

Woodland Note likes this.
  4. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

It's because of a fear of the materials inside the plastic absorbing into the oil and causing contamination or impurity. Personally it doesn't bother me, I can't imagine it would have much of an effect

Woodland Note and janturk47 like this.
  5. janturk47

Thank you

6. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan Staff Member

Not sure if plastic can contaminate oud oil, however, they say that some plastic can be penetrated by scent molecules. As it goes for chemical neutrality PTFE seams to be a not bad choice for the sealing and borosilicate glass for the rest of bottle/vial.

An interesting text I read recently on the wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume#Preserving_perfume

Sproaty, janturk47 and Joe King like this.

Promote Oud!