Your Definition/criteria Of A Legend Oil

Discussion in 'General' started by Edward Muller, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

So I have been seeing posts about Oud Meiteo (Agarwood Assam) and Green Papua (EO) being named legends. Both beautiful oils and I think they are not currently available officially from the vendors anymore.
    Now does Legend mean something that is beautiful and not readily available ? If not, what is your definition of a Legend oil and how do you decide it is worthy of the title ?

2. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

In my opinion the term legends are a bit overused, basically any sold out oud from EO becomes a legend in EO book and website.

For me real legends are oils like:

Agarwood Assam - Laos 95

AO – Ameen

No longer available, at unbeatable price with very unique profiles compare to any other ouds, in my book this are the real legends.

3. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Yes, respected Rasoul corrected me in this connection. Now I am careful about the usage of this term 'legend'.

peter4ptv, jalil and Ouddict like this.
  4. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

First point is Legends are obligatory sold out.

After the first point...its to your own choice to place a oil in the legend section.

Some oud like meitei are legend for all...others like green papua are legends for only a part of us.

For me if a big part of us (with legend members :D) classify an oil as legend...even if I dont like it...I agree

Edward Muller and peter4ptv like this.
  5. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

An oil that is held by the Majority of Ouddicts to be a superb oil should be termed a “Legend”.
    Because clearly, some oils are a lot better than others.

***It has to be judged by Ouddicts***

I guess every year we should run a “Legends Poll”

6. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

yes, oils chosen at ouddict “Legends Poll” can be the real legends.
    they will be chosen by the ouddicts for the ouddicts, not proclaimed legends by the vendors.
    I don't think that the vendor is the person to consider if his product is a legend or not.
    as far as I understand English "Legend" should be something a lot more than just a "sold out product"

7. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

no definite answer. just some spitballing here...

it seems to be a moving target. i am not sure for me personally the given oud that is being considered for being a legend needs to be sold out or not. in someways i see the legends as timeless oils and singularly unique oils.

i mean oud ahmad is no doubt a legend. purple kinam too. but also TWR. all so distinctly unique and beautiful. is my beloved B50k a legend in the same league as the other two mentioned oils? i dont think so, despite it being an awesome malinau and one i very much love.

legends also tend to really move the wearer. hindustan 1 moved me. rubaie moved me. ceen took a while but it moved me. shah jahan immediately moved me. yet relatively affordable and once readily available oils like green papua can also be a legend. i find them to behave like oils few times their price.

beauty is in the variety :)

Arsalan, jalil, Edward Muller and 3 others like this.
  8. sg1011

sg1011 Junior Member

I think the term legend is overused for sure. There are oils like Oud Ahmad, Nha Trang LTD, Hindustan No 1, etc that are legends based on their quality alone. Two of those are still available, but I still consider them legends. Not every oil that is released and sells out deserves the title of legend, imo. Furthermore, a lot of oils out there offer the same experience with slightly different nuances. Very few move you like a H1 or Nha Trang.

9. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

amen

sg1011 likes this.
  10. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

To any “one” person, a Legend can be any oil that they love.

Take for example last year’s oud of the year, to me it was Assam Organic Meghalaya, but the majority didn’t think so.

So for a Legend Status to have a broad appeal credibility, a poll should determine the Legend, because the noses at Ouddict have tested many oils, both main stream and artisanal:Geek::Geek:

11. Philip

Philip Whats this Oud About?

I think Curt said it all. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

jalil and tyson like this.
  12. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

I think a legend is simply that a legend a long past relic of an age long long ago a time when you could dig up a log of kynam that has been ripening under the earth for 500 years and then all 100 kilo's were distilled in a all gold still and aged for a hundred years. Thats a legend to me and the hight of what is possible .

13. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

literally.....;)

jalil and tyson like this.
  14. Fahad

Fahad Whats this Oud About?

lol Tyson..That's more a fairy tale than a legend ; )

jalil, Sproaty and tyson like this.
  15. Fahad

Fahad Whats this Oud About?

Legend as is currently used in the Oud market(ing) domain: An oil that's usually kind of but not quite off the markets that got much attention in it's hey day and the price of which may have trebled and is much lamented for being missed out on or not purchased enough of.

16. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

:thumbsup:

jalil likes this.

Promote Oud!