Edward Muller

True Ouddict
The Misses said something to me tonight, and that triggered me to write this post. I guess it's been brewing at the back of my mind but I never really articulated it.

I have the habit of swiping oud oils 2 hours or so before bed - it is an excellent study time of the scent profile and progression of the oils, no lights, no distractions - which I find personally a much better opportunity to appreciate the beautiful creations of the resident artisans.

Oud calms and soothes me (which is one of the reasons I swipe oud during daytime), and it just makes me sleep much better.

The best part of the experience, in my opinion, is up until just shortly after the dry down sets in - where the notes have all settled down and reached equilibrium. Just like the credits that appears at the end of the movie - the part after they had displayed the names of the actors and actresses, the part where the names of the sound and special effects team are about to roll up, the part where everyone stand up and leaves the cinema.

The dry downs of oud oils (Hindi is an exception - but they do smell similar as a group of their own in the dry down), gives me an impression of a slightly citrusy vetiver profile. Some might smell clean, some might have a rubber waxy feel to them, some might have a dusty undertone... No where near as interesting as the ”main event”. It doesn't have the same calming effect, nor the breathtaking wow factor. This is the only time those surround me are okay with oud, and this is not oud.

The reason why I wear oud, is ALWAYS for personal enjoyment. Yes it can be offensive to most, but how is more offensive than the smell of old cigarette smoke, or someone with bad oral hygiene? Oud might be an unfamiliar scent to those who are not accustomed to it, but surely it doesn't deserve the same scrunched up nose and forehead as the nasty synthetics (or how about a heavy handed application of designer perfume, like... Dior Poison?).

So yes - I wear oud to work (even Hindis!) but only on my wrists. My little ”guilty” pleasures - because if I have to deal with their stinky eau de whatever, they need to deal with mine.

Oud is an acquired taste, and it's highly unlikely that one will love the ”genre” on first sniff.

All this because the Misses said to me tonight - I love you but oud is THE scent that I simply can't stand.

Now I wonder - can she develop the same love like ours for it eventually? Fingers crossed. Time to start the electrical burner.

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
My wife initially didn't like the smell of oil either. But she now likes both oil and chips - Indians of all things! She'll ask me to put some on the KZ's Subitism style heater when it gets cold with some frankincense. She like Borneo and Malaysian oils too.

Now we typically don't wear Indian oil on it's own. I will usually mix it with something else - for e.g., resins, rose, jasmine, gardenia, saffron, etc. That's another thing to consider. Now I add some ambergris for more fun. :)

EHV

Oud Fan
One of the reasons that I walked away from oud a few years ago is because of so many negative comments from family, friends and co-workers.
This was wrong and I lost out on a lot walking away. I missed how oud makes me feel, how it focuses me and literally works as an anxiolytic, antidepressant and a literal mood enhancer that has no bad side effects. (for AZ above; an SSRI/SNRI/Tricyclic/Tetracyclic/MAO/Benzodiazepine in portable, liquid form LOL

I felt like I was reliving the cologne scene from the movie Anchorman on a daily basis. :)

Interestingly, the majority of what I wore at that point were oils from Indonesia/Borneo, Brunei and Malaysia, which one would think would be friendly to Western noses unfamiliar with any oud.

Perhaps the revolution in synthetic oud scents or just the general evolution of the Western nose but upon this full force return to oud, I am actually getting compliments from friends, family and co-workers....on ALL oils including Hindi's!

The way that oud makes us feel is basically why we are all here. Yes, it can, (always to me), smell good but ultimately, the way it makes us feel, think, open up spiritual pathways and even assist prayer is what connects us to it most.

My response is basically to tell you and others if they are in the same boat to persevere with your oud journey; oil, burn, incense, however you enjoy it and try not to let outside pressure get you down or lessen your enjoyment of this amazing substance. Do whatever you have to do to wear it, use it and enjoy it and don't make the same mistake that I did.

Lastly, I say embrace the dry down! Most oils still have lots nuance left even at that point and some of them even revive when you go out into the warmth after work or get into a hot car for the drive home or go for some kind of work out later in the day and if you get a decent amount on your clothes as well as your skin, you have a terrific mix happening during the long day with a very extended dry down, lasting quite a long while.

AZsmell

True Ouddict
EHV I totally agree about different oud oils having psychoactive properties.
I was also away from the oud scene for a few years. One reason was for financial priorities. The other reason was the BS a certain vendor was spewing. I felt like oud had lost its magic and blessing for me. Unfortunately I sold almost all my collection of excellent ouds.
I came back to oud last year. Unfortunately I see the same vendor spewing the same BS.
I am stronger now and have learned to acquire oils from vendors who I feel give off a positive energy.
Sorry I know that was off topic but oud to me is very spiritual. No matter how good an oud smells I need oils made and sold with positive energy.

peter4ptv

I was also away from the oud scene for a few years. One reason was for financial priorities. The other reason was the BS a certain vendor was spewing. I felt like oud had lost its magic and blessing for me. Unfortunately I sold almost all my collection of excellent ouds.
I came back to oud last year. Unfortunately I see the same vendor spewing the same BS.
I am stronger now and have learned to acquire oils from vendors who I feel give off a positive energy.
Sorry I know that was off topic but oud to me is very spiritual. No matter how good an oud smells I need oils made and sold with positive energy.
:thumbsup:

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Oudh isn't just a scent. Oudh provides many experiences that are outside of what we classify as experiences relating to scent.

As individuals our natural disposition first, and upbringing/growth second determines what scents we can tolerate. The ability to tolerate scents can be trained and developed. Generally more developed and sophisticated noses appreciate oudh and tolerate better complex scents. Noses that are less trained and less sophisticated from an olfactory definition perspective struggle with complex scents such as musk, ambergris, oudh, rose otto etc.

Where to begin the training, first to understand that if you have been blessed with a nose that has some level of sophisticate ability, that is due to your natural disposition and the training you have had either due to upbringing or your growth in this journey. The person(s) who struggle around you to appreciate the scents you do is because their nose cant yet decipher the layers. To them as AZ mentioned, they only smell one of the scents in the array i.e in his case Tires. However we all know that there is more than just one scent profile in any given oudh. The training happens in layers for the majority of the general folk the best place is the kitchen. Playing around with the common species and herbs and being able to distinguish. Unfortunately in the modern world we have through our own doings made ourselves dumber, everything is labelled. All spices are labelled so majority go grab the bottle labelled with "clove" rather than knowing what clove looks like, smells like or tastes like and all cooking is done from a cooking book that tells you all ingredients in grams :D :D :D. Try one or two at a time remove the labels and see if you and your wife/partner/friend whomever you are training can identify the smell without the label.

Then it is time to introduce them to an oudh that has some of those spice profiles, for example a prominent cinnamon touch, or a clove touch or vanilla amongst other things and see if they can identify besides the tires some cinnamon :p

All our noses are able, they need training and we need to understand where they are at in order for us to bring them along on the journey.

None of the spices are labelled in our kitchen :D

Last edited:

Edward Muller

True Ouddict
My wife initially didn't like the smell of oil either. But she now likes both oil and chips - Indians of all things! She'll ask me to put some on the KZ's Subitism style heater when it gets cold with some frankincense. She like Borneo and Malaysian oils too.

You are so lucky @Ashfaque ... the closest thing to oud i can get her to like are perfumes with the word oud on it... like Jo Malone's Oud & Bergamot hahaha.. Any tips on converting someone over to love oud? :D

One of the reasons that I walked away from oud a few years ago is because of so many negative comments from family, friends and co-workers.
This was wrong and I lost out on a lot walking away. I missed how oud makes me feel, how it focuses me and literally works as an anxiolytic, antidepressant and a literal mood enhancer that has no bad side effects. (for AZ above; an SSRI/SNRI/Tricyclic/Tetracyclic/MAO/Benzodiazepine in portable, liquid form LOL

Yes it definitely have that effect on me too! Not a sudden burst of happiness, but feels more like a gradual increase in endorphins levels.

Interestingly, the majority of what I wore at that point were oils from Indonesia/Borneo, Brunei and Malaysia, which one would think would be friendly to Western noses unfamiliar with any oud.

Perhaps the revolution in synthetic oud scents or just the general evolution of the Western nose but upon this full force return to oud, I am actually getting compliments from friends, family and co-workers....on ALL oils including Hindi's!

The way that oud makes us feel is basically why we are all here. Yes, it can, (always to me), smell good but ultimately, the way it makes us feel, think, open up spiritual pathways and even assist prayer is what connects us to it most.

My response is basically to tell you and others if they are in the same boat to persevere with your oud journey; oil, burn, incense, however you enjoy it and try not to let outside pressure get you down or lessen your enjoyment of this amazing substance. Do whatever you have to do to wear it, use it and enjoy it and don't make the same mistake that I did.

The synthetic oud scents are still quite different though - it's as if the majority of them loves the silhouette of oud, but not the individual features... Totally agree on persevering on the oud journey - and I guess that's what I was trying to get at too! If others can stand modern obnoxious scents, they can stand natural beauties like oud... a quick sidetrack - was burning a natural blend of incense (no oud) - people's first reaction was - it smells like a hippie shop (with an slight hint of negativity towards it of course), yet they love Yankee candles... Scent is very personal indeed...

Lastly, I say embrace the dry down! Most oils still have lots nuance left even at that point and some of them even revive when you go out into the warmth after work or get into a hot car for the drive home or go for some kind of work out later in the day and if you get a decent amount on your clothes as well as your skin, you have a terrific mix happening during the long day with a very extended dry down, lasting quite a long while.

@EHV I do like the dry downs - but I LOVE everything before that. I ought to pay close attention to the dry down on a full day wear...

Watched a standup comedy special the other night - by Hannah Gadsby... At one point she mentioned art history, specifically Van Gough. During his lifetime, he sold only 1 painting. The gist of it was basically people now pay top dollars for his painting because it's Van Gough... and she ponders if paintings were un-named at the auction - would they still be sold as much as they 'should' be. She then compared Van Gough to the modern day a**, like Bill Cosby and the likes (she actually delivered quite a lot of information in a short period of time) - and yet people still appreciate his work. Some people appreciate good oil regardless of the vendor, and some need something additional, something good... it's like normal coffee beans vs fair trade coffee beans!!

Oudh isn't just a scent. Oudh provides many experiences that are outside of what we classify as experiences relating to scent.

As individuals our natural disposition first, and upbringing/growth second determines what scents we can tolerate. The ability to tolerate scents can be trained and developed. Generally more developed and sophisticated noses appreciate oudh and tolerate better complex scents. Noses that are less trained and less sophisticated from an olfactory definition perspective struggle with complex scents such as musk, ambergris, oudh, rose otto etc.

Where to begin the training, first to understand that if you have been blessed with a nose that has some level of sophisticate ability, that is due to your natural disposition and the training you have had either due to upbringing or your growth in this journey. The person(s) who struggle around you to appreciate the scents you do is because their nose cant yet decipher the layers. To them as AZ mentioned, they only smell one of the scents in the array i.e in his case Tires. However we all know that there is more than just one scent profile in any given oudh. The training happens in layers for the majority of the general folk the best place is the kitchen. Playing around with the common species and herbs and being able to distinguish. Unfortunately in the modern world we have through our own doings made ourselves dumber, everything is labelled. All spices are labelled so majority go grab the bottle labelled with "clove" rather than knowing what clove looks like, smells like or tastes like and all cooking is done from a cooking book that tells you all ingredients in grams :D :D :D. Try one or two at a time remove the labels and see if you and your wife/partner/friend whomever you are training can identify the smell without the label.

Then it is time to introduce them to an oudh that has some of those spice profiles, for example a prominent cinnamon touch, or a clove touch or vanilla amongst other things and see if they can identify besides the tires some cinnamon :p

All our noses are able, they need training and we need to understand where they are at in order for us to bring them along on the journey.

None of the spices are labelled in our kitchen :D

I wish I could articulate as well as you do!
Yes I had tried doing what you mentioned before using various oils with Vanilla profile - to me it smells absolutely beautiful but to her, it doesnt matter, at all. I feel like people NEED to have at least an interest in oud (seeing it as more than a fragrance for wearing, but rather an experience for themselves and not others). At the end of the day - all we can do is to keep training ourselves, and stick to what we love - a lot like Romeo & Juliet hahaha. Let's hope the day of actual oud getting accepted by the general public is not too far ahead...

It's a lot like appreciating Blue Cheese... personally i don't get what some people's obsession for it is. The cheese is smelly, but it's below my threshold, so sure I will have a piece - but to me its just cheese :p I am certain there is a cheese forum out there with cheese obsessed people talking about people like me...

Now all the talks of spices are making me hungry...

EHV

Oud Fan
OUTSTANDING! Just a fantastic idea. :)

I have this bottle of "Grade AAA" *Musk* from Ajmal dating back to around 2011. It is the single nastiest composition that I have ever encountered. Based on your idea, I think that I will give that a wear to work and see how it turns out. Perhaps, after wearing that, everything else will be perceived as absolute ambrosia on my skin. LOL

I let my wife smell civet absolute neat. After that everything is honky dory. :p

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
OUTSTANDING! Just a fantastic idea. :)

I have this bottle of "Grade AAA" *Musk* from Ajmal dating back to around 2011. It is the single nastiest composition that I have ever encountered. Based on your idea, I think that I will give that a wear to work and see how it turns out. Perhaps, after wearing that, everything else will be perceived as absolute ambrosia on my skin. LOL
Already done it, it works :Roflmao::Roflmao: to be fully honnest it was the AA

Grega

True Ouddict
:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:
Problem is she'll be very upset. Let me know if you try it. :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

Update: She's taking her qailoolah (afternoon sleep) now. Hmmm!!! To be or not to be!
O oh, dangerous! :D