Santal Claus

True Ouddict
I thought I'd start a thread on this since it is more or less distinct. Does anyone ever wonder what happens to all of that hydrosol after the precious essential oil is separated after distillation of agarwood? I've seen it here and there on the web offered for sale, and it is usually pretty cheap like most hydrosols tend to be (though there are exceptions for those distilled specifically for the resulting hydrosol and not the oil).

Using rose otto as a reference, the resulting rose water has a nice, mild rosy smell that dissipates rather quickly. It is very nice while it lasts and is refreshing to throw some chilled hydrosol on the face after a shower or on hot days. Sandalwood hydrosol as well. Has anyone purchased oud hydrosol for their personal use? How is the smell?

Santal Claus

True Ouddict
I have a sample- Hindi type - very strong aroma , not subtle at all. Quite a strong oud scent and performs similarly to dilute oil.
Fantastic. That is what I was hoping to hear. If the hydrosol is this pleasant, I have to wonder why it isn't offered for sale by our niche vendors? I know it comes with its own set of issues. I can imagine it is not very profitable as it is mostly just water, it is more voluminous and therefore costs more to ship, and it also must be refrigerated or it spoils.

@ The vendors, what happens to all of the agarwood hydrosol in your personal or commissioned distillations? Down the drain or poured out into the soil? I could imagine filling up a nice bath with distillate water and leaving smelling wonderful.

grandawood

Resident Artisan
Hi all

Agarwood Hydrosol is usually wasted away or sold locally

The main reason: cost

· It contains less than 1% of essential oil

· The freight is more expensive than the product itself (you are buying 99% water J )

· 18 months of shelf life

However, if you have an electric diffuser, you can use it nicely, you can diffuse your home with it

If you are in Australia, let me know as I have some ready

https://www.grandawood.com.au/produ...tillation-cultivated-oud-product-of-australia

Santal Claus

True Ouddict
Hi all

Agarwood Hydrosol is usually wasted away or sold locally

The main reason: cost

· It contains less than 1% of essential oil

· The freight is more expensive than the product itself (you are buying 99% water J )

· 18 months of shelf life

However, if you have an electric diffuser, you can use it nicely, you can diffuse your home with it

If you are in Australia, let me know as I have some ready

https://www.grandawood.com.au/produ...tillation-cultivated-oud-product-of-australia

Wonderful. Thank you for elucidating. I believe I read somewhere online that it may be recycled and used to soak other agarwood when the purity of a batch is not a concern for the distiller. I'm in the USA, or I'd stop by and grab it by the gallon to diffuse. Yes, it seems cost-prohibitive to ship something so heavy with so little agarwood smell to it. It is fantastic you offer it though.

grandawood

Resident Artisan
Hi Santal

It is not little agarwood smell when you put into an ultrasonic diffuser because after 10 seconds, with a 20cm distance from the cold steam to your nose, you will find joy immediately

Amber Bottles is $3.5
Shipping is $28 per half a kg or $40 per kg
As you can see, it will be very expensive hence only local deliveries (within Australia offer)

However, 0.5 litre of hydrosol (not a gallon haha, big lost, hence you find not many sellers or distillers offer it, no profit at all) plus something else would be fine to ship internationally as we offer flat rate of $28 to usa

Mi-Kei

Oud Beginner
I use the hydrosol and love. Diffusing is nice and I also use in salves and creams. You can request from certain vendors. Grandawood I see ur site and offerings. Would be great to know some of your process and what would make your oils warrant the price

grandawood

Resident Artisan
I use the hydrosol and love. Diffusing is nice and I also use in salves and creams. You can request from certain vendors. Grandawood I see ur site and offerings. Would be great to know some of your process and what would make your oils warrant the price

Hi Mi-Kei

" Would be great to know some of your process and what would make your oils warrant the price? "

Are you saying our price is expensive? :)).

Please note our price is in AUD (1 AUD = $0.77 USD).
Honestly, I don't know the answer. Our price may not be the best, but many customers are happy with the quality we provided. You can read the testimonials.

I am sure each of the vendors here is unique as Oud is rarely smelt the same.

As I mentioned, if you are close to the distillers, these hydrosols could be offered to you, FREE, just come and pick it up. The postage is more than the cost of producing it AND guess what? THE BOTTLE IS EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE than the Hydrosol, so most of the time, we fertilise our trees with it rather than selling them. We offered locally only as it would be very expensive to ship internationally. On top of that, customs are not friendly with liquid, especially over 200ml.
Have a great day

nuleaf

Just Arrived
Fantastic. That is what I was hoping to hear. If the hydrosol is this pleasant, I have to wonder why it isn't offered for sale by our niche vendors? I know it comes with its own set of issues. I can imagine it is not very profitable as it is mostly just water, it is more voluminous and therefore costs more to ship, and it also must be refrigerated or it spoils.

@ The vendors, what happens to all of the agarwood hydrosol in your personal or commissioned distillations? Down the drain or poured out into the soil? I could imagine filling up a nice bath with distillate water and leaving smelling wonderful.
I am into Oud Oil extraction and I export Hydrosols to Korea, China and Canada. The Hydrosol which is obtained by using our agarwood inoculant has medicinal properties. I have got it tested and found that it was destroying Solmenalla Thyphi, E-coli and other bacteria. I am planning to do some clinical trials.