Muhammed Patel

Oud Beginner
Every now and then I come across articles from the agarwood producing countries such as India, Malaysia etc. which involve agarwood poachers being caught with wood and the wood getting confiscated. I was curious to know what happens to this agarwood? Does the respective government destroy it? Is it resold through legal channels?

Just a thought...would love to know the opinions of those who are in the agarwood world :)

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Every now and then I come across articles from the agarwood producing countries such as India, Malaysia etc. which involve agarwood poachers being caught with wood and the wood getting confiscated. I was curious to know what happens to this agarwood? Does the respective government destroy it? Is it resold through legal channels?

Just a thought...would love to know the opinions of those who are in the agarwood world :)

Probably depends on the country and who seized it. Some no doubt ends up back on the market through corrupt officials, while others may end up in a state laboratory or wildlife research and conservation institute like the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens in the UK. The latter I know from personal experience :oops:

I think they resale it again in auctions customs work like that usually but the smugglers get hard punishment specially in sri lanka...

Markus

Oud Beginner
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I think I'm in the same ballpark:Geek:: What are your experiences with your respective costums authorities and oud? Mine want me to pay costums for the first time since I've started on my oud journey two years ago, that is, they are asking official business documents from the vendor and me.:confused:

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Yeah, I even had sandalwood oil stopped at customs and they requested permits and other documentation (MSDS etc.) from the seller. Luckily the seller had all of this information on hand, and it passed through.

Where was this and what quantity are we talking about? :eek:

Muhammed Patel

Oud Beginner
Where was this and what quantity are we talking about? :eek:
South African customs through DHL. I purchased 6 ml of Indonesian Sandalwood from an Indonesian vendor and customs contacted me to let me know that the parcel was retained for inspection. They requested an MSDS from the seller, which he provided and everything was fine.