Whats your favorite oud region/profile? Poll

Discussion in 'General' started by Habz786, Sep 22, 2016.

?

Whats your favorite oud region/profile? Poll

1. Cambodian

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Hindi

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Malaysian

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Thai

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Burmese

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Chinese

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Vietnamese

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  8. Laotian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Indonesian

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Philipines

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Papua/new guinea

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  12. Sri Lankan

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  13. Brunei

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  14. Borneo

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  15. Bhutan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

For our first poll on ouddict i thought this would be pretty interesting. Whats our overall favorite region/profile? I appreciate some regions haven't been explored enough or a low variety of oils released by vendors but the poll is for overall preference. Place your vote guys! if I've missed anything do let me know :)

2. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek Staff Member

Nice idea I choosed Hindi and my second choice Laos classic one because remember me of high quality Indian ouds 😎

3. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

First to vote papua :)

4. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

for sure Hindi all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

5. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Mandeel, I really need some good. Laos oil in my collection don't have any and I think I will like them since hindis are my favorites.

but have heard many horror stories about what is currently available from Laos.

i thing agar aura did have a good one that just sold out but was way to expensive for something I never try before.

i just got this one very cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Laos-Oudh-Dark-Mai-Ketsana-Agarwood-Oudh-Oil-Finest-Dark-Laos-Beauty-/301295056632?hash=item462695b6f8:g:LBQAAOSwEK9T~wov

It comes on ebay and is from Singapore "already scared" but it is only 50 $ so not a big lost if goes to the garbage.

the seller has a good reputation on ebay selling oud products but ask before on BN about this seller and no response so lest see what the lottery will give me this time.

6. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Anyhow I prefer to try out something for 50$ and throw it in the garbage, than buying Sultan series for 790$ and then finding the same for 60$

7. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek Staff Member

Good afternoon peter this oil I get it from along time and I'm sure you will love it.

really special classic Hindi I will try to find the source and let you know thanks

8. Taherg

Taherg Junior Member

peter4ptv Please let me know where you can find 790$ Sultan series oils for $60, I would love to try them and compare. It is the one region I had hoped to build a collection to match my hindis so perhaps this is my golden opportunity.

9. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

It was from seller on ebay from Bangka island who told me that there is many wild trees on the island and he use to do himself from time to time small distillations and while back was selling some oil from this distillations I try to find him recently but no luck need to try to find if somewhere on my ebay account still have his info.

10. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Cambodian is my favorite profile but i do love a good Borneo, hindi and the rest not too big on Papua oils

11. Taherg

Taherg Junior Member

I have tried oil from that guy in Banka, I am sorry but it smells absolutely nothing like the Sultan oils. That was one of the rubbish Indonesian oils I referred to in my last post. I have ordered blind from a few resident distillers in malaysia and indonesia in hopes to find something of quality. After a few attempts in my early days of Oud buying...I realised what a waste of time that was.

12. 5MeO

5MeO Junior Member

Very difficult question! Would pick either

Malaysian (Purple Kinam, Berkilau, Oud Sultani, Kannan Koh, Kemewahan, Sabah Hijau, Al Shareef II, etc)

or Papua/New Guinea (Ma Maroke, Kyara Sayang, Marokesh, Maroke 2004, Maroke LTD, Oud Emerald, Archipelago 2008, etc).

13. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

There are so many good oils from different regions out there. First of all, thank you distillers for your efforts in making these wonderful oils, our modern day Oud collections are super.

That's why this poll can't show the big picture. I picked Cambodian, but Hindi is right up there along side of it, as well as Vietnamese, then some Gyrinops and Malaccensis. What a tough poll.

14. 5MeO

5MeO Junior Member

Yes, it's like the top 5 favorite oud thread - so difficult to pick because each region and indeed each have their own unique delightfulness..

15. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

16. Taherg

Taherg Junior Member

peter4ptv Well I personally have not smelled Sultan Afnan but I have a whole bunch of others and have sampled even more than I own. The way you wear expensive Ouds is not very similar to the way I do, if I put on a 790$ oil I am not looking to wear it like a cologne, even though the aura from the sultan oils is simply unmatched in my humble opinion. These oils are meant to be savoured in all their aspects, I wear mine on the forearm and spend the whole day exploring the secrets it has to offer. I have lots of cheaper oils that I swipe crudely and carelessly whereever to wonder in their cloud of raw oudy joy. I do not even get a fraction of that enjoyment from the rubbish oils which contain who knows what...thats why they are lying somewhere in my closet alone and forgotten.

We must make a clear distinction between the truthfulness of descriptions and price tag. You may disagree with price based on your personal and probably shortsighted perception of its true worth... but that does not mean there is any misrepresentation of the truth of what went into making the oils. I strongly believe that Ensar, along with FO, AA and Al Shareef are trustworthy in their business as they have a spiritual more so than a worldly dependency on their truthfulness and integrity....for me that is like spiritual insurance which really puts me at ease buying from them.

At the end, they have the right to charge what they believe the oils are worth...no one is being forced to buy from them. I get what you are saying, but it also works both ways...if you were to ask me about Tigerwood from EO I would have said that the scent alone is worth WAY more than what he is charging for it and I attach a great deal more personal value to the oil than $295....he certainly could have charged a lot more and whoever bought the oil can testify that they would not have had a whimper of a complaint, I would say the same with Raksmey, Sokh Khmer etc..

They have all taken great pains to offer oils that fits everyones budget...do I wish I could get Sultan oils for 200$, sure....do I love them enough to pay more...my collection would suggest so.. :)

Finally, I do not know about Ensar, but I would personally be quite ticked-off if someone bought my merchandise which took blood, sweat and tears and months away from family to make...then it gets cherry-picked and resold for 2-3x the price on ebay by some re-seller without any complaints. Who knows how many people buy oils knowing that when its sold out they can sell and make a profit from it...and God knows best

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  17. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Anyone can charge whatever they like, and any one can pay whatever they like, and anyone can wear their oils whatever they like, and anyone cab believe whatever they like…………………….

Taherg, that was exactly my point.

If you have monitor ebay there is nothing from Ensar selling for 2-3x the price on ebay, as for the last year I have been monitoring it and most oils from Ensar if sold is for less than the original price (few exceptions sold with few dollars more like maybe 10-15% premium) few month ago Borneo zen was sold brand new for 220$ much lesser than the 350$ it is for sale on Ensar site. There is not any evidence for oils that cost less than 1000$ from Ensar being sold for many thousands of dollars, this is something you can only read on his Blog about it.

18. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Also whatever smells like sultanul of oil to somebody can smell like rubbish oil to another person and also the other way around.

I remember a while back “litlecrowgirl†made a good comment about this (that she is so amazed with the oils that they can smell so different to any person) and I remember it because it was an oil that I describe it something like (too bad the Nazi police from BN is not giving us to use even as a reference the good old oud forum as even a read only options very valuable info on oud has been lost) antiquity book smell and old chest smell, than somebody did purchase the oil base on my description and it was very upset because the oil smelled to him like a nasty wet cardboard. Since then I am trying not to describe what I smell in oils so much with different notes of description, pretty much trying to stay only with what oils I like and what I don’t without giving so much of a detailed description to them because what smells to me like Cherry it may smell to somebody like plums.

19. Taherg

Taherg Junior Member

Oh..maybe I misunderstood but I did not get that overall message from your post. I got the impression that some vendors were being accused of false advertisement, misleading customers and 'unfair' pricing. Moreover, that the oils they offer at higher prices are almost on par or even equal in quality and beauty with oils that can be sourced for $50 or $100. My post was merely in disagreement on those points while still appreciating where you are coming from. I used to struggle with the idea of paying such prices for oils which (back then) I could not really appreciate the complexities they have compared to cheaper oils.

I am not saying I am some kind of olfactory pro, I still make mistakes and sometimes have a tough time distinguishing quality with certain oils...but I am learning...and as I continue to learn my appreciation of the oils I own only gets stronger. I know enough to know that I can't get this type of quality or enjoyment with 50$ or 100$ so while I am able, I am willing to invest in what I believe will have long term value for me personally.

20. Taherg

Taherg Junior Member

Yes I agree with you on this, thats why for me it is much more important that the vendor is truthful with FACTUAL information about the oil, this is not a matter of opinion and incorrect representation of facts should be grounds for a refund (as has already been discussed before). However for subjective experiences of smell....I would not rely on my own descriptions of an oil because I do not feel I have a diverse enough verbal inventory of olfactory descriptions/comparisons to accurately represent what I believe I am smelling. However I have found the descriptions of the above mentioned vendors very helpful and for the most part quite accurate.

(With the exception of Kinam/Kyara which I have not experienced through burning yet so only imagine which notes are reminiscent of the kyara experience)

Promote Oud!