Why Do Some Oud's Smell Like Petroleum Or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Agarwood Discussion' started by PersonelHigh, Sep 6, 2018.

1. is38

is38 Whats this Oud About?

I have some cheap Sylheti oud that I bought from Dhaka for $250/tola that has a dark diesel opening. But the diesel goes away after the first hour.

2. Elixir Attar

Elixir Attar Whats this Oud About?

Dear Sir

Sorry for my late reply and thanks for your trust in my work :)
    A very interesing and realistic real representation of petroleum was an oud i had used a long time ago called Oud Emerald- it is sold out it was from Ensar and it is definitely smells like benzine- or octane or petroluem- incredible.

As for the SMN nostalgia- i am honored to be working on it for you- i will be done with the samples then write here about naturals used with the gsoline type of smell.

This is one is a bit challenging as it has several synthetic notes - however- it is a very pleasant fragrance for formula one lovers- and making a natural attar of it is an amazing experience-

Smelling rubber- smoky fuel and woods
    Incredible :Cooler:

Regards

Edward Muller and Sproaty like this.
  3. Elixir Attar

Elixir Attar Whats this Oud About?

I absolutely love Oud Emerald

4. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

As I was sniffing my Pai Sia Kan last night, I noticed that if I focused my mind on the petrol aspects, that I could easily recognize them, but when I concentrated on relishing the yumminess of the other notes, then the beauty is all that I smelled.

Therefore I believe that our personal experience of an oil, depends on our ability to enjoy it.

The notes in oud that I don’t like are:
    Fresh-cut wood
    Ash
    Rot
    Garbage
    Wax
    Rancid oil
    Distillation still notes
    Indole

Allow me to elaborate on “indole”
    The umbrella term “Barn” covers a wide range of animalistic poopy and funk. Sometimes it is downright shitty. I guess I’d rather smell cow dung than human feces:Roflmao::Roflmao:

Qayyum Shaikh, powdernose and Sproaty like this.
  5. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

Ah yes I have a bottle of that in my collection still! Very petroleum and dark opening. The dry down is absolutely wonderful. Another one of those oils where I don’t see many of these days!

Looking forward to the finished product Ahmed!

Elixir Attar likes this.
  6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Yet obscure. Please name such oils to have a concrete idea:p.

powdernose likes this.
  7. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Dear Oudamberlove, if you mention some oil/s against each note, it will be a more comprehensive manual for us. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Joe King and powdernose like this.
  8. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

I wanted to say on one of your other posts but i was distracted by work that it is really a pleasure to read your reviews, the honesty in them is welcomed. Trust your nose, read less of the scent descriptions and focus on building your own understanding and olfactory references.

Don't be surprised if you read someone elses review of an oil and you think 'this oil doesn't smell anything like that', as @Oudamberlove mentioned some build a barrier between what they smell and the association that lights up in the brain, because they may consider that a particular association to be perceived negatively. A second person may not make that association at all in the first place because in their olfactory library they have other associations that they reference as more exact. This is a bit like the discussion we were having in the thread started by @Rasoul Salehi regarding barn, some people bundle a whole bunch of smells in the one word, others are able to break the smells down within the barn.

Don't trust anyone else's nose, work on your own nose and remember why you read effects your smelling :)

9. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

I have applied some Green Papua and was about to post it on OOTD but as I read this thread I realized the GP has a smell that could be seen as petrol/oil but as I linger longer and delve deeper I get the forresty/jungle green and a hint of earthy maroke and mint. So I agree with all of the above:Thumbsup:;):Alien::confused::p:rolleyes:

Rai Munir likes this.
  10. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Was that high octane?;)

Well, I will read the thread, and then the oil to post my humble stance.

Joe King likes this.
  11. Qayyum Shaikh

Qayyum Shaikh Just Arrived

Hats off to you sir bull`s eye always trust your instincts.

12. Mr.P

Mr.P Super Moderator Staff Member

I feel like I replied to this thread already but don't see my post.

My students always think oud smells like paint or pepper, vetiver to them smells like band-aids... all about associations.

One interesting thing I read - repeated exposure to certain odorants results in an improved ability to detect them. We will only realize our trillion-scent capacity if we train our nose through repeated exposure to a variety of volatile substances.

It may take a few dozen sniffs to be able to detect some of the notes that literally define the experience for someone else... no wonder two people can have such different reactions. Maybe those who love the barn scent have developed the ability to appreciate nuances that are literally lost on newbs. Here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23611883

This one is about "boar scent" no less (one of the molecules sometimes erroneously marketed as humans pheromone), so the musk, feces and barn of skanky ouds might follow this pattern!

13. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh Whats this Oud About?

All I see is either the option to edit or report?:)

14. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh Whats this Oud About?

Anyway my last thought on this (for now) is that I am amending gaseousness to "NEW CAR SMELL" Encapsulating the corinthian leather to the myriad complex automotive industrial components of new smells. Even the brand spanking new camphor-essness of a piney Christmas tree air freshener, swinging from the rear view mirror.

Attached Files:

Joe King likes this.
  15. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I am guilty of loving that tree shaped air freshener back in the 1960s. So much so, that I sought it out again in the 1980s:confused::confused:

PersonelHigh likes this.
  16. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

Give the admin a shout as the delete option should be there but may not be because of settings, which can be augmented.

PersonelHigh likes this.
  17. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

Hi... I’ll check your permissions. Everyone should have the ability to delete their posts.

Oudamberlove and PersonelHigh like this.
  18. Qayyum Shaikh

Qayyum Shaikh Just Arrived

I am facing the same problem.

19. Muhammed Patel

Muhammed Patel Whats this Oud About?

I get gasoline notes in the green Indonesian oils for some reason. I actually like those notes so no complaints from me :Roflmao:

What I do hate are the straight to death fecal barny notes from the generic ASAQ/Ajmal "Cambodi" Hindi" oils...even some of the more "premium" ones. Don't get me wrong I love a tastefully done barn, but some of those are just plain linear crap.

Ashfaque, Joe King and Rai Munir like this.
  20. Muhammed Patel

Muhammed Patel Whats this Oud About?

I get a "new car leather posh" note from IO Hainan Imperiale that I am in love with.

PersonelHigh and powdernose like this.

Promote Oud!