Whats your favorite oud region/profile? Poll

Discussion in 'General' started by Habz786, Sep 22, 2016.

?

Whats your favorite oud region/profile? Poll

1. Cambodian

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Hindi

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Malaysian

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Thai

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Burmese

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Chinese

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Vietnamese

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  8. Laotian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Indonesian

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Philipines

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Papua/new guinea

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  12. Sri Lankan

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  13. Brunei

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  14. Borneo

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  15. Bhutan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I like to admit that I love the stories of all the distillers/vendors/artisans. I am interested in hearing what they have to say. I feel they are expressing themselves, and I value that. I like hearing about the Oud, and not just smelling it, any other data about the Oud is appreciated also, like what it took to make it, from sourcing to distilling, etc. (ooops, my ouddict is showing)

But I really dont care for the less personal seller approach like with ASAQ. Sakura trees??

For that genre, I'd rather read Ajmal's descriptions, at least they're more poetic. For example:

"For years, mankind has looked up to the stars and constellations for guidance. Inspired by these heavenly bodies, Dahn Al Oudh Nayyir is an eclectic mix of the purest Indian and Cambodi Oudh - a rare star the world looks up to.Ensconced in a hand-crafted crystal falcon, the thick, dark, caramel-hued oil emits an earthy scent that mesmerizes the senses and inspires an olfactory journey of luxury."

2. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Have you smelt Dehn Al Oudh Nayyir its great!

3. Bengal Roots

Bengal Roots Resident Artisan

We Missed BHUTAN on the list to vote...

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  4. Taherg

Taherg Junior Member

Well it doesnt get better than Rasasi, have a look at their blog which is pretty much as bad as plagiarism gets. see the bottom

http://www.rasasi.com/blog

5. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Look harder :p

6. Bengal Roots

Bengal Roots Resident Artisan

When I saw earlier it said OTHERS 🤔😶😬

7. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Worked my magic ;)

8. bhanny

bhanny Guest

I do too Oudamberlove. It makes the whole experience that much better for me.

9. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

I was told my oud journey would end with Hindis the poll looks like its reflecting this, Hindis bring such a complex scent profile if done right and i do love a good hindi. My favorite hindi is Oud Isa :cool:

10. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Due to the migration the poll has been wiped clear, could everyone please vote again for their favorite profile

Thanks

11. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

Hindis, Cambodians and Chinese but I can allow myself to put some nice Malaysians on my forearm...

12. Gaianmind

Gaianmind Just Arrived

Marokes all the way!! So much so that I have been cleaning out my oud collection and seeking out any Marokes I can get my hands on lol!

I do have a question though. I see Paupua and Maroke used interchangeably very often and from my limited experience I find them quite different. I love Maroke LTD...love it! But I do not care for Green Papua.
    Is this just simply I'm an Aquilaria Filaria lover and to steer clear of gyrinops oils? I guess what I'm asking is What makes a Maroke a Maroke and what makes a Papua a Papua?

13. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

My guess will be it depends on the distillation and some other factors not known to me.

My Mamberamo – North Papua Gyrinops is aging nicely and the profile is much closer to the nice dark Maroke, than to the green Papua.

Good question, i will like also if someone can explained better the Papuan oils

Gaianmind and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  14. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Nice, Hindi's are still number one, going strong same as the previous pool.

15. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Hindis going strong but there are many members yet to vote so we get a better understanding please all vote!

16. Gaianmind

Gaianmind Just Arrived

Thanks for chiming in Peter. The note I don't care for in Green Papua and AA Jumanten is a crisp almost chlorophyll like greeness. Hits me high in my nasal passage almost leading to a dull headache. Blind bought a full bottle of Green Papua only to wear it once. Now it just sits in my safe collecting dust lol. So is the life of an ouddict I guess. I even have a hard time wearing EO Sultan Murad now, at one time it was my favorite oil!

17. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

I would say you probably do prefer the filaria profile, although you can find gyrinops in the southern region of Papua too (Maruake). Also quite a lot of the wood cooked down there is from swamp wood which has been unearthed therefore infusing a deep muddy note to the oil.
    The oil Peter is talking about is from northern Papua so probably not to your liking. However all that may change if you try Sri Lankan gyrinops...

18. Kesiro

Kesiro Oudmeister

Cambodian is my first choice, followed by Vietnamese and Indian. Something about Cambodian Oud for me is universally appealing.

19. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Was the oil green ?

20. 5MeO

5MeO Junior Member

I voted Papuan/New Guinea/Maroke..
    --

I am surprised though that there are no votes for Malaysian! These are I think the most opulent, "royal" smelling ouds:

Oud Ahmad
    Oud Sultani
    Purple Kinam
    Kannan Koh
    Berkilau
    Sabah Hijau
    Super Global KL Oud
    Pencerahan,
    Sutera Ungu
    Sutera Terranganu
    Manaka Jinkoh
    Kemewahan