What do we feel about cost of Oud oils?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.P, Aug 3, 2016.

?

What do we feel about cost of Oud oil?

1. Way Overpriced

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. High

28 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Unreasonable

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Fair

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  5. Cheap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Way too cheap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

actually i meant all i have is after #120 all his oils are fresh and not cured and comes with some bubbles of water in them but after few days open on the sun they become crystal clear give it a year to see the real beauty.

Tarik and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  3. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

the only minus for me is there is no barn in it and what is hindi without the barn?
    barn without barn, sounds familiar?

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  4. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

How did you get these uncured oils from him? Are these samples or full bottles?

5. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

Pretty sure that some venders got their oil from him which is fine because he is not easily accessible to us, just like the big Lao distiller.

However the story behind an oil is a different story...

Rai Munir and peter4ptv like this.
  6. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

as i understand he never deal with samples usually a tola but i was able to get few years back my first time 1 tola and after 2 times 2 3ml. at a time all of different oils. he sent me one time some kind of new extraction oil sample with one of the order

Tarik and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  7. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

dear brother @Nikhil S
    my sincerest apologies. going back to my post i can see that i failed to properly make clear whom i am addressing. i meant to only address you directly on the first part of my post and the rest was just a general thought. my "sole" intention as someone new to this forum and the world of oudh was that some of the points that fellow members complain about doesnt exist in other fields. i dont see pcomplaininglaning about luis vuitton bag prices, or gucci sunglasses or gehrard richter painting prices, mr xyz statues, or.... also i dont see any other industry were sending samples and gifts has been a standard practice.

thats all i meant to say.

i also wanted to say i admire your transparency and objectivity. i love the fact that you give each review or comment a balanced level weight.

peace and love

Nikhil S and Rai Munir like this.
  8. Rasoul Salehi

dear @Rai Munir

multi reasons:

1) get a lay of the land. see oils from all genres but also all different known regions. knowing this is a tricky terrirory and for as many real oils there are fakes, with such divided community and IMHO har to find true master who is also objective reviewer and here to train newbies likemyself, i had to roll up my own sleeve. this is not to say there are no objective reviews (nikhil....) or there are no master (experienced users of many decades), but i havent seen a figure to take on the position of being a consumer advocate critic.

2) get to see if certain distillers have a signature running thru all or most of their oils or no. and use this info to help me select oils in future

3) find out which region or distiller's aesthetics mirror mine. at this junction of my oudh appreciation. tastes change. what i didnt enjoy eating 3 years ago i love now and vice versa... e.g i try one or two suppliers's hindi and both are very barny and i then based on these two samples come to conlusion all hindi are like that, then is a fail on my part. a missed chance to try beautiful oil like AA kalyani or lavanya.

4) create a library of scents to challenge myself with blind tasting (smelling). to sharpen my olfactory senses, most nights blind fold on i smell thru 10-20 oils at random.

5) for game night! seriously. with variosu friends we get together and each bring an oil or two, wood chip or two "blind" to the table. we dont disclose anything about it. then we play games. detective work. use deduction to find out the source of the wood for theoil, method of make, age, style, etc.

6) to see how different genre, different origin woods, different made oils age, or dont...

7) see if and how price plays a role.

reasons aplenty. some oils are just for intellectual pleasures. some for hedonistic pleasures and some for both.

if we had a publication with very strong and clearly laid out manifesto like it exists with independent reviewers of wine, movies, hifi sound systems, it would be awesome. this critic BUYS samples under annonymous name from suppliers instead of asking for samples (to avoid the 1% chance of funny business) paid publication. one that is quarterly with special editions here and there. reviews to be released oils from 10-20 or more suppliers. new releases. checks back on old oils and how they are developing, etc. etc. i would pay $150-200 a year for access to high quality, well researched, well written work. any day, any time.

hint hint wink wink @Nikhil S or anyone else up for it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Nicolas, Sproaty, Nikhil S and 2 others like this.
  9. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

@Rai Munir the main reason for samples is to train the nose. Reigons, notes, signatures, styles etc. Also samples are more affordable and less risky and a wise move before buying a full bottle. @Ouddict knows how much i love collecting samples lol

10. Rasoul Salehi

bingo. i shared many other reasons. also i compare samples and proper size purchase oil to see their aging curve. also to keep the rare funny suppliers in check (as reported no foul play yet, but is human nature, with thousand and thousands dollars at stake, the gangs and officials and officials needing to get their cut (mafia), it is not unreasonable to be extra cautious.) if forgery happens in paintings and so much more that we get to use multi senses to authenticate them, oudh oil is no different and not immune.

Rai Munir likes this.
  11. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

Dear brother. It's totally fine. No need for any apologies bro. I know your intention. I have seen you have a very good reasoning and clarity of thought. Just wanted to stress on those points for everyone.
    Love your passion and work
    I learn a lot from reading your posts.
    God bless.

Rasoul Salehi and Rai Munir like this.
  12. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

@Rasoul Salehi , @Habz786
    Yes, I got your views. In fact, I have to face a lot of difficulties in acquiring anything from abroad. First going to WU, and then calls for inquiry about the purpose of sending money. No PayPal service. Then delivery charges. I liked this idea that one may experience maximum regions in this way. Soon I will try to manage getting samples. Of course, best choice will be from some members.

Rasoul Salehi, Habz786 and Nikhil S like this.
  13. hasans1412

hasans1412 Resident Artisan

Nice! Makes me want to play that game now! :D

Rasoul Salehi, Habz786 and Nikhil S like this.
  14. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

Very honored to hear that bro. But honestly I don't own or have experience with any 550 plus oils. I have samples sent kindly to me. And luckily I have always been told by vendors to give honest criticism. And that gives me a lot of freedom. But reviewing big oils. Hmm. I am not really sure. I have burnt my hands with Kyara for my viewers haha. And that was it. Would love to have you on my channel if you wish for an Oud Collaboration. Right now, I am focusing on writing Oud reviews on basenotes. I have good friends there who love Oud. I was also working on my blog exclusive for traditional Ouds and Attars. Slightly busy with family at the moment but I will be on it. Cheers.

15. Rasoul Salehi

much respect

Nikhil S likes this.
  16. Rasoul Salehi

god speed. all the best to you and your endeavor. send us a link to the basenote threads you are active on i am sure many of us love to expand our horizons.

Nikhil S likes this.
  17. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

Brotherly advise, just pay attention when you acquire these samples if they were freshly and recently decanted from the bottle or being sitting in the sample vial for a while, otherwise these samples may not properly reflect the original oils due oxidation and/or dissipation of the airy volatile topnotes. The most resistive oils are the dense heavy on base/heartnotes oils compared to the intense airy topnotes-dominant and first fraction oils.

peter4ptv, Nikhil S, Habz786 and 2 others like this.
  18. hasans1412

hasans1412 Resident Artisan

Amazes me how you get that much time while working as a Doctor to run a channel and post with thoughts given time! So, what's your secret to time management?

Nikhil S, Rai Munir and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  19. Rasoul Salehi

noted. ty for this. i have experimented with decanting oils like 0.1gram give or take in bigger vials to train my nose on what an oxidative vs. oxidized oils smell like. i am getting a good sense but need more time and experimentation. all of this is part of the joys of oudh for me. watching its evolution, its eventual demise...

20. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Good advice from @Ammar a sample should be initially used quick, ive purchased full bottles based on samples that were oxidised so wasnt too happy when they smelt different!

Nikhil S and Rasoul Salehi like this.

Promote Oud!