What Is The Best Way To Store Wood Chips?

Discussion in 'Oud Wood' started by Woodland Note, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

... and how you are storing your raw agarwood and sandalwood chips?

There has been lots of discussion about storing oils. However, unless I overlooked it, not much about storing raw wood.

I read somewhere that someone was using a freezer/refrigerator as a storage for his big chunk of sandalwood. o_O

What are the best storage conditions? And for how long precious oils can be preserved in a raw piece of wood. What has an impact on how well/intact are oils in a wood chip? Temperature? The size of chips? Humidity?
    What do you think about an idea of storing it in a vacuum container?

Please share your thoughts.

2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

One would think that storing wood in a sealed glass jar or vacuum container, then store in a cool dry place would suffice. Maybe in a Paulownia box also. However, since I recently went through all my chips, I believe that some of them experienced degradation of scent. I don’t know if it is the type of region, or if it is the age of the chip when harvested (oil to resin ratio), or even if it was plantation versus wild. If certain chips won’t age well, then they should be used sooner and not stored for very long. I had a couple of batches of Borneo chips that lost some aroma, but my findings aren’t conclusive because overall, I did not test most of my chips many years ago, to compare them to how they smell now.

3. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

ooh that's a good question, I didn't even think of how I'm storing them. All my wood is still in the plastic baggies they came in and have been kept inside a box that Royal Bengal Ouds sent my order in!

Chip Burns and Woodland Note like this.
  4. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

5. Mohammed Nadeem

Mohammed Nadeem Just Arrived

What about storing it in plastic containers and with silica baggies to keep moisture out?

6. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

In some areas, moisture is not the problem, the dry climate is the concern.

But if anyone chooses to use silica....make sure it’s food grade, the packets you’ll find in non food items are a type of silica which gives off cobalt gas which in turn is not safe.

7. Mohammed Nadeem

Mohammed Nadeem Just Arrived

My chips are stored in a cardboard box and the box is in a drawer which has a small silica bag. My pills are also stored in the same drawer. Thank you for the tip on Food grade silica

PS: I live in Kuwait so the temperature can get to 50 degrees and more but surely the chips are in a controlled climate, would that still be an issue?

8. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

A box in a drawer is ample insulation and is away from light, for short term storage that’s fine.

For long term, a sealed container to keep oxygen out, and keep fragrance in:Thumbsup:
    But if moisture is a concern, or the wood is relatively fresh from harvest, I would open the sealed container occasionally to make sure it stabilizes.

Arsalan likes this.
  9. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

I've prepared recently a new storage solution for my agarwood wood, sandalwood and oud oil vials. I bought a large (3.5L) glass jar with a full glass lid.

Similar to this one:
    [​IMG]
    I binned the plastic seal gasket that was included with it because it was not doing its job at all and it was smelling with something chemical, similar to cyanoacrylate glue. And I made a custom (100% natural silicone - without any additions) gasket that makes it now air-tight. And I’m quite happy with this. I also tweaked my cabinet just for this jar. Now I’m considering drilling a hole in the glass lid and installing reverse/one-way stainless steel air valve, glued also with the same silicone caulk to make vacuum inside. Light vacuum should be fine. I’m wondering though if stronger vacuum would be fine too for the wood and the vials. Wouldn’t it pop the vial caps? Or even break the vials? Hmm... and what about the wood stored in strong vacuum? Wouldn’t oils emerge to the surface of the wood or something? Hmm... Hmm...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Arsalan likes this.
  10. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

Certain food grade silica gel should be ok, I suppose, but some other might be not ok. For an example the one used as cat litter will swallow the scent molecules too. Perhaps some molecular sieves designed for H2O only would be a better choice, but I don't know.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

Promote Oud!