Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Recently i have seen photos of wood which is used to distill 2500$ oils and other wood used for oils which sell for over 750$ oils. I was very suprised as the wood shown IMO is of rather average quality with a resinated outter shell and pretty much white/yellow wood on the inside. Also many people get confused when pictures are shown of wood when infact its the shavings of the wood which are used for distillation. Out of a batch so big you would obviously show the best pieces as a vendor, It is hard and slightly unfair to judge raw material via pictures however you can get a slight feel for the wood from pictures. This kind of wood typically would sell for a few hundred dollars a kilo unless im mistaken some would say even less. A few members have verified this by asking few suppliers and doing some maths. I have seen some of the Woods Taha, Adam and Faizal have used for their oils and the wood is far superior to that pictured and the oils cheaper. It comes back to my point its not always about having high quality wood but there is alot more to it and its great if oils crafted from lower grade wood can smell better. It would be great if vendors could share information and pictures of any oils old and new so we can learn more about oil production and raw material selection. Below is a photo of wood used for a co-distillation if i was to sell this oil i would sell it at 350$ for 3g and believe me it smells artisinal.

received_1555829071191415.jpeg

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Recently i have seen photos of wood which is used to distill 2500$ oils and other wood used for oils which sell for over 750$ oils. I was very suprised as the wood shown IMO is of rather average quality with a resinated outter shell and pretty much white/yellow wood on the inside. Also many people get confused when pictures are shown of wood when infact its the shavings of the wood which are used for distillation. Out of a batch so big you would obviously show the best pieces as a vendor, It is hard and slightly unfair to judge raw material via pictures however you can get a slight feel for the wood from pictures. This kind of wood typically would sell for a few hundred dollars a kilo unless im mistaken some would say even less. A few members have verified this by asking few suppliers and doing some maths. I have seen some of the Woods Taha, Adam and Faizal have used for their oils and the wood is far superior to that pictured and the oils cheaper. It comes back to my point its not always about having high quality wood but there is alot more to it and its great if oils crafted from lower grade wood can smell better. It would be great if vendors could share information and pictures of any oils old and new so we can learn more about oil production and raw material selection. Below is a photo of wood used for a co-distillation if i was to sell this oil i would sell it at 350$ for 3g and believe me it smells artisinal.

View attachment 2981

Yes I recognise this.... a great oil indeed and the distiller is one who has cooked for well-known vendors and he is a genius at making oils.

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
So to touch on the subject above, below is an example of what the common oil grade wood is being used in Assam. @Abdullah has spent most of his time over the past couple of weeks checking out distilleries and looking at what goes on. When he bought the wood for our distillations almost all the guys have said take this to UAE and sell as burning grade, you will get good money.

IMG-20180402-WA0027.jpg

Oil from this wood can fetch roughly 200$/300$ (wholesale) per tola depending on yield and aroma.
IMG-20180402-WA0026.jpg

Burning or incense grade removed to leave white wood which will then get chipped and into the pots.

This is what our top grade distillation is currently being cooked from:
IMG-20180402-WA0028.jpg

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Below are some pictures of wood used to distill some oils by Taha, the more higher end offerings. You can see the quality of the wood and it isnt 25$ a kilo for sure! In fact it looks much much better than the wood Kruger posted which the 2500$ oil range are cooked from. I was personally suprised to see wood of such low quality used for such expensive oils.

Cambodian oil in the 900$ range
IMG-20180406-WA0022.jpg

Malaysian oil in the 900$ range
IMG-20180406-WA0023.jpg

The wood used to cook Ayu 445$ oil
IMG-20180406-WA0028.jpg

Krugers wood used to cook 2500$ oil
IMG-20180406-WA0051.jpg

IMG-20180406-WA0057.jpg

Its great how consumers have demanded the Oud scene to be more open and these pictures are a great educational resource to understand both wood and oils, oh and also how Oud pricing works for vendors for their various grades of oil. One thing i loved about Adam was his hands on approach, i used to watch all his videos atleast 3 times before buying! I think now vendors will all have this more intimate approach and its great for the Oud community.

Ouddict

So to touch on the subject above, below is an example of what the common oil grade wood is being used in Assam. @Abdullah has spent most of his time over the past couple of weeks checking out distilleries and looking at what goes on. When he bought the wood for our distillations almost all the guys have said take this to UAE and sell as burning grade, you will get good money.

View attachment 3044
Oil from this wood can fetch roughly 200$/300$ (wholesale) per tola depending on yield and aroma.
View attachment 3045
Burning or incense grade removed to leave white wood which will then get chipped and into the pots.

This is what our top grade distillation is currently being cooked from:
View attachment 3046

Taha saw the last photo of the high grade wood that Faizal posted and was very impressed...can’t wait to see the oils.

Last edited:

Ouddict

To be honest, the level of information that is now coming through about the Ouds sold on the online market is nothing short of astonishing. People should really appreciate the length to which vendors are now going to showcase their oils and the effort and materials used to make them. As @Habz786 said, Adam from Feel Oud was the trailblazer with this approach and really took things to a different level. It's great to see other vendors follow suit.

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
Heres @Abdullah overseeing the soaking and washing of the SS distillation wood. We should have 2 extremely high grade oils, one from copper and one from steel. We then have high grade nagaland which was distilled at the same place around 7 months ago and abdullah has also picked up some real beauties which we can hopefully offer at great prices.

Ouddict

Apologies for spamming the threads, but from previous experience, we have noticed that members do not take note of messages on the forum announcement, hence we have had to cover important threads.

Dear Forum Member,

We would like to notify you of this year's annual International Artisanal Agarwood Fayre, which will be held between 11am and 6pm in Woking, UK, this Saturday 14th April.

What is the International Artisanal Agarwood Fayre?
It is your chance to come and meet forum members as well as experience:

- The latest offerings from Imperial Oud, La Maison Khenata and Al Hashimi
- Private collections of Oud oils and agarwood
- Some of the rarest Oud oils and woods available
- Scent notes of different agarwood species and grades that will be burned at the Fayre
- Behind-the-scenes glimpse of the agarwood industry

Participating Vendors.
Imperial Oud
La Maison Khenata
Al Hashimi (products only, as Malik Al Khadra is unable to travel in time)

Free Oud Prizes!
Participating vendors have pledged samples to be given out as prizes during the Fayre!

No Entry Fee
Please Note that there is NO CHARGE for entry and if you are from the UK, this is a golden opportunity to seriously expand your experience and knowledge of Oud. We have confirmed attendees traveling from the USA and France, so if you are local, make the effort to come as the rewards are huge.

Location and Directions.
By Car: Woking is near Heathrow Airport and off Junction 10 on the M25.
By Train: There is a train service from London Waterloo Station that takes 25 minutes to reach Woking. The venue is 10 minutes walk from the station.

If you would like to attend, please notify Ouddict or Habz786 via PM to receive further details.

Yours Faithfully,
Ouddict and Habz786 on behalf of Ouddict Forum Management