50% Off All Stock For Ouddict Members Only

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

Don't give up on looking for another 1000 year old ambergris chunk to recreate whatever that blend was... Seems like the 1000 year old stuff is out there mixed in with the rest! Now all you have to do is carbon date all the samples you pickup (that is a joke - wonder what it costs to get a sampled dated, and how much material is required?)

Abstract
    Ambergris, which is a coprolith originating from the sperm whale, has been found only rarely, but for centuries, as jetsam on beaches all over the world. There are no reliable data indicating how long such samples may have remained at sea, with unsubstantiated accounts suggesting maybe decades. Here, we obtained over forty jetsam samples, many collected on known dates, from mostly known beach locations across the globe. Such an inventory of verified jetsam ambergris is unprecedented. Each sample was characterised by analytical methods such as gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS). We then determined the radiocarbon ages of some of the samples by well-described accelerator-MS techniques. Surprisingly, some samples of jetsam have remained in the environment for about a thousand years.

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Analysis-of-ambergris

2. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

My supplier has each piece tested although I don't think they usually do a carbon dating except in rare cases to verify ancient ambergris ages . Im not sure what he pays to have this done . I do hope another chunk of the ancient bone white ambergris does pop up this year , when I made the last bit into a tincture it was the most beautiful scent just on its own , I just wanted to spray myself with it all the time !!!

3. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

The difference between the old refined stuff (never smelled any with a verified age myself) seems dramatic. I have a tincture from an old white piece I got when I lived in the Bay area. It produced a very fine tincture that is just sublime in itself. The other ambergris specimens I have smelled always had this halitosis / bad breath note - even stuff said to be of highest quality. I haven't smelled enough to constitute a decent sample size - maybe only 6 - 8 specimens total.

tyson likes this.
  4. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

In my limited dabbling I have found sandalwood to dissolve and pick up the ambergris scent like nothing else. I was very surprised how much of the ground ambergris was actually taken up by the sandalwood oil - I was expecting much more sediment at the bottom of the sandalwood vial but (and this has me wondering if my memory is inaccurate) it seems like 80% or so of the volume of the powder fully dissolved, and only a small amount of residue is left on the bottom. Alcohol did not seem to dissolve it as well, which doesn't make sense to me.

One time I made the mistake of heating a tincture I was making. This dissolved the ambergris very well, but when the tincture cooled down all the ambrein (solid component) crystallized into these long needle-like crystals that turned the whole tincture into a semi-solid mush. It was a surprise.

5. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

1. Your observations are quite keep the more amberin percentage the more it like to crystalize when I make the resinoid . It seems to need a neucleas to start from any impurities on the plate is were the crystallization occurs and then sets off a chain reaction and before you know it the whole plate of resin has become a crystallization artwork. in this way it acts like honey were it crystalizes and then can be melted back to a liquid state . Alcohol does dissolve it very well but not if there is any water present in the mix then is solubility goes way down . I find most essential oils dissolve it very easily , but have really only tested a handful of oils that I find pleasing to mix it with . When I was working with the ancient white ambergris I thought I did something wrong because it was crystalizing right out of the pure iso alcohol , the really high percentage ambrein really wants to crystalize as it does not have the other constitutes to keep it from doing so. temps seem to affect it as well as the cold reduces its solubility in alcohol . In this way you could isolate the pure ambrein , although I don't see any reason for doing that I would find beneficial . Most of the ambergris that I have processes has been about 90 percent soluble in alcohol but there have been some that's 80 percent so your right on the mark with your estimate

Joe King likes this.

Promote Oud!