• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Agarwood powder help

Djohn

Oud Beginner
Ok so I managed to get a batch of Agarwood powder the cultivated type, natural inoculation.

Having a little issue getting it to burn consistently it self extinguishers every 5 mins or so on a 25 min stencil.

any advice from the experts on how to get a more consistent burn?

much appreciated!

hedycent

True Ouddict
Ok so I managed to get a batch of Agarwood powder the cultivated type, natural inoculation.

Having a little issue getting it to burn consistently it self extinguishers every 5 mins or so on a 25 min stencil.

any advice from the experts on how to get a more consistent burn?

much appreciated!
Hi Djohn,
Firstly the powder may be a little damp. If not then the next thing to consider is when agarwood is high in resin/ good quality, it will self extinguish. This is why in incense making, substances such as charcoal and makko powder are added. They are very low scent and aid burning.
All this leads to the reason agarwood chips are heated on another heat source. Trails tend to be blends .
All that said, it’s advisable to buy chips and powder them yourself if you want powder. Agarwood is relatively easy to powder unlike sandalwood. Agarwood powders are also very vulnerable to adulteration. Quality control is much easier when you can assess intact woods.

Djohn

Oud Beginner
Hi Djohn,
Firstly the powder may be a little damp. If not then the next thing to consider is when agarwood is high in resin/ good quality, it will self extinguish. This is why in incense making, substances such as charcoal and makko powder are added. They are very low scent and aid burning.
All this leads to the reason agarwood chips are heated on another heat source. Trails tend to be blends .
All that said, it’s advisable to buy chips and powder them yourself if you want powder. Agarwood is relatively easy to powder unlike sandalwood. Agarwood powders are also very vulnerable to adulteration. Quality control is much easier when you can assess intact woods.
Thanks so much for your advice, pretty sure it’s bone dry.. as it’s very fine powder yet free flowing.. it is their premium powder, and yes there are resin marks when burning.
Thanks for the advice on additives let me see if I can get my hands on makko powder.
Oh I happen to have the wood for this one as well and the smell is quite similar.
appreciate the advice!
Thanks!